2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Newly badged GE8 w/ solution for all you Northerners w/ stolen type R red badges

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Newly badged GE8 w/ solution for all you Northerners w/ stolen type R red badges

This afternoon I got the chance to install my new red badges I ordered as well as my RS badge. I've read many a thread about people getting their type R badges stolen (mostly northerners in New York, Chicago, etc.). I live in the south and wouldn't think we have that much of a issue with it since the running stereo type down here is the bigger the better (big trucks, excursions, etc.)

I'm not interested in taking any chances with my badges since they did cost me about $100. Most installs I've seen people have just snipped the tabs off the back of both the stock badges to get them off but also the red type R badges to put them on. The holes from the stock badges do not line up with the tabs from the type R red badges.

My solution was measuring the tabs on the red type R badge, marking their location on the vehicle and drilling new holes for the tabs to slide into. The stock badges tabs have a sort of fastener/grommet holding them tight to the vehicle because there is no adhesive on the back of the badge. I went to Ace Hardware and after a bit of digging in the specialty screw section I discovered a "#6 push fastener". It functions exactly as the fastener on the stock badge does and secured the red type R badge securely to the vehicle. This prevents someone from pulling your badge off your vehicle because the fastener works as sort of a nut behind the tab.

Thought you guys might want to know about this amazing little fastener and if you take just about 10-15 extra minutes to mark and drill the holes for the tabs on the badge it will prevent douche bags from popping the badge right off your car and going on their merry way. I've attached images for reference. #6 Zinc push fastener. Good luck!

Old 10-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Nice work, but that's hardly going to stop them.

Thieves will even steal the OEM chrome base model "H"s and "A"s, the ones that are still held on with those factory metal retainers, it does not matter to them, they will damage your car in the process. Thankfully the front grill on the Fit isn't a big deal if it gets damaged, but the rear trim piece on the Fit hatch looks like it could be a pain to remove and replace.

But at least you secured them properly. Still very good info.

Last edited by Koala Yummies; 10-03-2009 at 03:55 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Yes is someone wants what you have bad enough they will find a way to get it no doubt. This will hopefully deter someone just long enough for someone else to see them, the owner to come back, etc.

Hope this info helps some of the fit freak members though.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:40 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
those actually dont help... the OEM badges have the same thing and look how easy they are to remove... a flathead to the emblem and it comes right off.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
i was hoping i was going to see a shaved GE8.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
yeah, i was thinking about these badges but 100 bux will come and go...no matter how u mount'em. ur better off krazy gluin them on and then tie a big pitbull to ur car if u want to protect those badges here in HI.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, all you're going to net from that are screwdriver leverage marks around the emblem.

they'll find a way to remove it. hell, they will take your whole hatch gate.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
Even though if they want them they will take them, I also decided to do the same thing. The idea came to me from going thru the install instructions for the JDM garnish (Honda says to drill the center guiding pin and use the grommet)... It also says to install the grommets with an 8mm socket (if I recall correctly), in case anyone wants to know the 3mm grommets for the pins is part # 90301-ST0-003. I was thinking about using some epoxy or something for extra adhesion, and some clear silicone around the slight gap/edges to make it harder to pry screwdriver in there. Ofcourse that might make them do more damage, but I'm hoping the aftermarket motion sensor alarm will help deter them.

So I guess the Type-R badges don't come with the grommets?

Old 12-10-2009, 02:41 AM
5 Year Member
i'm from vancouver canada and i've gotten mine stolen TWICE! its pretty sad when kids steal them to put on their high school agendas.... i'm waiting for someone to figure out how to make them non steal-able..

Old 12-10-2009, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
stolen in van-city? Damn I didn't think it'd be that bad there...you weren't parked in East Hastings were you? :P

As for making them non-steable, I don't think that'll be happening unless your forge the emblem into the car, by which you'll probably have scratches all over your car from someone *trying* to steal it.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
Welllll, they do look sorta purty there fellas, but there's no wayhinhell I would part with my hard earned $100 jist for a red badge thingy or two on my autocar!! -And I can't understand whyhinhell any fool would be interested in stealing one a them neither?

Gawd! -The illusions we fall for......

Old 12-10-2009, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by M4psycho
stolen in van-city? Damn I didn't think it'd be that bad there...you weren't parked in East Hastings were you? :P

As for making them non-steable, I don't think that'll be happening unless your forge the emblem into the car, by which you'll probably have scratches all over your car from someone *trying* to steal it.
far from it! i'm by richmond! damn kids

Old 12-11-2009, 01:27 AM
for the rear honda badge, does yours (or anyone elses) have an issue with the bottom 1/8th of the actual emblem sticking to the garnish? since the garnish has a slight cut angle to it and the emblem does not, if i look carefully, the bottom bit of adhesive on my jdm badge for the rear isn't adhered to the garnish, causing a slight, and i mean a slight gap.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 90 DGRZ
for the rear honda badge, does yours (or anyone elses) have an issue with the bottom 1/8th of the actual emblem sticking to the garnish? since the garnish has a slight cut angle to it and the emblem does not, if i look carefully, the bottom bit of adhesive on my jdm badge for the rear isn't adhered to the garnish, causing a slight, and i mean a slight gap.
Yeah, there is a slight gap. It is very slight like you said, but if you wanted it to sit flush you could probably use a dremel and shave the back side of the emblem to have a slight curve to form to the garnish... I think

Old 12-11-2009, 01:58 AM
oh alrighty, that makes me feel a bit better. lol.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chazzlee
Welllll, they do look sorta purty there fellas, but there's no wayhinhell I would part with my hard earned $100 jist for a red badge thingy or two on my autocar!! -And I can't understand whyhinhell any fool would be interested in stealing one a them neither?

Gawd! -The illusions we fall for......
People like me pay for them because they have a really sharp look to them. If you don't feel that it's worth your money then that's your opinion on the matter. It's the same for people spending excessive amounts of money on designer labels, expensive power cars (where you'll never use the full power of the car anyways), or anything of the nature. If you could find a cheaper alternative for the same look (and no i'm not saying use a red sticker like some people have. Looks decent but not the same IMO), then I'm sure you'd have 90% of the people here, including myself, who have JDM badges that would be buying those instead.

On that note, people steal the badges beceause they look cool, they're easy to steal, it'd be an essentially free toy, and for some people they know that these things are expensive. In a lot of people's eyes that's enough justification for stealing them.