2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

09 Base Fit A/T gear problem??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 01:23 AM
09 Base Fit A/T gear problem??

Hey guys I bought a 09 base A/T fit about a month ago and right after i got it i noticed that sometimes the car would drive smooth and sometimes it feels like the gears aren't shifting properly??? or it feels as it would if u put it to neutral and hit the gas and it accelerates super slowly. Do anyone else have this kind of problem? When it comes to cars I pretty much dont know anything so thought i come here to some knowlegdeable people. Some info. on the car is that its 09 base A/T right now has about 1k miles and everything is stock havent touched a single thing except tints. Any input would be great.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:03 AM
Hmm. It really depends on how you step on the gas. If you press hard, the car will most likely not feel as smooth as if you applied it easier. This is just my experience with other AT I have driven. My Fit is MT.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:13 AM
5 Year Member
If you step on the gas and the car responds abnormally slow and sluggish, there's a problem. It could be you got bad gas, or it could be something more. Best to have it checked out asap.

Dan

Old 08-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
If you step on the gas and the car responds abnormally slow and sluggish, there's a problem. It could be you got bad gas, or it could be something more. Best to have it checked out asap.

Dan
Its weird because some days it drives very smooth. i am going to get it checked at dealer this weekend for sure.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ppidori
Its weird because some days it drives very smooth. i am going to get it checked at dealer this weekend for sure.

my guess is you dont have a problem. you have a fit.

i think ive (more or less) experienced what you're describing.
the transmission seems to have a less than spectacular response to hard acceleration, but slight variations on the driver's part, can make the "problem" less noticeable or non existent.

again, i think it's the nature of the car, and not a problem.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:53 PM
I've noticed that my Fit hits the gears pretty well/aggressively when coming from a full stop. For example, the light turns green on the stop light and then I floor it. The car revs near the redline before shifting up. I accelerate faster.

Same road, time of day, weather conditions, same car weight, same tank of gas: I cruise to the red light, then it turns green. I floor it. It revs up slower and shifts on lower rpms. I think I was on 2nd gear but can't be sure since I was on D, not S.

I also noticed that my car just practically maintains speed (~70mph) when going up a bridge even if I floor it.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ppidori
You know your car and only you can know if something has seriously changed. Good luck with it.

What I'm noticing is road bumps/foot jostle. If I hit some decent bumps, my foot will actually jostle on the gas peddle, causing a little push and let-up with my foot. I'm used to a heavier gas pedal on my last car. The fit pedal is markedly lighter- more responsive. It can be a challenge to maintain consistent pressure sometimes! But so far, gear shifting has been typical and solid- what I'd expect from this kind of car. I'm actually quite happy with it, and I'm coming from an eight cylinder Cougar that had tranny chatter pretty bad for years. I'm thrilled with the fits solid tranny!

Dan

Last edited by Shockwave199; 08-27-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:42 PM
if you need to accelerate... ever... hit that little paddle on the left side of the steering wheel, if your under 70 hit it twice, and GAAAAASSS IIITTTT!!!!

Old 08-27-2009, 08:58 PM
...but the dude doesn't have paddles.

ppidori, based on this one description, "it feels as it would if u put it to neutral and hit the gas" I'd take it to the dealer fairly soon. that sounds not-so-good, and definitely not normal -- if that's what you really meant.

only observation I have concerning what appears to be normal A/T operating behavior is the fact it likes to get into 4th and 5th gear much sooner than I sometimes like - glad i chose the Sport.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:30 AM
thanks for all your guy's response. I took it to the dealer and they checked it out and said theres no problem, but they did say to stop using arco gas... So i guess its the cheap gas and just how the FIT is. Still love the car and only regret is that i shouldve gone with the sport.