2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Ok... about the Fit's "Slowness"

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member
ok... I'll weigh in here. The FIT, obviously, is not loaded with HP but for comparison/reference sake:
The 2009 FIT Sport weighs in at 2520lbs and has 117hp/106ft-lbs of torque.
The 2005 Civic EX 4Dr weighs in at 2612lbs and has 127hp/114ft-lbs of torque (this is not SAE corrected)
The 1998 Civic EX 4Dr weighs in at 2511lbs, and has 127hp/107ft-lbs of torque (again Not SAE corrected)

The 98 Civic was considered sporty (We owned one) and it had decent power by the day's standards. Adjust for the SAE corrections and it had only a few hp more than the current FIT. The fit's Drivetrain is more efficient so I'd guess that the Fit puts almost Identical or even better numbers to the ground that the Civic. The 2005 with SAE corrections would probably come out just above the Fit in power/torque but it is a porker... The fit is more economical and versatile than the Civic and also handles close to the civic as far as feel (I'm remembering our 98 EX Coupe with a Strut Tower Brace) and is definitely a sporty ride.

I have no problems passing in traffic or on country roads here in VT. I had a Saab 9-3 that wanted to "go" on some windy roads... he passed me right away to show me the "power" and then we got to the turns... From that point on, I was right behind him.

Someone else brought up best and worst rides... Best ride (I owned) was my 2000 Integra GS-R. Worst ride (that I regularly drove) was my Dad's 81 Rabbit Diesel Pickup (52hp and an AM/FM radio).

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 09-23-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Nobody is forever happy. Over on the Jeep boards, guys are always looking for more power and/or better gas mileage.

BTW, if my admittedly porous memory is any good at all, my long-ago CRX Si had 90 horses to move a little less than a ton. It was considered a quick little car ('...runs like a small block...' opined a late buddy). The Fit has 117 horses for 2600 lbs. Do the math; around 21-22 pounds for each horse to move, and a 0-60 where, under 9 seconds? There has been an overall performance increase in the intervening 20 years, of course.
My wife and I are car shopping to replace her Passat. She wants the same (or more) space, better fuel economy, reliability, ALL the amenities, for the same money that the Passat cost 9 years ago. This is known as 'feminine reasoning'.
Somehow it reminded me of this discussion...
Moon

Old 09-23-2009, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
Power is all in your point of view. I usually drive our BMW 335i, with twin turbos and 300 hp - really great acceleration. Over the years, I have driven both fast and slow cars. I once had a '78 Rabbit Diesel with 48 horsepower; that was truly underpowered. The one time I tried running it flat out to determine top speed, I quit at 78 mph after a fairly long run. Still, the car was enjoyable. My wife's GE8 (in that shocking Orange Revolution color) is still great fun to drive. Acceleration is lively enough at lower speeds. You would need to use sane judgment if pulling out to pass on a two lane country road.
There is one such stretch of road in our area, with 55 mph speed limited, many limited visibility curves, and many crosses planted and maintained at certain spots along its extent. However, the Fit is very predictable, and I clearly know what I CAN'T do with it, so I can enjoy what acceleration it possesses, without ever getting into trouble.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:04 PM
I do 80 mph on interstates all the time. Its quick and nimble in the low end, tall geared in the high end, and if you need to pass you click your paddle shifter or clutch for you manual people.

Now if you have a base model auto that could be slow.

The only time my fit is slow is when there is someone in the passenger seat and the a/c is on. Then its a snail.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Banned
IMHO:

if you bought your Fit for outright speed jump off a cliff now

If you bought your Fit for an economical, good handling, cavernous, good looking (in some cases ) DD you've made the right choice

Think of the Fit as the new civic hatch, slow stock but a great aftermarket

Old 09-23-2009, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jelliotlevy
I once had a '78 Rabbit Diesel with 48 horsepower; that was truly underpowered. The one time I tried running it flat out to determine top speed, I quit at 78 mph after a fairly long run. Still, the car was enjoyable.
You must have had the 5sp manual. our 81/82 Rabbit Diesel Pickup (can't remember the year) was a 4sp manual and maxed out around 65mph.

~SB

Old 09-23-2009, 09:42 PM
This is an old article all Fit owners need to read and hopefully can relate to.
Slow Cars - Tweaked Economy Cars - Slow Is The New Fast - Automobile Magazine

This is an old article that has been discussed but I want to share it to the newer owners.

Original thread...
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-joy-slow.html

Old 09-23-2009, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
You guys must not have known that he governor on the diesel Rabbits could easily be adjusted to allow an easy 80 MPH cruise speed on 4 speed models and even higher on 5 speeds.... I loved those little trucks and hatch backs.... 54.7 MPG consistently is what I was getting in an 82 5 speed 4 door Rabbit.... The only thing I have owned since that would beat it was a Honda Helix scooter... It had a little slower top end speed but would cruise at 70.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08

This is an old article that has been discussed but I want to share it to the newer owners.

Original thread...
I owned the first car pictured on the 2nd page of that article.... It was so slow it was nerve racking to drive except at about three in the morning when the streets were empty.... Kids on Sting Ray bicycles would laugh at me as they passed me while riding on the side walk, and that is not a lie.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
You guys must not have known that he governor on the diesel Rabbits could easily be adjusted to allow an easy 80 MPH cruise speed on 4 speed models and even higher on 5 speeds.... I loved those little trucks and hatch backs.... 54.7 MPG consistently is what I was getting in an 82 5 speed 4 door Rabbit.... The only thing I have owned since that would beat it was a Honda Helix scooter... It had a little slower top end speed but would cruise at 70.
From what I remember, the RPM's were way up there on the Rabbit D Truck. Although I could be wrong because I don't think it had a Tach. I just remember it revving and being really REALLY loud at about 60mph.

~SB

Old 09-23-2009, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
hellz yeah to the ancient vdub diesels! i remember riding shotgun with my dad as a four year-old as we pulled out of the dealership in his new 79 dasher diesel. Not sure if it has the same running gear, but it was fun to "smokescreen" the tailgaters behind us (downshift and engine brake), as the dasher did anything but dash. Cool car. So is the Fit! Maybe I should paint my white base GE the same ugly dark brick red as the Dasher...

Old 09-23-2009, 11:23 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Committobefit08

Original thread...
Good article and so true. So has anybody else been driving like a maniac since this thread started? It feels like my Fit has something to prove.

Might have to get the Omni out tommorow.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:55 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by guitar_trance
Yeah, but I always drive like I'm late, within reason, of course... whether I'm late or not. It's just how I drive.

I was feeling a little guilty driving the Fit like that...
That's another great thing about the Fit. No need to feel guilty for flogging it. I got in my wife's 180hp Turbo 1.8 Jetta yesterday and it felt slow to me at first because I'm so used to driving the Fit to it's full potential all the time. The only thing that makes me feel guilty is the MPG gauge. I'll probably never have MPG to brag about but I have a good time getting around and still manage around 30 mpg buzzing around the city.

Originally Posted by guitar_trance
you're in front of her and not going at least 5 miles over the limit then she's right on your bumper. I go off on her for doing that. It's obviously not safe... especially the way people drive these days. (applying makeup, cellphones, yappin' without paying attention to the road, etc.)
I won't ride with her anymore... it's chaotic! I have to drive!
Oh my wife tailgates like that too but she's a fairly slow driver. Totally unaware of what cars are doing around her.

Today she was driving with the wipers on delay in the slowest setting and it was POURING. I just had to be quiet. I have to keep my mouth shut when I ride with her or I'll get slugged. She's fairly tolerant of my driving though.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
I can't imagine driving my car slow except on the access easement to my home. The weather has been moist and cool so I am feeling he full benefits of the super charger so it is hard to go to town and back without seeing three digits on the speedometer at least once where before I installed it 90 MPH but it took a bit longer to get there.... Who would believe a car that is registered as a station wagon could be so fun on a twisting country road or manuvering through heavy city traffic.... My son is a tower worker and is also certified in high altitude rescue, that rock climbs as a hobby, but when he is in my little car he screams like a little girl, and even more so with the S/C.... One of his cars is an Acura RDX.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
Well, I came from a 91 Civic DX. The Fit is much faster than my previous car by leaps and bounds. Of course the Fit isn't like a Corvette or anything but still it can be fast and fun to drive if you use it appropriately.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
ive driven quite a few cars in the past and from the way people talk about the fit its like it is the slowest thing EVARR.. but in reality it has about as much acceleration as most other economy cars lol..

my friends evo IX on the other hand... AWD and 400hp make a big difference.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:21 AM
For those who think the Fit is slow. I've been driving my Dad's Citroen Berlingo Van (59 KW 1.4L - uses a calendar, not a Speedo). Kind of puts it into perspective.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
it is slow...i hope they can do a k20 swap for an auto eventually....(why did i get auto..i dunno...). or at least a good turbo kit for an automatic ge.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:56 AM
5 Year Member
It feels slow because you got the automatic. The manual is faster, and gives you something to do while you wait.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
Imagine what it was like crossing the country in a 65 VW Micro Bus full of stoned freaks.... I don't have to imagine, and it was a wonderful trip and I do mean "trip".

Quick Reply: Ok... about the Fit's "Slowness"