2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

my fumuto oil drain valve broke.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 11:51 AM
my fumuto oil drain valve broke.

i ordered a f106 valve with nipple a month ago and it was time for an oil change. self explanatory. i go tighten the valve following the instructions

"Since the threads part of Drain Valve is made of Brass and has the hollow construction, install it by hand, and with the wrench, give only a 1/4 turn to tighten it. Please take care not to over tighten."

i did exactly that and use a 5 star wrench and the nipple breaks. i emailed fumuto and i want to know exactly how am i supposed to get this thing off? i'm trying to find someway to get this piece of crap off.

btw, i have installed fumuto valves before. this is the first time this has happened to me.

Name:  IMG_2840.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  20.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2841.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  20.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2848.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  50.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2849.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  34.7 KB

Last edited by ironsheikh; 08-19-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:40 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
if you cant get a wrench on there, i would use channel-locks and send it back to the manufacturer for replacement.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:17 PM
i just changed my oil so i'm not willing to pay another 20 bucks on some more oil. i emailed fumoto and asked for a replacement valve since this one is probably defective.

i can't take off the valve because the nipple tore off. somehow i have to ghetto-rig it off, but i'm not bothering to do that since i need another oil change. it's not leaking or anything, but i want this POS off.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
worst pictures ever? y/y?

Old 08-19-2009, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ironsheikh
i just changed my oil so i'm not willing to pay another 20 bucks on some more oil...
Removing it doesn't mean that you have to lose all the oil. Just be quick and put your thumb over the drain hole and/or put the original drain plug back on. It can be done with very little loss of oil.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
I dont understand the point of this.. why not just use the regular drain plug?

Old 08-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
Removing it doesn't mean that you have to lose all the oil. Just be quick and put your thumb over the drain hole and/or put the original drain plug back on. It can be done with very little loss of oil.
idk about that once the screw is half way out oil is already coming out.. sounds messy.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
Now I would like to re-interate my older and wiser from another thread. Let the dealer do the oil changes. I find it is very stress free.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:05 PM
meh dealer oil changes are rape. i like to do everything myself and like to know it actually gets done.

the whole point of the fumuto valve was to prevent a mess.

i've owned about 4 or 5 fumuto valves in the past and this is the first one that's broken on me. all the cars in the family have em since i do all the maintenance. this is the first one that's broken and i dunno how to get this out.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
worst pictures ever? y/y?

x2

i did the oil change around sunset and by the time i was done it was dark. worst pictures but the general point is seen. the 5 star nut is attached to the nipple and now i dunno how to get the valve off since it broke off.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Now I would like to re-interate my older and wiser from another thread. Let the dealer do the oil changes. I find it is very stress free.
Stress free? The oil change on a Fit is the easiest thing ever. The filter and bolt are easy to reach. I'd be freaking knowing some dimwit "technician" is working on my car. I've seen so many horror stories where they forget to put oil in or forget to put the oil cap on and tons of other stuff. Dealerships are incapable of the simplest tasks. I rather take out the 20 minutes of my day to do it, and make sure its done right. The OP bought a defective aftermarket drain bolt so this won't happen to anyone with OEM parts.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
I can tell you that an oil change at the dealer would cause me way more stress vs doing it myself.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ironsheikh
i can't take off the valve because the nipple tore off.
BS - how do you think people install valves that don't have nipples @#$! My Fumoto has no nipple and I can install and uninstall it easily. Take an adjustable wrench and put it around the square body of the valve. You broke it off because you were using the nipple to install it.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Ein
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
I can tell you that an oil change at the dealer would cause me way more stress vs doing it myself.

I second that.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
Name:  kw0100356.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  3.7 KB

Old 08-19-2009, 09:09 PM
thanks guys, i'll try the adjustable wrench.

the fumuto guy called me up and said he'll send out a replacement. he said this is the first he ever heard of this. he said he wants me to send it back the old one whenever i do my next oil change so he can look at it.

does mine right now w/o the nipple look exactly the same as the nippleless ones since the nipple ripped off?

an oil change on these things are a breeze. the only hassle is you have to take off the underlining. there's about 5 or 6 clips you have to take out but if you have a thumbtack puller it shouldn't take too long. that's why i HIGHLY suggest buying the nipple fumuto valve since you don't have to take out the underlining. just simply attach a hose to the valve and open it up and put the other side of the hose to an empty gallon of milk. no mess.

the oil filter is in an EXCELLENT position. in my lude, it's right on top of the driveshaft and i had to replace the o-ring beneath the oil cooler one time and that was a huge PITA.

ideally, if youre like me and use jack stands it should only take 30 mins max changing the oil. for the price of a dealer oil change you can just use your fav synthetic oil. it'll take more time jacking up your fit and putting it on jack stands than the actual process of changing the oil.

Last edited by ironsheikh; 08-19-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Why do you remove the plastic underpiece? you don't need to remove anything other than the drain bolt and filter to do an oil change on a GE.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Why do you remove the plastic underpiece? you don't need to remove anything other than the drain bolt and filter to do an oil change on a GE.
the underpiece is directly underneath the drain bolt. it would be impossible to drain the oil w/o it going all over the underpiece .installing the fumuto valve w/ the nipple allows you do just drain it w/o taking off the underpiece. the oil filter is somewhat behind the radiator and you can take that off easily w/o taking off the underpiece.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:13 PM
Almost 25 years of changing oil myself...I've never needed a drain valve. Oh well, to each his own.

...as for this "underpiece" ...now I'm gonna have go in the garage to look for myself - I'm callin BS. "no offense"

Old 08-19-2009, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by Watsoff
Almost 25 years of changing oil myself...I've never needed a drain valve. Oh well, to each his own.

...as for this "underpiece" ...now I'm gonna have go in the garage to look for myself - I'm callin BS. "no offense"
i've been changing my oil for over 5 years now. those messes from taking off the drain bolt are unavoidable

Quick Reply: my fumuto oil drain valve broke.