2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Deep puddles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
Deep puddles?

Obviously, avoid them I know. But I'm wondering if anyone has been caught by surprise or just had no choice but to go through an uncomfortably deep puddle. How did your fit handle it? I have three seriously BAD ones on my route to work. When it rains hard enough, it gets serious. I've learned where they are and how to avoid them- one of them by going through it at night and putting a serious hurt on my last car to the tune of 1,200 bucks. It caught me by total surprise in the dark. They get like lakes, these things. And that brings up hydroplaining too. I'm rolling on stock tires on my sport fit and I sure hope they're ok. Can you belive, no rain driving yet for me! I'm a four day old owner.

Thanks for any insight.

Dan

Old 08-18-2009, 11:15 PM
ugh well I live in northern CA, so I wont see rain till december, but today I was at the mall and parked next to a curb with shrubs. Apparently there was a puddle of muddy sprinkler runoff and my left ankle was soaked (just bought true religion jeans...serioulsy God????)...lol

Serioulsy though, there was a big storm last winter and a magical thing happens, CA drivers turn into idiots. This loser abruptly stops for no reason, so I had to swerve into the left lane. Whoa nelly... squeal chirp squeal chirp, VSA light flashing like crazy. Ya definitly avoid those puddles because of hydroplaning and when u hit a puddle fast, you're also sucking up muddy water under the engine bay and underbody parts, which will rust. But man is fun soaking people on the sidewalk (not that I'd ever do that)

Last edited by mtunofun; 08-18-2009 at 11:17 PM. Reason: there's no rain in the summer!!
Old 08-18-2009, 11:26 PM
"I'm a four day old owner"

Seems a bit young. How do you reach the pedals?

Old 08-18-2009, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
LOL! Notice how I worded it though- 4 day old owner, not driver ;>)

Dan

Old 08-19-2009, 04:44 AM
5 Year Member
HOw can you afford a Fit at 4 days old? Born with the silver spoon?

Old 08-19-2009, 05:32 AM
5 Year Member
Best not to take your chances with deep puddles on our cars. The intake is mounted low on the bumper, and the Fit just doesn't have the ground clearance to ford anything seriously deep.

Look for an alternate route.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Type 100
Best not to take your chances with deep puddles on our cars. The intake is mounted low on the bumper, and the Fit just doesn't have the ground clearance to ford anything seriously deep.
That's too bad, and seems to be a not uncommon Honda design. Hydro-lock can ruin an engine in an instant. I guess I won't be fording any streams the way I do in the Subaru.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:09 AM
My Fit handled the rain & flooded streets better than my old 02 Civic. I don't have the stock tires though. I'm running on RPF1s with General Altimax HP. My tires didn't lose grip when I floor it from a stop. Of course, I didn't exactly jumped off the line too. I had no issue with hydroplaning on the freeway. My civic with Bridgestone Potenza usually hydroplanes at 55mph. I was doing 65mph on the Fit on the same stretch and the car felt like it was on dry road. I couldn't go faster because of limited visibility (the rain was pouring down hard).

Old 08-19-2009, 12:44 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
from wat i saw on my cars (08 and 09), the intake inlet is pretty high in front of the fender so the car would need to be pretty submerged for it to hydro lock.

but i know wat you mean. ive accidentally went through a pretty deep puddle myself. and i couldn't tell how deep it was either. my car cleared it so no issue for me, but it was pretty much luck.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:56 PM
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers
i've had a fujita cai for over a year now... i drive like im in a truck lol.. some puddles will catch you off guard but if you let of the gas ur not gonna be suckin anything up.. its hurricane season here in fl and i drove my car for a week with no fender lining my filter was soaked and i never triggered a cel nor had hydrolock happen.. and im kinda low..

Old 08-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Type 100

Look for an alternate route.

wait, what? the intake is waaay high. the ducting is right above the grill. you'll have to worry about water getting in through the doors before hydro-locking. it's not much of a concern on a stock FiT.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
OK, I did this the other day. I was at work here in the New Orleans area and the rain came down in buckets. But Dammit, it was 5 o'clock. The water was just above my ankles as I got to the car. When I drove out the water was lapping at the bottom sill of the car doors.

The croud of Pick-up drivers at work were having a good laugh as I headed down the flooded street, but the Fit never failed me. Went through like a pro. Only one time was there any since that something wasn't normal.

As I got passed on the side by an 18 wheeler the water came up higher and actually made it into the muffler. A lil' bit more gas and I was through. No problems after that.

The folks at the office were pretty impressed. So was I.
So I made it through about a half a mile of 6 to 8 inch water no problem... But I do avoid the potholes.

BTW.. Stock Height

Old 08-22-2009, 06:48 PM
a buddy of mine has an 07 fit, and he hit a surprise puddle about 4-6in deep and he blew a piston out of the side of the block. you could literally see the piston hanging out LMAO!
needless to say, he hadda replace the engine, was free though, his insurance rocks aparently :P
o, btw, the 09 fit fixed the retarded intake position i think, so no worries on the new ones! i survived first few months of hurricane season in florida with my new fit.

Last edited by closetmonster; 08-22-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
You all are freaking me out here. Now I have to go find new wheels that incorporate paddles and side skirts that are also pontoon-like flotation devices. Or I could mount a small outboard by the hatch, and when the hatch is open, it doubles as a sail. I'll still need the pontoon trim though.