2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Ok... about the Fit's "Slowness"

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Mela..yeah, my 87 Nissan Pulsar--70hp, 89 Civic--70HP, 86 Celica..105 hp, if I recall correctly, my 95 Civic, around 100 hp. Compared to them the 117hp Fit is pretty good. As good as my Mustang GT, or my Solstice? No, but it is actualy more fun then the GT. The Solstice...that's a whole other ball game, so not a reasonable comparison.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
Absolutely right citabria.
I could whine and complain all day long about my Fit not being as fast as my hubby's Impreza WRX STI, but I don't, because I know I have a great, reliable car that I love and love to drive. (And he likes to drive it too, sometimes, beacuse he says it was a real surprise to him how nice it handles).

BTW, love the Solstice!!

Old 09-20-2009, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
the "117hp" is to the crank which means about only 90-95 actual hp to the wheels. now if you want to compare it to the 89 civic, that was a much lighter car then the fit.

and for those who say 1.5's are slow... my other car is a 1.5L crx that has 130hp and i get up to 40mpg with that car..... thats on a stock motor with little mods..... an exhaust... that motor was built in the 90's... how come they cant get anywhere near that these days

Old 09-20-2009, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lek
I did 5 major things I love to improve the car.

1. Mugen seats.
2. 16" Wheels and tires
3. Coilovers.
4. Engine re-flash for more power.
5. Air filter/spark plugs and other bits.

I had a company do it for me.

[url=http://www.hondajazzlover.com/forum/index.php?topic=10667.0[/url] scroll down the pages to 3-5 and look at the pics.
Since this web page is in Thai (?), it's a little hard for most of us to follow. There is a dyno chart:

Is it reasonable to assume that the green traces are before and blue after? If so, this looks like about a 7% performance improvement across the board from just an engine reflash, air filter, and plugs.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
damn... where can i get a reflash in NJ? and... if I do, how many warranties will i void?

Old 09-20-2009, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
I've had the fit up to 80 and it wasn't even breaking a sweat. In fact, I didn't even notice I was doing 80! I typically hang around 65-70 on highway/expressway and don't get hassled by the cops. It's very easy to speed in the fit. It seriously has no problems- as though 65 is just to darn slow for it! But I guess you have to define 'slow' when talking about the fit. The fit can do a 100 easy, I'm sure of it- if not more. So it's not slow in that context. The fit doesn't seem to be slow off the line either, in general traffic. I don't hold anybody up, that's for sure. Fact is, for me the fit zips! Even on hills it's ok. You just have to anticipate and maintain speed. Can it win a sprint with a smokin sports car? I think not. But can it keep up and win a race? I'd think so! Coming from an 8 cylinder Cougar, which could rip up the road, the fit more than surprises me. It's no trouble at all in any instance, and I'm talking a stock 09 sport from top to bottom .

Dan

Last edited by Shockwave199; 09-20-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
I am about 2 miles to grocery store. I find it fast enough. I have not been passed yet when hauling the groceries.

Yes it is rather slow getting up to speed when trying to pass on a two lane so you need to be careful. Other than that it keeps up with traffic just fine. It does tend to want to exceed speed limits though.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 90crxfreak
the "117hp" is to the crank which means about only 90-95 actual hp to the wheels. now if you want to compare it to the 89 civic, that was a much lighter car then the fit.

and for those who say 1.5's are slow... my other car is a 1.5L crx that has 130hp and i get up to 40mpg with that car..... thats on a stock motor with little mods..... an exhaust... that motor was built in the 90's... how come they cant get anywhere near that these days
I find the improvements in engine efficiency absolutely astounding. My first car was a 1956 Mercedes 190SL, which weighed about the same (2600 pounds) as a Fit, with a 1900cc engine that was rated at 105 bhp, and got between 18-22 mpg. The 190SL was marketed as a sports car, while the Fit is marketed as an econo car. The CRX had a DOHC engine that was more highly tuned than the Fit's engine, so of course it makes more power.

Last edited by Selden; 09-20-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
I've had a 80 rx7 auto, 85 rx7 manual, and I still have my 91 accord lx automatic, and now I own a 09 Fit Manual. The rx7's and the accord have about the same weight, but the accord is bigger, and was as fast as the rx7's, but the rx7's would pwn it in handling.

I am very happy with my Fit, it has enough zip to get me around, and if anything its as fast or faster then my 91 accord.

Everyone should know that automatics like to make power disapear. My accord puts down 110whp, 108wtq (if it was manual it would be 130whp), I'm pretty sure that the Fit manual is putting down pretty dam close to my 91 auto accord to the wheels, with a weight savings of 2-300 lbs, more versatility, cargo capacity, and i'm pretty sure it could keep up with my old rx7 even in the corners.

When I first test drove the fit manual (not the one I bought), it does like to be driven "sporty", and after i got my fit i've been driving it economically (for the first 600 miles), it responds very well to either situation, if you want power though your going to have to rev it over 3k. I have yet to enjoy the "vtec", so I'll have to report back on that later. I do notice a nice increase in power from 3-4k rpm's (haven't taken it over 4k yet). Under 3k rpms the cam profile is definately economy. I can't wait to let the vtec scream thou.

In the end its really about the power to weight ratio. Compared to my accord, it should be just as fast, can haul alot more cargo (if i go and buy a large trash can in the accord, my girlfriend has to sit in the back, and the trash can rides shotgun), can outhandle my Accord, and gets over 10mpg more then the Accord.

So far for me the Fit is definately "GO". Honda love baby!

Old 09-20-2009, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vash9
The Fit is faster than me on foot.

i'm not complaining.
+2 and rep

Old 09-20-2009, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
The fit is as slow or as fast as the driver wants it to be...

Old 09-20-2009, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by teamkitty
The fit is as slow or as fast as the driver wants it to be...
That sucks, but still a dam good quote!

I take it you got stopped for speeding?

Old 09-20-2009, 08:38 PM
90crxfreak...The other hp ratings were at the crank also. None of the other cars I noted were as fast as the Fit, except the Mustang and Solstice, of course. Honda could make the same hp ratings but we are talking different engines, with different purposes, including satisifying the damnable EPA loonie toons. I guess the whole lesson is, test drive the car before someone buys it. If they are not happy with what they feel, buy something else. I am sure someone could find one of the new Cadillac sport wagons that look like the Magnum, with more power, and 20 mpg at $50,000 that would have enough power.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by citabria7
I am sure someone could find one of the new Cadillac sport wagons that look like the Magnum, with more power, and 20 mpg at $50,000 that would have enough power.
And about the same cargo space as a Fit...

Old 09-20-2009, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
For those who are complaining about the lack of horsepower, you haven't let the engine over 5800 RPM, which is when the power REALLY kicks in. It helps to drive a manual to ease the extra ratational mass of an auto tranny.

I used to drive a 150 HP Pt Cruiser. It was no slouch, but then again was no rocket ship. The Fit is noticeably quicker. It's not on the level of my dad's 05 Turbo PT, but it's a blast! It's exactly what I wanted when I was looking for a car: small, practical, economical and fun to drive. The next car I thought met those requirements was the VW Golf GTI, which I can't afford.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
Slow yes it is for sure. Hmm V8 suv now thats fast. Depends on what ur use to driving. I came from a V8 a 98 cobra and a 03 evo that was puting 330awhp down. So to me yea the fit was very slow!! Thats why i got rid of it now it was fun sometimes i give it that and still the best DD i have owned. But my CR is not fast ether just fast enough for me to want it and not hate it.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Red05..yeah, my PT was OK, but noticably slower than the FIT. At 36,002 miles, 2 after the warranty expired, the electronics went south. Started with the air temp guage. It was 87 degrees outside, and the temp guage read 37 degrees below zero. Got worse from there. Luckily, I got a real good deal on the Fit on the last day of the month. Hundreds off of sticker, and $3,500 more in trade than any other dealer would give on the PT. Real happy with the Fit for hauling and trips to Disneyland loaded with the kids.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Selden
The CRX had a DOHC engine that was more highly tuned than the Fit's engine, so of course it makes more power.
the usdm crx never came in a dohc form, nor was there ever a 1.5 in a dohc form..... mine is a sohc like the fit w/ same displacement and has more hp

Old 09-21-2009, 02:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 90crxfreak
the usdm crx never came in a dohc form, nor was there ever a 1.5 in a dohc form..... mine is a sohc like the fit w/ same displacement and has more hp
Yes, the CRX and 4th gen Civic Si came with a D16A6 motor. SOHC 1.5 for non Si models and 1.6 SOHC for Si models. In stock form, the Si motor put out 108 HP at the crank. It doesn't take much to get the HP up on those motors.

People swapped other motors into the CRX's and Civics. In Japan, the Civics came with a ZC motor which was DOHC. I had one of those in my Civic. As well as a JR supercharger and a Zex Dry Nitrous kit.

I miss my 89 Civic Si. That car was amazing.

A buddy of mine has an EF with an Integra Type R motor in it (B18C6). He just got into the 10's at the local 1/4 mile track. Street legal, too.

Last edited by mugen666; 09-21-2009 at 02:29 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Roadent
Hey guys and gals, I bought the Fit because of handling, low weight and a high revving, reliable engine. I've driven a '71 BMW 2002 w/200 hp and 2100 #'s at Road Atlanta to victory in it's class at the Walter Mitty in the mid 80's. The Fit is more fun to drive 'cause you couldn't open the BMW up on the streets. You can drive the crap out of Fit and have a ball! When Americans talk about slow, it's that stupid straight line stuff! Cheez, if you want g-force thrills TURN THE STEERING WHEEL! Little cars are made for flying around corners, you somehow get them up to speed and then YOU DON'T SLOW DOWN! I took my '09 MT to "The Tail of the Dragon" in eastern TN and ended up chasing an Eclipse and a Caymen (sp). I was on their bumpers all the way! The tire patch on one of their tires was bigger than all four of mine. The gear spread on the Fit 5-spd was perfect for hauling booty and staying on cam through those tight curves. I haven't had a trill like that since Road Atlanta. BTW it was after the season, i.e., there wasn't anyone on the road but the three of us. Slow?! Ha, you guys just don't know how to drive.

I love to hear the engine wind out, I never floor the accelerator, just far enough down to feel some good pull. To me, cars seem to go slower with the pedal on the floor, I just give it plenty of pedal and let it rev. Drag racing from a stop is definitely not the Fit's strong point, but its got nice pull through all the gears, I think it changes speed nicely in fifth if your above 80! I must admit, I'm shocked at the comparisons with older muscle cars, my BMW was 7 seconds to 60 mph.

Actually, I got the Fit because I couldn't afford a Lotus Elise. I somehow don't think I could have gotten 5 bales of pine straw in an Elise.
I couldn't put it better myself. There are no slow cars, just slow drivers!
For a "slow" car, I can cover ground very quickly with mine.

+rep for you.

Quick Reply: Ok... about the Fit's "Slowness"