2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

09 sport automatic- lurch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 03:30 AM
5 Year Member
09 sport automatic- lurch?

I have noticed since day one that when I come to a slow stop for a traffic light, etc- just before the car comes to a complete stop it lurches a bit, like it's dropping down to first with a bit of a lurch forward. It doesn't seem to happen when I roll to stop at a little faster speed, but if I'm rolling while coasting to a stop and slow enough, it'll do it. To my passengers, it makes me look like I don't come to a stop smoothly- know what I mean?

Has anyone else noticed this?

Dan

Old 09-17-2009, 03:36 AM
5 Year Member
yeah, i just assumed it was the down shift?

Old 09-17-2009, 03:44 AM
5 Year Member
Yep, my GD has done this since day one. What I notice in the gear indicator is that when slowing from say 20 MPH; the trans will be in 3rd gear until you reach about 6 MPH, then it'll drop to 1st. On a similar note, if you ever start off in 2nd in stop and go traffic a lot you'll notice that the trans will stay in that gear as long as you do not exceed 6 MPH (where you can engage 3rd). Going faster than that speed then slowing would result in the trans going back into first.

With all of that being said, I'd assume that is just how the transmission shift points are set because if you look at the speeds you can upshift to *insert gear* in the owners manual you should see that at that same speed the trans shifts out of the gear.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:02 AM
5 Year Member
It's 4am here and I gotta admit...I have to re-read that! LOLOL! Thank you though. I feel better that it's not just me.

Dan

Old 09-17-2009, 04:11 AM
5 Year Member
LOL, its ok. Basically to shorten it up...

The trans' shift points are based on vehicle speed. Whenever you slow down from a speed of say 15-20 MPH to 0, the trans will shift from 3rd to 1st (skipping 2nd). Due to 1st being a way shorter gear, it causes the car to lurch upon the shift.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:31 AM
5 Year Member
Wow- a half an hour later, a simplified version, and I get it!

I figured as much- at least that's what it feels like. But I've never experienced that in any other car. I can roll to a stop so smooth you won't even realize you've......stopped

But not in the Fit, it seems.

Dan

Old 09-17-2009, 04:47 AM
5 Year Member
There is a way to get around this though but it requires some practice of course. Just rev match (quick throttle blip) as you down shift with the paddles or as you are slowing shift to 3rd between 25-30 MPH, then 2nd in the 10-15 MPH range and you may not get a lurch or as bad of one.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
Actually I've been able to anticipate the down shift in my wife's car and ease up on the brake just as it's happening. Not every time but most of the time.
Personally I like the fact that it downshifts. The transmission becomes more responsive as it's trying to be in the right gear for the best acceleration at all times. Not like some slushboxes where, if you decide you want/need to accelerate after slowing down, you have to wait for the downshift.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
same happens here from day one.
when i'm bored i tend to downshift before turns/lights and like to use the quasi manual mode when creeping through chicago trafic. so IMHO from what i can tell it doesn't go from 3rd to 1st as you say. it still goes through 2nd but i'm not going to argue. i like several things about fit's AT but generally i wish i could have the manual...

Old 09-17-2009, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tankist
so IMHO from what i can tell it doesn't go from 3rd to 1st as you say. it still goes through 2nd but i'm not going to argue. i like several things about fit's AT but generally i wish i could have the manual...
No worries about arguing, I came to this assumption because my GD3 does it. I have never driven a GE8 at all, but I am basing this on a logical theory stand put.

My only question to you two is have either of you had the trans in S with M-mode active and visually watched the gear indicator as you slowed to a stop?

Old 09-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
my 09 does that on the very first stop if the tranny is not warmed up yet. i think that's normal.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
Actually I've been able to anticipate the down shift in my wife's car and ease up on the brake just as it's happening. Not every time but most of the time.
I do this too. Also, when I have the room and traffic is right, I find if I slow the car further back from the actual stop and get the gears down even sooner, I can then roll up slowly and come to a smooth stop. This isn't a huge deal mind you, but it can be pretty jarring at times for passengers- and who do they assume is the cause....me! The driver knows it's coming so it's no big deal. When I'm a passenger, it drives me up a wall when people don't have the skill to drive their cars properly and smoothly. It wastes gas and frankly, it can be nausiating. I have trained many a friend to NOT step on and off the gas when on the highway to maintain speed, as well as lousy braking habits. This little lurch is going against what I like to provide for me, but more so my passengers- the smoothest ride I can provide.

Dan

Old 11-20-2009, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
Just wanted to chime in and add the my new 2010 Automatic (US) is doing this too.. I didn't search enough to find this thread before I posted about it here: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...010-sport.html

Old 11-21-2009, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
It just occurred to me- you could slip into neutral when you know you'll be slowing to a stop. I've done this in the past on other AT cars that have clunky downshifting when breaking to a stop. It will wear your pads slightly more, but maybe you'll get even better mileage!

Old 11-21-2009, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
09 base AT here... Don't notice what you're describing.

Try not driving in sport mode? I'm assuming it has different shift logic from the base's even if you don't play with the paddles, though I think the drive-train is mechanically identical. (I only ever test drove a sport MT before opting for an automatic base.)

Shifting to neutral kinda defeats the purpose of having an auto.

Does this behavior happen on flat roads, hills or both? (Not any hills here to speak of).

Old 11-22-2009, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member
This has nothing to do with sport mode. It happens when you decrease acceleration [coasting] over a longer stretch than usual, and it happens at the very last second before full stop. It happens much less often, or at least is much less noticeable, with a shorter more rapid brake-to-stop; more typical traffic driving. In that instance, the downshift seems to be more rapid and the lurch doesn't occur nearly as much. But roll up slowly to a stop, coasting, and try to stop smoothly without lurching at the last second- final downshift. It doesn't seem to be possible in that scenario.

I've gotten used to it. I don't, nor wouldn't rely on shifting to neutral. I have tried to adjust my speed for the downshift from 2nd to 1st and I have been able to smooth it out somewhat. But it can make for a jerky ride and I've never been one to give my passengers a jerky ride. It can be helped though, with careful speed control coming to a stop.

Dan

Old 11-22-2009, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
Just keep driving the car as usual. It took a while but I can now stop just as smoothly as I used to in my tbird. Just takes some practice.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
Shifting to neutral kinda defeats the purpose of having an auto.
Maybe just me, but on every AT car I've ever had I've always made liberal use of L1/L2 to downshift for engine breaking. Neutral not so much though.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cruiserandmax
Maybe just me, but on every AT car I've ever had I've always made liberal use of L1/L2 to downshift for engine breaking. Neutral not so much though.

Living in SFO would have that effect. Used to live in Seattle and did the same. Used to live in Utah and Colorado and did the same! In the Rockies coming down from the resorts, absolutely force a lower gear in an auto. Your brakes will thank you.

I haven't had a the Fit anywhere steep enough, long enough to observe this, but it does incorporate grade logic in its PCM automatically downshifting on downslopes when the brake is applied (and maybe sometimes when not?) and preventing unwanted upshifts on inclines. I don't think this would be as effective as downshifting manually.

I don't brake excessively, but I don't obsess about getting a long coast before coming to a stop. I just drive "normally" and the auto behaves as an auto should with no lurching. If it jerked me around I'd be at the service dept. complaining.

That said, I've noticed some awkward shifts at lower speeds before the engine is up to temperature. I think it changes its shift logic to avoid higher torque on a cold engine.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
It does seem to shift better once it's warmed up. It also shifted better when the transmission fluid was new. Z-1 is mediocre at best. Over the holidays I'm going to drain and fill the Fit with more Z-1 to help with the transmission's issues. The car has 11k miles on it, and my Buick with 70k (and a flush with synthetic ATF 1k ago) shifts better.

Quick Reply: 09 sport automatic- lurch?