2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

seat covers: yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Virtual
How about teaching your kids not to eat and drink in the car?

...I'm a dad, and that's the rule in my car. No food or drink. Water being the only exception if we're on a long haul.

Seat covers = bush league interior add-on, unless they've gotten much better than the junk I'd been around 10+ yrs ago.

<edit>

ok, so maybe those Clazios would work...posted before reading every response.

I was obsessive compulsive before, but now after having this car it's become a terminal case !!

I've lost 10 lbs. just walking from the far corners of parking lots, in order not to get door dings!!!! If my wife ever wants to take it to a Penn State game, I'm going to have to start tailgating the night before to calm my nerves.
ditto...somethin about this Fit makes me OCD more than I've ever been with past cars.

Last edited by Watsoff; 09-12-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:40 AM
Lek
The first thing I did with my car was upgrade my poor quality Honda seat covers. They don't just look better, but feel it, too.

They were starting to look dirty after 6 months of work, but with a quick vacuum and a leather cleaner they look perfect again. The price you pay is the quality you get.

Last edited by Lek; 09-13-2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:14 AM
^ ok, yeah...again, if that's what seat covers have become, then hells yes. $17 Walmart covers...um, nope...might as well go for the Sparkomatic sound system while yer at it.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:15 AM
I went with the seat covers (same ones, first pic of seat covers)
and added weathertech floor covers. Total was just under
$600 but well worth it. They look great and protect the car.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eiwoh316
Is anybody afraid of the airbag deployment when the front seats are covered? I mean the bag does have to tear through the seam in the seat to get where it needs to go.
Airbag deployment is a non-issue with these clazzio seat covers as far as I'm concerned. They have quite a few videos showing normal airbag function with the seat covers in place.

YouTube - Clazzio Seat Cover Air Bag Testing 1

Old 09-13-2009, 11:33 AM
Clazzio website engrish (or is it engindie?) kills me
  • Magic tapes make installation easier.
  • Instillation of headrest covers is easy by hooking.
  • Double stitches along seat outlines enhance not only taste of high class but also durability.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by Watsoff
^ ok, yeah...again, if that's what seat covers have become, then hells yes. $17 Walmart covers...um, nope...might as well go for the Sparkomatic sound system while yer at it.
How about a Craig 8-track?

Drop in a copy of Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band.

"We're Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band...........CLICK CLICK.........

We'd like to thank you once again"

All the while, Lovely Rita, Meter Maid is playing in the background.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:50 PM
ha! damn...if yer goin that far back, then yes. You can "cruise for chicks" impressing the ladies with yer Stereo 8...oh, wow mannnnn, 4 stereo programs!! And, you can extend yer cruisin' to all day rides with one of those groovy straw seat cushions over yer vinyle bucket seats...

Old 09-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Lek
Pimp my ride. The girls will love them.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:30 PM
ha! damn...if yer goin that far back, then yes. You can "cruise for chicks" impressing the ladies with yer Stereo 8...oh, wow mannnnn, 4 stereo programs!! And, you can extend yer cruisin' to all day rides with one of those groovy straw seat cushions over yer vinyle bucket seats...

Check out my gray one from my old C4C '98 Ford Taurus Wagon. Dropped it in the Fit until I could find something else.

Have this pic from my armrest install..........click on pic to enlarge and get the full effect.

Might have to look into the straw option..................

Old 09-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Lek
Looking good. (The arm rest)

Old 09-14-2009, 01:28 AM
Originally Posted by eiwoh316
Is anybody afraid of the airbag deployment when the front seats are covered? I mean the bag does have to tear through the seam in the seat to get where it needs to go.
It isn't a good idea to fit seatcovers to the front seats unless they are designed specifically to work with the side airbags. Having said that, it isn't an issue with the back seats, which is where you have the problem.

At that age they will be in booster seats anyway, so why not get your back seats covered in vinyl and go for the rubber mats in the back? The kids will still be comfortable in whatever their booster seat is upholstered in, and the vinyl wipes clean.

Now if only I can persuade my wife to use one of the ten cupholders instead of leaving her drink bottle on the seat...

Last edited by rosswond; 09-14-2009 at 01:30 AM. Reason: typos
Old 09-14-2009, 01:52 AM
Lek
I never had a problem with airbags. They did leather seats, door panels, steering wheel, Gear shift and hand break, all matching.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:18 AM
5 Year Member
I can't say no to my kid not eating or drinking in the back seat... I drive for 2 ~ 4 hours with him when I'm with him.... I can't stop and waste time for him to eat at some "fast food" place... or spend the cash on a healthier alternative... I pack out food, fresh veggies, sometimes fruit, and crackers to keep him with some snacking.

I resolve the whole mess with basic cleaning of the carpets, and steam clean once a month, or when I'm home from my visit. Or if it's a rental car, let the rental place deal with it. I love my son, and I would not want him to be too hungry because I don't want to stop in between my driving runs.

@OP, you're not asking for wether to get seat covers or not, you're asking what kind of seat covers you want. YOu need them, unless you think you can do the upholstery cleaning yourself.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:14 AM
I think the main question is...

How much do you wish to spend?

You can get some complete, matching seatcovers for about $60.

Or you can go and spend ridiculous amounts of money.

It's all up to you.

But there is no question, I think most people could definitely use seatcovers.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Clazzio website engrish (or is it engindie?) kills me
  • Magic tapes make installation easier.
  • Instillation of headrest covers is easy by hooking.
  • Double stitches along seat outlines enhance not only taste of high class but also durability.
hey, atleast it's not made out of bamboo or something ichy.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
I'm still of the opinion that putting seat covers on nice seats (at least I like them) defeats the purpose of having nice seats in the first place. What's the point of having something nice if all you're going to do is cover it up? You can say that you're protecting it so you can get a better sell value later on, but then you're basically just saving the good stuff for a future owner and you never really get to appreciate it yourself.

With kids in the back it might be a little different, but I'd rather not have kids or even people in general eating/drinking in my car.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
it's a similar concept to the clearbra thing... you're saving the car for the next buyer. hahaha.

i have 2 little ones myself and no stains. including the seatbacks or sidesills. just need to teach them and they'll learn. kids are not born bad... well, usually? hahaha.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Seat covers or not, The Jazz/Fit has seats that are wet suit-like material (at least mine seem to be) so they shouldn't be too hard to clean...

Old 09-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Lek
Polyester is better material than stock, with leather they clean up easily if waxed correctly.

Quick Reply: seat covers: yes or no?