2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Paddle Driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 02:22 AM
Paddle Driving

I have a 09 Sport and I was wondering if there was a benefit to use the paddles while driving out just keeping it in Automatic.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member
More control over your shift points. Like in stop and go traffic when you can just leave it in 2nd instead of having the trans shift to 1st and 2nd. It can help improve your fuel mileage if you use them properly and can be used for spirited driving and/or daily driving without any worries.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:56 AM
5 Year Member
I've been using my paddle shifters a lot within the past few days. It really makes the city commute more fun and controlling. I have this theory that my car gets better mpg when slightly higher rpms are achieved. My car averages only 29mpg, so I'll see if my paddle shifting will yield anything better. In D mode the car normally shifts around 3K. I've been revving closer to 4K before I upshift. This is the rpm I used when driving my 02 5spd Civic (which got 32mpg).

Old 08-29-2009, 02:59 AM
Thanks I should give that a try, I ussually shift too early I think with the paddles. and felt i was always going slower then if i drove in D.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:00 AM
5 Year Member
Since I started using the paddles 95% of the time, my gas mileage has really gone up! I just take off slow and shift early. You can get it in 5th at right around 30 MPH and just coast almost.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:07 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
i use my paddles all the time also. especially when slowing down.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:47 PM
I use "S" mode a lot, along with the paddles. The car behaves totally different than just putting along in "D".

Old 08-30-2009, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
I keep the car in "D" but upshift as quickly as the trans will let me.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
Won't upshifting too fast bog down the car? Imagine you're actually driving a manual. You don't want to be in 5th gear doing 35mph b/c you have absolutely no response.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Ein
5 Year Member
It's not a good idea to use 5th at 30mph. 5th is an overdrive gear, you are basically lugging the engine at such a low speed. What ever gear you are in, make sure the rpm is 2.5K or higher.

Ever tried to ride your 10 speed bike at the highest gear at 3mph? The engine is feeling the same pain as your legs are at that speed.

Last edited by Ein; 08-30-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:27 PM
I'm in S mode often....The only benefit I'm perceiving is more fun. It feels like it's accelerating faster, but I know it's only because I'm more aggressive on the gas in this mode. Also, I sometimes don't dig the A/T getting itself into 4th and 5th so quickly, and so often in traffic. As for better/worse MPG - my guess is worse, again, because I'm having more fun. I've found (for me) that monitoring MPG and striving for better #'s is taking the fun outta driving this car. I've monitored it thru 5 fill-ups, and am happy with my 29-34mpg numbers....I ignore that shit, and focus on driving. It's been a long 8 years in a full sized van, so this Fit still feels like a go-cart to me everytime I get in it....a joy to drive...to the point that my poor motorcycle hasn't gotten any attention, lately.

I've got a lotta miles on manual tranny cars, and motrocycles. The S mode will never feel quite right, but I've reached a happy medium with it, considering 75% of my driving is hell commutes, 53 miles daily.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
I've found (for me) that monitoring MPG and striving for better #'s is taking the fun outta driving this car. I've monitored it thru 5 fill-ups, and am happy with my 29-34mpg numbers....I ignore that shit, and focus on driving. It's been a long 8 years in a full sized van, so this Fit still feels like a go-cart to me everytime I get in it....a joy to drive
This I could NOT agree with more. The gauges have become almost as distracting as a freakin cell phone. I too am thrilled with my mpg's in the fit. I've settled into simply enjoying the ride, and enjoying my fuel economy. Hell, I got GREAT mileage today zipping along on the expressway at 70mph [barely keeping up with traffic mind you] with the fit full of music gear and the AC on. Not so with my clunker of yesterday. But, I haven't paddled yet though! LOL!

Dan

Old 08-31-2009, 11:38 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by saldivar
I have a 09 Sport and I was wondering if there was a benefit to use the paddles while driving out just keeping it in Automatic.
ive driven many different cars including my 09 FitS with the AT paddles.

from my finding, the car runs best in D mode and just use the paddles to downshift before a turn or while approaching slower traffic.

trigger the left paddle and give a slight blip on the throttle to rev-match. it's a nice smooth down shift.
now if you need to brake and blip the throttle at the same time, you can either use your left foot for braking, or heel and toe with your right foot. i use either one depending on the mood. it makes AT a little more fun to drive.

as far as shift ups... just let the car do it for you unless you're going through a s-turn and need to hold the gear in 2nd or something for the 2nd turn. im not a big fan of AT with paddles.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
Question? What did you mean by "Barely keeping up with traffic mind you"?

If you mean your Fit struggles to keep up with traffic at 70mph+, then I don't get it. Or were you just joking in some way?

If you DO mean it actually struggles to "keep up," then I must have gotten a "special" Fit Sport. Mine has no problems whatsoever "keeping" up, anywhere I drive. Matter of fact, I have to watch it on the highway/interstate for fear of getting a ticket. I find myself going over 70mph without realizing it... seriously forcing myself to slow down. Although, I'm getting better about that.

You can't mean yours actually struggles to keep up, can you? As I've stated before... the Fit is no Porsche or Ferrari... FAAAAAAAARRRR from it! But it's also far from the slowest small car I've ever driven. It's definitely fun to drive though... maybe that's why it "feels" faster than it actually is to me.

This coming from a HUGE 8 cyl. SUV driver/owner
I should have been more clear. The Fit has no trouble at all keeping up with traffic. In fact, at 80mph it's yawning. And I don't feel that speed either- really smooth ride. And it feels like it's got plenty more room to go too. What I meant was that traffic on the expressway was forcing me to drive that fast. I mean, I have no problem doing 65 on the expressway. It's kind of the unwritten speed limit and the cops don't really bust your chops. But on some days, 65 becomes the MINIMUM speed limit and 80 is what everyones really doing. I don't have to keep up, but it becomes more of a pain not to. The nice thing to know is that the Fit hangs tight and then some!

Dan

Old 08-31-2009, 03:33 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i always wonder which would give out first.... the engine or the front winshield caving in. hahaha.

i know wat you mean by keeping up with traffic. some folks go too fast in wolf packs. i just keep to the the right and putt putt along around or below 64mph. it's not that i dont trust my FitS, i dont trust the other folks (their driving, their car, their tires).

Old 08-31-2009, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
I should have been more clear. The Fit has no trouble at all keeping up with traffic. In fact, at 80mph it's yawning. And I don't feel that speed either- really smooth ride. And it feels like it's got plenty more room to go too. What I meant was that traffic on the expressway was forcing me to drive that fast. I mean, I have no problem doing 65 on the expressway. It's kind of the unwritten speed limit and the cops don't really bust your chops. But on some days, 65 becomes the MINIMUM speed limit and 80 is what everyones really doing. I don't have to keep up, but it becomes more of a pain not to. The nice thing to know is that the Fit hangs tight and then some!

Dan
LOL, You should drive through Atlanta, GA. It's like your on a racetrack. No. 1, it's extremely curvey and No. 2, If your not doing 90, they will run you over.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
We have a parkway around here like that. It's called the Southern State PKWY. I call it the snake road and I avoid it like the plague.

Dan

Old 08-31-2009, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by JPGC
LOL, You should drive through Atlanta, GA. It's like your on a racetrack. No. 1, it's extremely curvey and No. 2, If your not doing 90, they will run you over.
I grew-up "inside the perimeter" of Atlanta. 285 was known as the "other" Atlanta Motor Speedway. When they extened 400, it became a freakin Autobahn. I don't know what it is about this city, but the driving can be insane.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:28 PM
The last time I drove through Atlanta in the Fit, I was puckering, lol, through the curves cause it was so bad. It's fun when the traffic is calm and not extremely congested.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Watsoff
... I've found (for me) that monitoring MPG and striving for better #'s is taking the fun outta driving this car. I've monitored it thru 5 fill-ups, and am happy with my 29-34mpg numbers....I ignore that shit, and focus on driving. ...

yessss sirrr.....I am at that point also. Being in Hawaii, and lots of hills..means constant monitoring. It kinda take some of the fun out of driving.

Quick Reply: Paddle Driving