2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

seat covers: yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 11:06 AM
seat covers: yes or no?

i bought my sport fit in early august during the cash for clunkers sale. one big reason was to lug my kids around. i have two girls 4 and 2. they also love my fit but as kids can be they are very messy .if its not sand its spilled juice or any variety of food or mess. thus i was thinking about getting seat covers . there are low cost ones on ebay . has anyone bought them or any other type?

Old 09-11-2009, 11:23 AM
I always put seat covers on the front (~$17 from walmart). I don't haul ppl (much less kids) in the back that often so no covers there.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Wool seat covers rock. I would put some on my car, if my girlfriend wouldn't kill me for it.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
How about teaching your kids not to eat and drink in the car?

Old 09-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by Virtual
Heh. Even I don't eat in my car.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:58 AM
OK...what about mud, dirt, puke, crayon, or any of a gazillion other non-food things for which kids have an uncanny knack of managing to get on upholstered surfaces?

I think the major concern with seat covers (at least on the front) is interference with side airbags. The better covers are supposed to break away, but cheaper covers may not.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
this one gets my vote

I'm glad cars don't come with ashtrays anymore but why so many cupholders Honda?!

Old 09-11-2009, 12:02 PM
I assume we're talking about back seat covers, bearing in mind the age of of your children?

Mine are older (although still messy in their way) but when they were younger I thought that seat covers were vital. It's not just about maintaining a car's appearance, but also about simply being able to remove them and toss them in the washing machine (which if you've ever had a dairy accident in the car you can appreciate). I would get ones that are as near waterproof as you can though, and a lot of the cheap ones I've seen wouldn't stop liquid flow at all.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
I have and recommend these. These look, fit, and protect great. Car Seat Covers | Waterproof Neoprene Automotive Seat Covers | Wet Okole Hawaii

Old 09-11-2009, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jzerocsk
OK...what about mud, dirt, puke, crayon, or any of a gazillion other non-food things for which kids have an uncanny knack of managing to get on upholstered surfaces?
You make it sound like children cannot learn. I can assure you that they can learn and really quickly too. Their brains are like sponges.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:06 PM
You make it sound like children cannot learn. I can assure you that they can learn and really quickly too. Their brains are like sponges.
You make it sound like children can learn to never make messes...not even accidentally!

Old 09-11-2009, 02:28 PM
I have floormats in my car to help with the messes my shoes/feet make.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
this is how i do it too. my interior is clean on both Fit's.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Spills are one of the problems with cloth seats. There are options to get them professionally treated with waterproofing chemicals, but that isn't really healthy for kids. I have a two year old and with the exception of a milk cup, I won't allow anything else in there. In my wife's car with leather I am not so concerned. My vote is for no food in the car.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by doublefit
I assume we're talking about back seat covers, bearing in mind the age of of your children?

Mine are older (although still messy in their way) but when they were younger I thought that seat covers were vital. It's not just about maintaining a car's appearance, but also about simply being able to remove them and toss them in the washing machine (which if you've ever had a dairy accident in the car you can appreciate). I would get ones that are as near waterproof as you can though, and a lot of the cheap ones I've seen wouldn't stop liquid flow at all.
I had my husband get me some rear seat covers, I do a lot of miles with the kids to sport and my old english sheepdog comes with us so the covers were a must for me, it's nice to know I can just pull them off and toss them in the wash. The covers were custom made so they are a good fit and with some scotch guard any liquid can't soak into the seat.

Jean

Old 09-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by spreadhead
I have and recommend these. These look, fit, and protect great. Car Seat Covers | Waterproof Neoprene Automotive Seat Covers | Wet Okole Hawaii

Thank goodness I'm just an old man driving myself around 98% of the time.

At $235 a pop, I would have the interior re-upholstered first.

Luckily, I can get away with just a cushion on the driver seat to cut down on wear.

The little bit of eating that gets done in my car is with the car stopped, passenger door open, legs swung out the opening and biting into whatever it is while bending out over the pavement. I was obsessive compulsive before, but now after having this car it's become a terminal case !!

I've lost 10 lbs. just walking from the far corners of parking lots, in order not to get door dings!!!! If my wife ever wants to take it to a Penn State game, I'm going to have to start tailgating the night before to calm my nerves.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:32 PM
how about some clazzio seat covers? not sure if they provide some for the fit, but those are really nice.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pixiedixie862
how about some clazzio seat covers? not sure if they provide some for the fit, but those are really nice.
Yeah those clazzio's look awesome! I really want these some day.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...zkin-poll.html

Old 09-12-2009, 06:49 AM
How about putting on a roofrack and strap the kids up there? Or trade it in for a pickup truck and then put them in the bed? I'm kidding, but people really do sit in the back of pickups in just the bed. Still perfectly legal in AZ. They call it the Arizona limo.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Is anybody afraid of the airbag deployment when the front seats are covered? I mean the bag does have to tear through the seam in the seat to get where it needs to go.

Quick Reply: seat covers: yes or no?