2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

The In-Dash Nav System

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 05:19 PM
The In-Dash Nav System

I know that the Honda Fit Sport comes with the in-dash nav system, but I was wondering if it is possible to have it installed in a regular 09 Fit, and if it is, about how much would that cost?
Gonna probably call the dealership to inquire if it is possible, but wanted to try to find out without getting them involved, lol.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
you want to install the oem navi? Why not look for aftermarket with more features, with better sound? check out the ICE forum.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the quick response.
I wasn't sure if getting an oem one installed would void any warrenties (first new car) and just thought getting it through them was the bes bet.
If there any specific thing I should look for?

Old 09-06-2009, 06:56 PM
The only reason you should get the OEM Navi is if you had it as a factory option, because then it came with the VSA.

List price on the OEM navi is almost as much as the cost of the engine, believe it or not. Frankly, what I'd do is find a midrange to upper range touch-screen navi from a reputable brand, and then have that installed with an aftermarket alarm. The factory Honda alarm, while a nice basic affair, wont actually protect you that well from a thief. I'm convinced the Honda alarm is basically only useful for stopping dumb high school kids and for insurance.

Don't get an overly-motorized affair, like the kind with the whole screen that rolls out and rolls away. If you have the money, I've always liked Pioneer and Alpine. Then just get some dash pieces from the OEM navi Fit from Honda, and it's a pretty straight-forward install.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
Check out the In Car Electronics section as others have stated. Most OEM Navigation systems are well over $1k for the parts and labor to install. Pioneer and Kenwood seem to be the most popular Navigation Head units and have lots of features. The Pioneers seem to have more features built in but not quite as good of a NAV system while the kenwoods have all of the features as options (Bluetooth adapter cable for $$, iPod adapter cable for $$, etc...) but have a better navigation system. Both are going to be much better than OEM and depending on what you buy can cost you 1/2 the price of the OEM.

Oh... many people Scoff at buying from crutchfield because of price but depending on what your price range is, they can be moderately competitive when you add in all of the extras that you'll need such as wiring harness, Double Din Faceplate replacement, Instructions, etc... Also, Free or $5 shipping... and they are authorized dealers for everything they sell so factory warranties are not an issue on the electronics unlike they are when purchased through many "electronics shops" - especially ebay.

oh and PM me if you are considering through Crutchfield... I have a $20 off first purchase over $200 ($250?) promo code that you could use.

~SB

Old 09-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Is there anyway to find out if my fit has the VSA? Or do I have to have the navi in place already to have it? Cause I have the regular, non sport fit. What I'll do then is just find a touch screen navi/media thing I can get installed. I had a alarm place in the car after I bought it, it didn't come with one. Would any navi from like pc richard and sons or where ever work? And should I definitly buy it and hav the dealership install it or just let where ever I buy it from install it?

Old 09-06-2009, 07:18 PM
VSA only came on the Fit Sport w/ Navi.

On purchasing and installing: The dealer will charge you a ridiculous amount, if they agree at all. What I would do is check Yelp and ask buddies for a reputable shop that could either install OR sell it to you and install it. Finding a good shop reduces the chance of a bad install AND reduces the chance of having shady installers stopping by to steal it later.

Or you can go the Crutchfield route and have them mail everything to you plus instructions and you can try it yourself It's tough, but doable. But never try to install an alarm by yourself; you can make your car an electrical nightmare if you screw that up.

Last edited by Epoch; 09-06-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:23 PM
So then is it still possible to get like that pioneer one installed?

Old 09-06-2009, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
Car only has VSA if it had the OEM NAVI from the dealership. No OEM Navi... No VSA.

As for installation... if you can use a pair of pliers (or a wire crimp tool) you can install your own stereo and save your self some $$$ (it's really fairly easy... Crimp 12 or 14 wires and then plug it in. Personally, I solder but most Big box Stores that install do crimps)

since you have the Sport, it sounds like you are looking primarily for navigation. Is this correct? If so, why not check out a Garmin or other windshield mount navigation? You could even mount to the front side windows (in front of the driver's door) so it isn't in your way visibly. I have been fairly happy with the Fit Sport's audio system and if you are too, this might be the way to go. It's cheaper, Easier, and will provide you with a much better navigation system. If you are thinking about upgrading the entire audio system and adding bluetooth as well as navi... in-dash is the best route.

~SB

Old 09-06-2009, 08:02 PM
I've read that the factory wiring harnesses are different between the Sport vs Sport/Navi so it's not a direct plug-n-play (probably something to do with the steering wheel controls). I think an aftermarket option is the best way.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Hey,
Sorry for the confusion, was posting from my phone with that, was away from a computer.

Currently I ahve a 2009 Honda Fit AT, not a sport, just a regular Fit, with the stock radio in it, and my father was looking at in-dash nav's for his car, and I thought it'd be cool if I could have it as well.

So I know that the Sport comes with a Nav System, and if I can't have the one that comes with the Sport, thats okay, I can just install a Poineer or maybe this: Indash Car DVD GPS Navigation TV iPOD Honda FIT CITY - eBay (item 260471711554 end time Oct-03-09 02:16:16 PDT)

But, would it void any warrenties I have? I'm gonna probably call the dealership to find out, cause I wouldn't mind having one, and if I have to install it myself, I will.

Also, is the regular Fit a Double Din or Single Din?

(Sorry for any confusion from yesterday, not easy posting on these forums from a blackberry)