2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Ok... about the Fit's "Slowness"

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
My wife and I took a trip to San Jose on Saturday. It was the first highway trip in my 09. I can definitely tell where they came up with the term "Road Sailing" for other markets. The lane change speed and the overall ability to sail through traffic is ridiculous. The only time I got a little nervous was on the way back as I was closing in on Monterey Peninsula. The wind started picking up and I said to my wife, "All this thing needs is a little bit wider tires, a little bit lower stance with a little stiffer springs, and/or MAYBE some thicker sway bars."

Old 09-21-2009, 11:01 AM
My previous car was a 91 AT. Volvo wagon. Same HP as the FIT but 4500 lbs. That's slow!

Old 09-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by Red 05
For those who are complaining about the lack of horsepower, you haven't let the engine over 5800 RPM, which is when the power REALLY kicks in.
Yes...downshift, downshift, downshift. Whip the hamsters. If you've got paddles or a stick, use them! If you've got a base, you can still downshift, it's just not as fun.

If you're having trouble getting up to speed even after you get the engine buzzing....maybe go on a diet?

Old 09-21-2009, 08:21 PM
I dunno...ever try making a pass on an uphill?

Down 3 gears, and the Fit is just wheezing

Old 09-21-2009, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
PilotSi

Ill have you know you've butchered that Sterling Moss Quote....

It is "There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love."

Make more sense than what you got there eh...

Sorry you can have your thread back now

Old 09-21-2009, 10:46 PM
fit is slow compared to my other car but it is peppy..

Old 09-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Banned
Cool Pontiac! Nice 1/4 mile time too. That on street tires?

Old 09-21-2009, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Chad T
Cool Pontiac! Nice 1/4 mile time too. That on street tires?
yep 19" street tires at 34 psi

look at my introduction thread i got a link to it running and u'll find lots of other vids there also..

but yea just got my fit today seems like a GREAT car.

i just need to search around and see if there is any free mods for it and stuff like that..

Old 09-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
you guys are still talking about how 'slow' the car is huh? hahaha. it's not slow, you're just pushing too hard.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mugen666
Yes, the CRX and 4th gen Civic Si came with a D16A6 motor. SOHC 1.5 for non Si models and 1.6 SOHC for Si models. In stock form, the Si motor put out 108 HP at the crank. It doesn't take much to get the HP up on those motors.

People swapped other motors into the CRX's and Civics. In Japan, the Civics came with a ZC motor which was DOHC. I had one of those in my Civic. As well as a JR supercharger and a Zex Dry Nitrous kit.

I miss my 89 Civic Si. That car was amazing.

A buddy of mine has an EF with an Integra Type R motor in it (B18C6). He just got into the 10's at the local 1/4 mile track. Street legal, too.

well if you would like to go over seas thats a different story,,,, you dont have to lecture me about hondas... been in it for 9 years.... my motor... JDM D15B

Old 09-22-2009, 08:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by guitar_trance
So here goes. I continue hearing lament from people, even Fit owners, about how slow the Fit is.

From test drive to ownership I can't see where the Fit is all that slow... I really can't. At least, i can't see it, yet. I actually wonder if I either got a Fit with some kind of "special zip' no one else seems to have gotten, or, will some of you just never be satisfied with the speed most consumer vehicles give or rather, allow you? Keep in mind, my opinion on Fit's speed is coming from someone who drives a very high-powered 8 cyl SUV.

I was getting some service work done the other day. While I was at the counter, a guy came in to bring his wife's Fit in for an oil change. The service guy asked him what he thought of "his" new Fit. The guy said, "Hey, don't attach that little piece of crap toy to me... it's my wife's car... I'm just bringing it in for service." He continued, "I've driven some cars with no power before, but that thing has to be the worst excuse for power, even for an economy car, I've ever driven. But, my wife loves it, so, what are you gonna' say?"

So my real question for Fit owners, and the reason for this thread, is this:

In what specific situations are you owners experiencing the Fit's supposed extreme lack of power the most? When is it the most noticeable for you?

I don't think it's anywhere near as slow/sluggish as some seem to indicate. Matter of fact, I have yet to experience anything I would actually call slow or even sluggish. Most of you who think otherwise must have driven Porsches or better at a previous point in your lives! Maybe I was expecting so very little from the Fit before purchasing that it actually turned out better than I thought it would.

For you modders, aside from the fun of customization itself, why didn't you just buy a car with [at least] a little more power, rather than the continuous lament over the Fit's lack of power, and the constant quest to give it more? Seems, in the long run, you could have just saved a lot of money by going for a bit more power to begin with.

Thanks for replies... consider it a personal survey!

BTW... I realize I've posted a similar thread in the past. But I started this one for more input, and because my experience with the Fit is an ever-changing and ongoing one. I get some type of question about, or comment on the Fit daily.

The 'slowness' is related to the acceleration needed to pass another vehicle or to get from one corner to the next. Typically a Fit Sport takes from 18 to 19 seconds to accelerate from 60 to 100 mph. Its the slowest of all my cars ... and trucks. None take longer than 12 seconds and most are around 8 to 10 seconds.
At any stoplight if a car pulls up along side to your right you needn't expect anything but that he will pull out in front and cross in front of you, even all the way to the left turn lane in less than 50 yards. Thats why most people call the Fit slow.
My 1600 cc CRX, however, will accelerate so much faster that its almost impossible to have that manuever pulled on me and in fact more likely he'll only see my taillights. The CRX gets over 30 mpg routinely so good mpg is not necessarily slow. The Fit just doesn't match Hondas image of quickness with good mpg and for the life of me can't figure out why.
As you noted, you just have to treat the Fit as a daily go-fer car and it works out fine.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Roadent
Actually, I got the Fit because I couldn't afford a Lotus Elise. I somehow don't think I could have gotten 5 bales of pine straw in an Elise.
Here's my brother's Lotus Elise and his ('04 or '05) STi. I have driven both and will have to say the Subaru is more impressive. My brother agreed too as he ended up selling the Elise and keeping the Subie as it was more fun to drive.....

Name:  mycars2005_0403af.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  56.3 KB

Old 09-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by mahout
The 'slowness' is related to the acceleration needed to pass another vehicle or to get from one corner to the next. Typically a Fit Sport takes from 18 to 19 seconds to accelerate from 60 to 100 mph. Its the slowest of all my cars ... and trucks. None take longer than 12 seconds and most are around 8 to 10 seconds.
At any stoplight if a car pulls up along side to your right you needn't expect anything but that he will pull out in front and cross in front of you, even all the way to the left turn lane in less than 50 yards. Thats why most people call the Fit slow.
My 1600 cc CRX, however, will accelerate so much faster that its almost impossible to have that manuever pulled on me and in fact more likely he'll only see my taillights. The CRX gets over 30 mpg routinely so good mpg is not necessarily slow. The Fit just doesn't match Hondas image of quickness with good mpg and for the life of me can't figure out why.
As you noted, you just have to treat the Fit as a daily go-fer car and it works out fine.
I mostly agree but 90% of the time the person next to me at a light is not paying attention (or slow reaction time) to the light and or is not racing so I am able to get in front of them no problem even if the Fit is slow 0-60. I blow away corvettes and mustangs all day without even pushing the Fit past 4K rpm because half the time they are too busy talking on their cell phone and don't realize the light changes .
You hit the nail on the head though. The Fit is a daily go-fer car... On public streets that's all we all really need.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
I see your point, but here in New York, the speed limit is still 55 (65 on the interstate) last I checked. If you were expecting a stoplight racer, you probably bought the wrong car.

I'm no expert on Hondas, but I'm willing to bet your CRX is a good bit lighter in weight than the Fit. I'm shocked at how heavy the fit is considering the small size. It weighs as much as my '02 Neon did. Unfortunately, government safety and emissions mandates have made all cars heavier over the years. Then again, I only weigh 150#, and I'm usually alone, and that may be why the car feels faster to me.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 09-22-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:35 AM
60-100 time? Last time I got near that speed the local sheriff hauled me before the judge. I have no problem passing on the interstate-even going up hill in the Arizona mountains, and they get pretty steep here.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
Want more horsepower for the same price? Buy a Kia. Want a car that doesn't suck and is as reliable as the universe? Buy a Honda.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 90crxfreak
well if you would like to go over seas thats a different story,,,, you dont have to lecture me about hondas... been in it for 9 years.... my motor... JDM D15B
Not lecturing you, friend. I thought maybe it would be nice to start a dialog between people who love EF's. Sorry if I took your reply the worng way.

god bless

BTW, I've been working with Hondas for over 35 years. Way before modding them was as popular as it is now.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Red 05..buy a Kia, and the clutch goes out in 6 months, and the "Warranty" is a joke. I had one, and what a nightmare that was!. I'll stick with Honda.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by citabria7
Red 05..buy a Kia, and the clutch goes out in 6 months, and the "Warranty" is a joke. I had one, and what a nightmare that was!. I'll stick with Honda.
After reading way too many horror stories on the interwebs about warranty claims and things that go in less than 20,000 miles, I knew the only two cars I was considering was a new PT or the Fit. Glad I went with the Fit!

Old 09-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Red 05..I had a PT, an 06. Really nice at first, but most PT's lost their brakes at 25,000 miles, almost always requiring new calipers. Electronics were garbage, and I swear, they are designed to go haywire at warranty expiration. Mine did it at 36,002 miles. Literally 2 miles after expiration. Dealer shrugged. Really happy to have my Fit. Much more fun to drive, faster, twice the mpg, handles better, more room everything works and just a better car..by far.

Quick Reply: Ok... about the Fit's "Slowness"