2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

CA Front Plate Law

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 10:49 PM
CA Front Plate Law

This is the section in question (can be found on DMV website).

5201. License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground.

Ok so I want to mount a JDM front plate in place of a CA plate where it would normally be, then put the CA plate in the windshield.

On the Fits, the base of the windshield is perfect for securing a plate to keep it from swaying.

Haven't measured, but i'm pretty sure the base of the windsheild is less than 5 ft.

Did I get around the law or should i just forgeddaboutit and keep the CA plate?.......stupid law. f#$%ing beureaucrats!!

Old 08-19-2009, 02:38 AM
it's illegal to place ANY object on your windshield in CA. hell, we can't even put our GPS on the windshield unless it's in the lowest right or left corner of the windshield. all I have to say about this subject is that if you want to place a non-CA plate on your bumper, it'll get you noiced by the law much quicker. if you choose to mount your CA plate on your windshield it'll get you noticed quicker. in the end, you're just giving the law yet another reason to pull you over if you're just flicking a booger out of your window.

a while ago, when I was very much into the VW/euro scene, I had my CA plate mounted to my windshield with suction cups. one day, at a gas station, an officer tells me that if I really didn't want to mount a plate to my front bumper, that I really should just take off the plate from the windshield anyway. he didn't give me a ticket that day but he did tell me that in a crash, there was a possibility that the plate could become even more dangerous if it impaled a passenger or cut my head off.

so, ask yourself what it's worth to you and I hope you keep your head.

Last edited by neil patrick harris; 08-19-2009 at 02:50 AM. Reason: you're does not equal your
Old 08-19-2009, 02:44 AM
even if the laws are a little ambiguous when it comes to the front plate, the best thing is to just avoid the unwanted attention and leave your state's front plate on where it's supposed to be (offset isn't too bad though, it's still where it's supposed to be in a way)

Old 08-19-2009, 02:56 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mtunofun
T
Ok so I want to mount a JDM front plate in place of a CA plate where it would normally be, then put the CA plate in the windshield.

On the Fits, the base of the windshield is perfect for securing a plate to keep it from swaying.

Haven't measured, but i'm pretty sure the base of the windsheild is less than 5 ft.

Did I get around the law or should i just forgeddaboutit and keep the CA plate?.......stupid law. f#$%ing beureaucrats!!

you do know that unless you have a jdm front bumper, the plate will not fit without a custom bracket, right?

Old 08-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Besides the fact that it's illegal to put the license plate by the windshield, that gets you noticed MORE by your local law enforcement officers.

myke

Old 08-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
always thought placing the plate loosely on the dash was kinda dangerous during an accident. even with suction cups, not sure.

the impact force is brutal. things fly inside the cabin.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Just don't use the front license plate. If you get pull over just tell them it got lost.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by 80s Kid
Just don't use the front license plate. If you get pull over just tell them it got lost.
they'll still give you a ticket... and any other fix it ticket they can pin on you... best bet is to just suck it up and put it on... there are plenty of aftermarket license plate brackets out there so you can place it where you want to

Old 08-20-2009, 03:28 AM
I just keep my front plate in my glovebox.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
my biggest gripe with the front plate is the back of the bracket rubbing on the bumper... eventually it'll rub the paint off
i think some clear bra material might fix that though

Old 08-20-2009, 01:12 PM
Folks, from a San Diego native, there is one reason and one reason only why the law is so well mandated.
How are they going to be able to send you your photo and a fat ticket when you run a red light?
This will become the further norm in other states when more and more cameras go up. They are configured to zoom in on that plate. The other reason why you could get a ticket for having a clear gloss covering on it. To ruin your pix!

Old 08-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Ive had 3 cars with no front plate on them, one for them an RSX Type-S with a little mods and I have never had a problem with it. I think its one of those things that as long as your not driving like an asshat your not gonna get pulled over for a no front plate.

Then again i dont know about the JDM plate being there instead. I think if your gonna run a plate on the front it might as well be the CA plate...

my .02

Old 08-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Unfortunately, you live in the land of nuts and fruitcakes. That front plate does nothing to help the cops. States without them do just fine with the one on the back.
Other than leave for another state, just suck it up and don't give them any more of your money than you have to!.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
I haven't had a front plate on My fit since Ive owned it (October), so far no cops have given me a hard time. *knock on wood*

Old 08-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Front plates, and that nifty bracket that holds the front plates is a good idea.

Which is cheaper to fix? A scraped bracket or a scraped bumper? People will bump into the bracket in general if the bracket is centered instead of hitting your bumper.

Yes, yes, I know that the bracket will transfer the impact of a bump to the bumper. But that bracket will absorb a tiny bit of the impact and it's a lot cheaper to replace.

You CAN probably have it custom painted to match your car. Just yesterday I was going to have the mud/splash guards painted to match my car...but that won't work, because they're rubbery/flexi-plastic and the paint will just come right off if the item flexes (not so with my old VW Cabriolet that had the hard plastic around the wheel wells that was meant to be painted...)

Secondly, there are areas where back-in parking only is allowed. That was being considered for my area. Think about this for a moment, as being YOU...

Your car is stolen. There is no front plate law. Your car goes completely unnoticed because thieves leave off the front license plates and back into their driveways and parking spots.

That front and back plate identify that car as being YOUR car. That's a GOOD thing. You want the police to know that the hijacked car after a robbery only looks like yours, but isn't...because your plate matches your car both on the front and back.

It's a slight safety advantage to have a reflective plate on the front and the back. Even if you aren't in your car, that plate will help others to see your car and hopefully avoid hitting it.

If your car was to run off the road, and there was a search, having a couple of reflective points on the car would help find it, even if it was a black car in the middle night. That reflective plate could save your life if helicopters were overhead with lights.

I can't think of one GOOD reason why not to have the plate. I think it's like driver's license photos...everyone has one, and they aren't necessarily all that attractive, but what are ya gonna do?

Old 08-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Maybe it may add some reflective properties, but I don't think it is enough to justify the negative aspects, like breaking up the smooth lines and color with a dorky plate. On some cars, (my Solstice) it seriously cuts down on the amount of air going through the grill to cool. That's important here in Arizona.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
I saw one of those the other day, I didn't know what it was, until just now looking up the front plate options for you. Kind of looks like the original Corvette.

Anyway, change the position of your license plate. Is yours like this?

Try moving it down like this:

That should make for a sizable difference for your air intake.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Mine doesn't need a front plate, since I am in Arizona, but the factory put the mounts in the middle, like the one on top. Sorta stupid...but I don't use it. Great car, and a blast to drive, but now out of production, and parts are already hard to find, after only 60 days since production ended. So much for GM taking care of its buyers!

Old 08-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by citabria7
Unfortunately, you live in the land of nuts and fruitcakes. That front plate does nothing to help the cops. States without them do just fine with the one on the back....
Well, GA doesn't require front tags, so that damn front mount came-off as soon as I got home. We do, however, have to pay Ad Valorem every year....and riding around with a jacked-up tag gets you a free tour of the county jail. Freakin stone age bullsh!t.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Watsoff
Well, GA doesn't require front tags, so that damn front mount came-off as soon as I got home. We do, however, have to pay Ad Valorem every year....and riding around with a jacked-up tag gets you a free tour of the county jail. Freakin stone age bullsh!t.
Who/what is "Ad Valorem"?
Ahhh...
Ad valorem tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What does that money go towards? Roads and highways?

What is a "jacked-up tag"?

Quick Reply: CA Front Plate Law