2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Ok... about the Fit's "Slowness"

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
I just sold my 06 Mustang GT and all I can say is my fit is just plain fun to drive. Alot of people don't realize that many cars of the past were slow. I know there are lot of fast cars out there but I was looking for the economy and insurance savings. I have no regrets. Oh and I have a BMW 3 series, just incase I want some go fast!! (at least for my taste)

Old 09-19-2009, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
I've never felt that I needed tons of power. It's not a race out there on public roads.

I find the fit to be light, peppy and fun. Just what I want from a car.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip
Chloe, you might try shifting to 's' or triggering down a couple gears with the paddle as you merge; gets you in to the sweet spot of the engine more quickly than just jumping on the loud pedal.

My long ago fulie CRX posted similar acceleration numbers to the Fit, and it was considered a pretty damn quick little car back in the day; cars in general have just gotten faster.

I don't think the Fit is slow, but you have to recognize what you're driving, for merging or passing on a secondary road particularly. You also have to pick your fights; I got my ass handed to me by a pushy jerk in a VW Touareg V-8.

There are two schools of thought, here. Those of us who bought Fits for great gas mileage, reliability and the ability to haul lots 'o stuff are in one camp; the tuners, who aren't terribly concerned about these practical aspects, are in another. I'm not finding fault with that-my college car was a VW Bug with a snake's nest exhaust; it's just not why I bought the Fit, now.
Moon
Unfortunately, I have a Base, not a Sport (I truly prefer the look of the Base, I know most people here vehemently disagree). After seeing so many on here, and thinking about the features, I wish I had gone for the sport instead, even though I don't like the look as much. Anyway, no paddle shifters, so I don't have that option.

Don't get me wrong-- I love the fit, and for its class it's a great speedy little car. I got it for fuel economy, and for its versatility. I love it. I just can't seem to figure out how to get it to "pop" up to highway speed quickly.

Originally Posted by Selden
There is no substitute for displacement, which produces torque. Horsepower, on the other hand, requires revs. I'm making an assumption, based on your report, but if you're driving the Fit like the Jeep, where pushing the accelerator at any speed generates thrust because of the big engine torque, you will be disappointed. Honda has decades of experience in building reliable high RPM engines, and if you let the Fit's engine sing, it's going to be a lot more satisfying when the RPMs get above 5000 RPMs.

Here are some examples from Honda motorcycle engines. First example, I bought a 125cc CB92 (vertical twin) in 1965. During break-in, I kept the revs low, and thought I had made a big mistake, as it bogged down on the slightest hill. Finally, I decided to take it on the autobahn, and nearly rear-ended a Volkswagen because I wasn't prepared for the power hit that started at 6000 RPMs. Second, a 1988 Honda Hawk, which is a 650cc V-twin, and doesn't (by motorcycle standards) rev very high. The engine is sluggish below 3000 RPMs, begins to come alive at 4000, and is entertaining between 5000 and 8000 RPMs (redline is 8500). Third example, a 1989 Honda VTR250, another V-Twin, but this time only 250ccs. It's drivable below 6000 RPMs, but pretty gutless. The engine starts to wake up at 8000 RPMs, and is (for a 250) a lot of fun between 10,000 and 13,000 RPMs (redline is 13,500).

If you let the engine rev, a Fit can be fairly sprightly, although a stock engine will never make it a rocket.
This is very helpful, thank you! I'll give it a try next time I'm getting on the highway. I will try going over 5000 RPM quickly next time I try to push it, and see what happens.

I'm not into power cars, I just don't want to be the person that everyone screams "First pedal on the right!" at while going up the on-ramp.

Thanks to both of you for your help! I feel like the Fit can get there, I just can't figure out how to do it. But maybe now I can!

Old 09-19-2009, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
the Fit is a good compromise...

What is "Fast?" I guess it's relative to what you are accustomed to. For me, the Fit is plenty quick! It is a lot faster and handles much better than my 67 hp, 1982 VW Vanagon. Having said that, both vehicles are extremely fun to drive (In my experience, German vehicles are very responsive to driver input, and a pleasure to drive).
Back in the 70's I used to drive a 1972 Dodge Charger with a 440 Magnum. That 'Muscle car" was a blast to drive, but it only averaged 11 mpg! I average 33+ mpg on my Fit. I am happy to report that the Fit is not 3 times slower.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lek
This is the base model not just dressed up in a suit and new shoes.

The money I saved from not buying the Sport paid for nearly everthing. Read about ECU re-flashing.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...coilovers.html

It's the next best thing to a Golf GTi.
Seriously dude you keep trying to push this ECU re-flash, but you say yourself in the post you linked it cost 400 beans right? what did you get for power from that 2-4HP?...
Not worth it for the price
If you had an a4 2.0T or a turbo VW you could see anywhere from 20-30hp and its worth it...
That video shows a guy using revo software and a vagcom (desiged specifically for Audi, VW, seat skoda)
I use my vag-com for my Hondas but it works as a generic OBDII scanner only on Honda cars

I just think you should be a little more open about it and not show a vid of a car that gets 25HP for 400 when no N/A car can match that with just ecu flash.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
The range of tests I have seen published are....
as fast as about 16.6 (which happened to be MT)
to about 17.6 (which happened to be AT)

slow? compared to what?
as you can see if you go to the link below
It is faster than a lot of minivans
pretty much in there with SUV's and pick ups (including some with V8)
Right in there with mid 90's Maxima
faster than a lot of cars with 4 cylinder engines

0-60 and 1/4 mile times for Factory Stock Vehicles

Old 09-19-2009, 07:39 PM
I think it's pretty slow. Dangerous slow in fact, but part of it is my style of driving. When I'm trying to make a pass it feels like forever to make the actual pass. Or if I'm getting into another lane and I see a car behind me fast approaching, I shift down twice and apply gas...by now the car's on top of me.

Honestly, the engine didn't need to be this small - having some displacement and hp would've been a GOOD thing. But what about gas mileage you say? It's really difficult to keep this car at speed because it just lacks so much power.

Oh well - still loving it otherwise.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
I got the Fit becuase I think it is a fun car that gets really good gas mileage and it's a Honda! If I want to go "fast" then I drive my supercharged S2000 or one of my other turbocharged cars.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
I love my Fit

Hey guys and gals, I bought the Fit because of handling, low weight and a high revving, reliable engine. I've driven a '71 BMW 2002 w/200 hp and 2100 #'s at Road Atlanta to victory in it's class at the Walter Mitty in the mid 80's. The Fit is more fun to drive 'cause you couldn't open the BMW up on the streets. You can drive the crap out of Fit and have a ball! When Americans talk about slow, it's that stupid straight line stuff! Cheez, if you want g-force thrills TURN THE STEERING WHEEL! Little cars are made for flying around corners, you somehow get them up to speed and then YOU DON'T SLOW DOWN! I took my '09 MT to "The Tail of the Dragon" in eastern TN and ended up chasing an Eclipse and a Caymen (sp). I was on their bumpers all the way! The tire patch on one of their tires was bigger than all four of mine. The gear spread on the Fit 5-spd was perfect for hauling booty and staying on cam through those tight curves. I haven't had a trill like that since Road Atlanta. BTW it was after the season, i.e., there wasn't anyone on the road but the three of us. Slow?! Ha, you guys just don't know how to drive.

I love to hear the engine wind out, I never floor the accelerator, just far enough down to feel some good pull. To me, cars seem to go slower with the pedal on the floor, I just give it plenty of pedal and let it rev. Drag racing from a stop is definitely not the Fit's strong point, but its got nice pull through all the gears, I think it changes speed nicely in fifth if your above 80! I must admit, I'm shocked at the comparisons with older muscle cars, my BMW was 7 seconds to 60 mph.

Actually, I got the Fit because I couldn't afford a Lotus Elise. I somehow don't think I could have gotten 5 bales of pine straw in an Elise.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Lek
Seriously dude you keep trying to push this ECU re-flash, but you say yourself in the post you linked it cost 400 beans right? what did you get for power from that 2-4HP?...
Not worth it for the price
I did 5 major things I love to improve the car.

1. Mugen seats.
2. 16" Wheels and tires
3. Coilovers.
4. Engine re-flash for more power.
5. Air filter/spark plugs and other bits.

I just think you should be a little more open about it
I had a company do it for me.

http://www.hondajazzlover.com/forum/...?topic=10667.0 scroll down the pages to 3-5 and look at the pics.

They reflash the ECU to tune the fuel and ignition system to match the car, tuning includes released speed limit cut and rev limit cut, too. Oh and also close loop checking. There's no worry about honda warranty claim as they do not cut any wiring. They just open the ECU and connect the pin to read and write the data.
It take around 6 hours, because Honda's ECU is sealed with a silicone that is hard to open. They have to use a special chemical to open it, but it does not harm the ECU. It takes at least 3-4 hours to open it, after that they start to read and write the ECU to match the engine number, chasis number, immobilizer code and other technical stuff.
They also give a full warranty.

No problems at all. Just expensive, about $400 US. The only problem is opening Honda's ECU unit correctly on the GE Fit.

Last edited by Lek; 09-19-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:25 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Originally Posted by Wongawa
I got the Fit becuase I think it is a fun car that gets really good gas mileage and it's a Honda! If I want to go "fast" then I drive my supercharged S2000 or one of my other turbocharged cars.
Fuck you.

*jealous as shit*

EDIT: You can say fuck??

ZOMG AWESOME!

Old 09-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Lek
Fu... you.

*jealous as sh...*

EDIT: You can say fu....??

ZOMG AWESOME!
I know it's an open forum to give your opinion, but it's not polite to use bad language.

Last edited by Lek; 09-19-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by likaglov
Honestly, learn to drive with what you have. Knowing your shift points and where your cars' sweet spot is will do wonders for you. Heck when I'm going 65/70 I gear down to 3rd to give it a kick otherwise 4th will not do squat (automatic w/paddles). Hell I've driven dohc's with more stock hp that feel worse, talking sub 120-130hp.
Best post in this thread.

As a friend's forum signature used to read: "It's much more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow."

Roadent's post is pretty good too. Are people too young to remember the original 1959-2001 Minis and Mini Coopers? The real sporting appeal of those cars is that you can have so much fun driving the nuts out of them and not have to slow down as much compared to larger cars because there's less weight.

While saying the GD/GE Fits and Jazzes are as fun as the original Minis/Mini Coopers is a stretch, I like to believe they share the same performance philosophy: light chassis, good suspension manners, workman-like engine. As Lotus' Colin Chapman says you have to "add lightness" - and all four cars have it in spades. (It's also something the VW Golf GTI lost with every generation...a Mk5 GTI is exactly 500kg heavier than a Mk1.)

The fun in driving a Fit/Jazz is not in mashing the go pedal and throwing yourself into hyperdrive. No, the fun in it is HOW LONG you can keep your foot on the go pedal and not have to scrub lots of speed despite twirling the steering wheel for the turns.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:33 PM
it is painfully slow on hills, not even large hills. I constantly watch cars pass me up when i go up hills and im flooring the car. On straight streets, its slightly slow on its acceleration. Im not even talking about compared to v6 or v8. It has better performance than most small cars, but compared to the average sedan on the road, its not up to par.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:46 PM
I know this, going up the miles long grade from Palm Springs east bound, I kept 70 mph easily never going below 4th gear. Better than my 89 Civic hatchback, my 95 Civic coupe, or my 77 Plymouth ever did.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:46 AM
The Fit seems just fine for driving around town and the occasional road trip. Not exactly a screamer, but not as bad as people seem to make it out to be. BTW mine is a manual GE. My last two cars were a Dodge SRT-4 and an EP Civic SI.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:06 AM
I only have one thing to say to people who complain about the car they bought. You should have done your research. I'm 100% happy with my purchase.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:12 AM
Today was the first time I took the Fit for a long drive from Norco to Lancaster and boy does this car lack torque! Going through the 14 NB, I had to constantly downshift to 4th or 3rd. I'm not complaining though, I was still able to get 32mpg. It just feels weird because back in the days when I use to do track days at Willow Springs (requiring me to drive towards Lancaster) in my RSX and Evo, I never had to downshift once.

Last edited by DOHCtor83; 09-20-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:05 AM
Lek
Just unwrap the power which is already there. ECU Reflash will do that piasini engineering - the art of performance this is who flashed mine.

Just google (piasini thailand) after a reflash you'll have a much faster Fit and believe me better MPG if you don't wip it.

Last edited by Lek; 09-20-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
I'm taking my Fit to Germany next year. I'll tell you guys how fast it is on a Autobahn with no speed limit, I promise.

I don't think there's a reason why you should complain about a car with over 100 hp in a country where it's not even legal to drive faster than 75 or 80...no offense

Back in the days, I used to drive a car with 55 hp...that WAS slow!

It's always a matter of what you compare the car to. In Europe, an average small car has way less that 100 hp, and a Fit like ours will be like a race version..but here, where people still drive huge SUVs with plenty of hp regardless of the fuel consumption, of course an economical, small car like the Fit will seem "slow" compared to what else is out on the streets.

I think the Fit is a perfect little car, very nice to drive, fast enough so you don't have to be afraid to go on the Interstate and still with great mileage and LOTS of space for passengers or luggage.

It has already been said - if you want a racecar, don't buy a Fit. That's not what it's supposed to be.

Quick Reply: Ok... about the Fit's "Slowness"