2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

any one else having mt shifting issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jquan23
Another this is, how is you driving style? Is it mostly highway driving or street? I think you need to keep using all your gears in order for a good "break-in" for the clutch. If you mostly use highway driving, the clutch might feel a little "sticky".
I have 1.6k on the car. I live in chicago so its about 50/50 of expressway and city/gridlock. I do cycle through all the gears, I don't rev over 4k. I am pretty gentle with it and am not a speedy shifter.

the clutch definitely has improved since I bought it... still not happy with the entire lack of clutch feedback. I have a feeling I'm going to be doing some work to get it up to par.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
I have about 20k on mine and haven't seen any improvement... Short shift and solid mount kit from H-fit, have helped with throws and changes, but the clutch issue is still there and may be worse as I can shift faster now...

Old 09-08-2009, 05:30 PM
I've always had a personal problem rushing the 1-2 shift and getting the "pop" here and there. I've always attributed it to my technique since I've experienced it in different cars from different manufacturers and years.

The clutch is a little tricky with the lack of feedback but I guess I've got a good sense of propioception/muscle memory...after doing a couple of shifts the first day, I have ever since been able to go straight to the catch even though I can't really "feel" it in the pedal.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
thanks to who ever gave the info that reverse does not have a synchro. Its just something thats taken me off guard from the cars I've owned (and yes all the mt cars I test drove all were unhappy with that including a mitsu lancer that I think I did real damage to the car).

I definitely classify that as a negative feature.... I understand it probably decreases the complexibility/servicability/weight of the transmission. It does make a huge difference, regardless of needing to engage the gear always from a dead stop, it sucks as a gear.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:59 AM
5 Year Member
what car DOES have the reverse synchro?

Old 09-09-2009, 09:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitcious
None, that would be silly. You have to come to a stop before changing directions so what would be the point?

I've enjoyed reading this thread. Before getting an 09 w/auto I drove a manual at the dealer. It was unfun. I've owned VWs toyotas, jeeps, citroens, chevies, izuzus with manuals. The Fit's five speed is a step backwards in manual transmission technology. Engine wanted to stay at high revs even after I released the accelerator, and it was difficult to judge clutch engagement. The shift felt imprecise and resistant (probably because the engine was rev'ing about a grand higher than it needed to be.

The auto on these small cars shifts lusciously.

Edit: oops. I was wrong. (still I think it's silly; this seems to be a contrivance for people who drive sloppy, like my wife who insists on throwing autos into drive while rolling backwards at 3 or 4 mph. She doesn't know I post here so it's ok to say that.). There are at least 3 cars out within the last 3 years that sport this feature, Ford Fusion, Audi RS 4, and Cadillac CTS.

Last edited by Steve244; 09-09-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member
i have the same shifting problem too. when i shift from 1 to 2 it doesnt pull out smoothly it just pops out instead

Old 09-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Banned
Call me crazy folks but I love the way the Fit shifts. I think it's way smoother than my Acura CL 6-speed was. Clutch is a little weird with the delay in it but I can get a nice smooth launch whenever I want without having to feather it. It also shifts great when I'm accellerating to redline and shifting quickly.

When I'm not trying to be quick I shift very slowly waiting for the revs to die down and pulling the shifter when the revs match the speed of the car. Driven this way I find the shifter a real joy with very nice feel and just enough feedback for such a light action.

I definitly see what you guys are talking about with the clutch. It's made to make a choppy driver smooth. I find it works best if you just push it in all the way quickly to dis-engage and get your foot off of it as fast as you can after a shift. I noticed today if my foot is just barely still on the clutch it won't grab right away.

Doesn't seem like a difficult car to drive to me at all and I've driven a few. I like the fact that the clutch is so light and easy to start out from a stop with. I was actually thinking about trying to teach the wife to drive stick in it.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
This thread has gotten a life all its own. May I propose the tongue twister that it has inspired in me. Everybody, say three times quickly:

"My Fit shifts swift."

Old 09-12-2009, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
I agree there's something totally wrong. Mine SHIFTS fantastic, but I'm missing the clutch and I have these weird ears on the steering wheel too.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitcious
I... don't... know. I'm just stating that every manual car I have ever driven other then EVERY car I recently test drove with manuals could engage reverse cleanly with the clutch fully depressed even if the car was drifting/moving forward/backwards. I'v learned alot about the car by making my post and I really appreciate peoples feedback and knowledge. I wasn't sure if that was the expected result or not.... since it is, I can easily oblige to that (I obviously can't change that).

I did want to follup up since my initial post concerning the shifter prematurely popping out of first when shifting. I've paid alot of attention to this since.... yes, most of the time when it pops out is because I have not completely and fully depressed the clutch before beginning the gear change (sorry, my last car had a very prepped tranny on it with no electronic safeguards and engagement was the final 1/8" of travel)...

but as others have commented, when the tranny is cold, popping out of gear prematurely seems to happen about 1 in 20 throws even when done by the book.

I am very curious about people alluding to potential fixes for clutch feedback.... I'm sorry but stock is horrid. I will go to very extensive lengths to correct that so anyone with info, PLEASE step forward!

Old 09-12-2009, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
I forget who posted it and where, but if you turn off your AC for the first few starts, it's alot more forgiving and the clutch is less likely to skip when you engage.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cargun

Where I have problems is the inconsistancy of the engines response to throttle. Sometimes the RPMs drop like a rock when I let off, other times they hang. Sometimes I can pull away from a stoplight at idle, other times I really need to rev the engine before pulling out as once the clutch starts to engage its like the throttle pedal goes dead and I can't add throttle under load.
I've experienced this too. I've noticed that if you are higher in revs like around 4 or 5k, there is less rev hang. So you have to delay your shift differently based on how much you have wound it up.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
20k miles now no issues

Old 04-23-2012, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
The Fit's five speed is a step backwards in manual transmission technology. Engine wanted to stay at high revs even after I released the accelerator, and it was difficult to judge clutch engagement. The shift felt imprecise and resistant (probably because the engine was rev'ing about a grand higher than it needed to be.
Really? I love the MT on the fit. I just learned rev matching and it's a total blast hitting a corner with the revs up high and zooming out of the turn with it floored! It did take some getting used to, but it's a solid shifter/tranny/clutch. People complain a lot about the delay valve when going from 1st to 2nd but I think once you are used to it it's fine. The MT makes this car feel much faster and you get better mpg with it if you use it right.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Ya I noticed this issue the first day of ownership.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Never noticed this problem and can chirp the 1-2. I will say the clutch felt much better after about 1500 miles or so after I drove it off the lot. CDV is annoying on 2-3 but not enough power to matter on 3-4 haha.

I've never noticed this rev-hang stuff either, but maybe i'm just used to driving it. Heel-toe and rev-match is easy, pedal placement is good for me.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:03 AM
5 Year Member
I always liked the feel of the transmition and clutch in my 97 civic, but the fit isn't bad. I have had it pop out of second a few times (never first). I wouldn't mind a bit more feel on the clutch, but what I realy want is a cable fromthe throtle pedle to the butterfly valve....

Old 04-24-2012, 04:14 PM
I drove the fit for the first time in a month. It was weird going back to a hydraulic clutch again. and the release point is sooo low. No doubt, a manual fit is a weird car to drive. Not hard really, just different.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Atmos
Really? I love the MT on the fit. I just learned rev matching and it's a total blast hitting a corner with the revs up high and zooming out of the turn with it floored! It did take some getting used to, but it's a solid shifter/tranny/clutch. People complain a lot about the delay valve when going from 1st to 2nd but I think once you are used to it it's fine. The MT makes this car feel much faster and you get better mpg with it if you use it right.
I've been driving 7th gen Civic SIs lately (son is shopping). They are a lot of fun even if the shifter looks obscene. This was the last one (it's a dog), but the trip there and back in the Fit was fine except maybe the seats. 80-85, 800 miles RT, strong side winds, 36mpg. Butt sore after we got back. Thought it was my aged behind but my son complained too. Maybe it's genetic.

Quick Reply: any one else having mt shifting issues?