2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

my fumuto oil drain valve broke.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 11:40 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
I've done two oil changes on my car so far without removing any underpiece.

Last edited by qbmurderer13; 08-20-2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Me too. None of the oil went into the underpiece, bolt and fumoto.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ironsheikh
meh dealer oil changes are rape. i like to do everything myself and like to know it actually gets done.

the whole point of the fumuto valve was to prevent a mess.

i've owned about 4 or 5 fumuto valves in the past and this is the first one that's broken on me. all the cars in the family have em since i do all the maintenance. this is the first one that's broken and i dunno how to get this out.
You are saying you cannot trust the dealer to actually change the oil? I find that hard to believe. If they are doing that on a regular basis I don't se them keeping the franchise very long.

I can't believe the mindset here that all dealers are crooks. All my Dodge products over the last few years have been dealer maintained. It is a small town dealer so I can go into shop and watch them do any service work. I will expect my Honda dealer to provide the same service.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:54 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
I wont trust the dealer to lay a finger on my car. Its pretty much that way on any car forum youll go to. Maybe in your area you have half-competent technicians. But most here in the US are barely certified to wipe their own ass.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:51 AM
5 Year Member

Without a smart comment, I'll just agree with the above post.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
bump from the grave.

So what did OP do?

looks like the valve was still functional. just can't slip a hose on.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:59 PM
Seriously... how can one be so paranoid with a simple dealer oil change? How hard can an oil change be for an "unqualified" tech to say the least???

Old 07-07-2010, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
I wont trust the dealer to lay a finger on my car. Its pretty much that way on any car forum youll go to. Maybe in your area you have half-competent technicians. But most here in the US are barely certified to wipe their own ass.
Please don't bash ALL technicians. Sadly to say i see more stripped oil pans from tires plus/firestone/goodyear/midas and the like. Dealers aren't too bad about it at all. Some of us techs browse forums too ya know

I WILL say that dealers are getting a bit expensive, and sometimes they'll upsell items that need not replacing. Times are tough.

I do understand where you're coming from however. I'm trying to turn around the negative association with mechanics and technicians with every car i touch.

Edit: i <3 your Fit btw. My taffy white GE8 should be arriving at the end of this month!!! Can't wait

Old 07-08-2010, 01:43 AM
nothing wrong with saving cash.

some people like to drink, some like to burn

everyone is different

lets all hug

Old 07-08-2010, 02:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
Seriously... how can one be so paranoid with a simple dealer oil change? How hard can an oil change be for an "unqualified" tech to say the least???
How could one not be paranoid about parking their cars in an open parking lot without a garage judging by your sig, where would you even change your oil if you wanted to Working on your car in the garage with a 6 pack is the most satisfying feeling in the world.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
How could one not be paranoid about parking their cars in an open parking lot without a garage judging by your sig, where would you even change your oil if you wanted to Working on your car in the garage with a 6 pack is the most satisfying feeling in the world.
I just moved from NY to Chicago and just opened my company just 7 months ago. The place I rent is my place of residence and where I do biz hence the outdoor parking hence the cars on my sig are my company car. Still looking into a 2 car garage house... so until then I'm parked outdoors.

Oh yes nothing can beat the feeling of working on your own car. When I got my brand new 99 accord, I stripped down the interior "inside a garage" two weeks later and installed over $5K worth of audio including an autopc with nav which can do anything via voice command from starting the car to rolling windows up and down.
A few to share... - Drive Accord Honda Forums
I totaled this car in 08 so no more driveaccord.net for me
And yes... I did the oil change myself and the simple stuff.

Yes it was satisfying...

Old 07-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Now I would like to re-interate my older and wiser from another thread. Let the dealer do the oil changes. I find it is very stress free.
^^^AGREE^^^
No offense meant, however, 30 posts into this jawing about a simple oil pan bolt seems way more stressful than having a dealer do it.

And all this dealer paranoia and I would rather do it myself reeks of an over load of testosterone.

Like Watsoff said, "To each his own."

BTW I do change my oil. Never used anything more than the proper socket. Dad taught me the right tool for the right job and forget all the toys to get 'er done.

K_C_

Last edited by Krimson_Cardnal; 07-08-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm not sure that's an accurate portrayal. Automotive forums tend to be front loaded with two types. Those who are having problems with a certain car and those who are strongly committed to doing things themselves. They both have a need to justify their positions as well. Others, like myself, are here to learn about my ride and gleen ideas from others as well as provide assistance to those who need and ask.

To me that includes support to those who make a living repairing cars as well.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:29 AM
OP As much as it sucks, hope you've sorted evreything out. So are you going back to stock drain plug?

Old 07-08-2010, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
yeah I would rather do it the old school way: jack it up get a bucket and lots of paper bags under the oil pan. Messes are unavoidable but nothing says DIY'er than oil up to the elbow after removing the oil filter or fishing for the drain bolt when it falls into the old oil

Old 07-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Santiad
yeah I would rather do it the old school way: jack it up get a bucket and lots of paper bags under the oil pan. Messes are unavoidable but nothing says DIY'er than oil up to the elbow after removing the oil filter or fishing for the drain bolt when it falls into the old oil

I'll one up ya - was changing the fuel filter on my 69ALfa. In-line under the drivers door. Kinda thing where you pull the end facing the tank then shove a pencil in the line to stop the tank from draining. Gasoline up the arm pit - ouch!!

I also forgot the oil filter once - oops.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:07 PM
holy thread resurrection!

actually when it broke, it was my fault. i was attaching the valve by the nipple and not the base which caused it to break. i put a new one back during the fall and it's almost been a year and it works GREAT *knocks on wood*

but seriously, i like doing my own things. NO ONE touches my car except me. the valve isn't necessary, but your a bum like me who spills everything, might as well give it a shot, right?

Old 07-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Well I'll be! Never even looked to see how old this thread was. Glad you chimed in shiekh good to see you're still around. So you haven't kicked the oil pan or missed the funnel? That's where I always loose it, not getting it out.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:29 AM
5 Year Member
i bumped it since i JUST ordered one.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:46 AM
A Six point 17 mm socket and a good ratchet is a lot easier than trying to twist some little piece of wire. There is nothing hard about changing oil on the Fit. Is it the 19 cent washer that is too expensive for you?

Last edited by wacky wick; 07-09-2010 at 07:48 AM.

Quick Reply: my fumuto oil drain valve broke.