2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

??removal of front license plate??

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 04:00 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cool1442
In Idaho, gotta have two plates, one on each end. The general cop philosophy has changed from "to serve and protect" to "write as many tickets and make as much money as possible". The butt-ugly front plate is a garaunteed fine. Another fav is "failure to signal a lane change or turn". Pull out of a parking lot without signaling, at any time of day (even 3am) with any type of traffic (including NONE at 3am), its an instant $78 ticket and TWO NIGHTS of freeking traffic school... that YOU pay for!!!!!!!! One good thing about the front plate is that it protects a few square inches of the AC condensor. Grasshoppers were really beating mine up until I screened it.
You've probably read or heard about some people or some cars getting away without having a front plate. Like some of the comments here:
"Front License Plates -- A Vicious Cycle of Revenue" Karl on Cars

The only way to make it "fair" is to be sure to ticket absolutely every single person possible for a specific infraction, or to abolish the law completely.

That might work, getting rid of the law, for the plates. But what about the signaling? I'm constantly amazed at how many brand spanking new vehicles must not be equipped with turn signals...since I don't see them used very often.

What, are people "too cool" to signal? Any idea on how hard it is to drive wearing a Carnak hat?

I'm supposed to what...discern your intentions via my powerful mind reading gift?

So, yeah, I'm the moron that actually signals in the middle of the night when there isn't a dadgum soul on the road to see it. It's a GOOD habit to get into. To ALWAYS signal.

And if you think the law requiring plates is unnecessary, work to changing it. Some states have it, some don't. Find out why your own state has it, and why other states don't, and work on legislation.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:27 AM
5 Year Member
We have both plates here in VT as well. Had them in NJ too. Doesn't really bother me, probably because I've always had them both.

Good for the Idaho Police for Ticketing on No turn signals. People have gotten so lazy that I often wonder why car manufacturers even put turn signals on cars. No turn signals and driving in the left lane instead of keeping right except to pass are two of my largest pet peeves and it's about time someplace began ticketing for at least one.

~SB

Old 08-25-2009, 07:56 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
We have both plates here in VT as well. Had them in NJ too. Doesn't really bother me, probably because I've always had them both.

Good for the Idaho Police for Ticketing on No turn signals. People have gotten so lazy that I often wonder why car manufacturers even put turn signals on cars. No turn signals and driving in the left lane instead of keeping right except to pass are two of my largest pet peeves and it's about time someplace began ticketing for at least one.

~SB
Ha! Funny you bring that up. The part about keeping right except when passing. I'd never driven anywhere other than California and that isn't a law here. Until a trip with my former spouse, and i was SO CONFUSED about the signs stating keep right unless passing.

It was somewhere north, maybe Oregon?

If we had to keep right in California, except when passing, no one would be able to get on the freeway. It's often bumper to bumper in all lanes. Nobody can pass anyone.

Turn signals. There are people that turn them on, don't turn them off, and then go the other way than they are signaling. That's scary enough.

But out front of my apartment complex, I have been at a stop, signaling to turn left across the traffic, at the crosswalk, near a double-yellow line, and I get passed...on the left.

Apparently none of the rules of the road apply to those people that pass me. They're the same ones that pass a bus at the crosswalk. Never mind that passengers are getting off and trying to cross the street and there is a huge reflective neon lime green sign indicating the crosswalk.

It's that kind of driving that left a body in the road. I never did find out if the woman lived. But others in the area haven't lived after being plowed down.

The kind of carelessness which causes a pile-up right out front. All the cars going too fast.

Be CAREFUL out there. Even if YOU are the safest driver in all of the world, there are still plenty of idiots who will thwart your best efforts to avoid them.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
But what about the signaling? I'm constantly amazed at how many brand spanking new vehicles must not be equipped with turn signals...since I don't see them used very often.

What, are people "too cool" to signal? Any idea on how hard it is to drive wearing a Carnak hat?

I'm supposed to what...discern your intentions via my powerful mind reading gift?
You don't understand, these are very environmentally conscious people.
They are saving energy by not activating their turn signals and wasting electricity, and by not using turn signals, they're extending the life of their bulbs, and keeping them out of the landfills.

The whole front plate thing is weird. Just put my plates on today, have to have front ones here. So there's 4 bolts to hold the plate to the plate holder, yet just one bolt, halfassedly drilled thru the center of the holder right into the bumper, which felt, at best, less than secure. Seems like they could have come up with a better way to mount the plate holder to the bumper.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krizz
You don't understand, these are very environmentally conscious people.
They are saving energy by not activating their turn signals and wasting electricity, and by not using turn signals, they're extending the life of their bulbs, and keeping them out of the landfills.
Yes.. .there are the hummer/suburban tahoe drivin soccer moms (yes... and dads - had to go with a stereotype here...) with only one kid, never seen a farm/farmtruck, who are environmentally conscious. See it all the time. That and those AMG Benz driving, fur wearing environmentalists... SL65 AMG's do well in the woods...

speeding ... someone said speeding somewhere. Speed doesn't kill, stupidity kills. speed is just blamed because it's the easiest to blame. wouldn't want to blame the driver swerving from lane to lane on hitting that other car... it's because he was speeding. It's funny... there's a "tax" on speeders but not one for stupidity... Let's tax the stupid and we'll be out of a recession tomorrow.

/rant

oh... License plates. It's kind of a bummer that we have to have both but I can see it necessary. I do agree a better method could be used. Wasn't great however on my wife's civic or my Integra GS-R either so it is something obviously that Honda isn't really worried about.

~SB

Old 08-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Taffy, Im not advocating a lawless situation, what I want is REASONABLE law enforcement, not robot enforcement. A guy working graveyard at a stupid store obviously isnt a rich guy. Im see a couple nights wages GONE... to pay.the ticket and traffic school. I want a cop that will pull me over and chew my ass in a constructive way for leaving a derserted parking lot onto a deserted street. A ticket every single time for every single infraction??? Real life situations need real life solutions, and NOT being a robocop is real life. And my bro was a cop for 14 years, so I DO know how both sides work. But I agree, we all should drive safe.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite

Be CAREFUL out there. Even if YOU are the safest driver in all of the world, there are still plenty of idiots who will thwart your best efforts to avoid them.
Couldn't have said it better.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
I removed mine a few weeks back to find a big screw also in the middle so i msged up the guys at TFB Designs -Custom graphics for cars, trucks, & motorcycles who specialize in vinyl work amongst other things (shameless ad) - anyways i got some 1" ssm vinyl patches so when i do get a relocator bracket, i should be able to make that hole *Poof* away