2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

CA Front Plate Law

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, here in Georgia we basically pay property tax on our vehicles every year. Not sure how much it'll be on my new Fit, but I pay a couple hundred bucks a year on my '02 Accord V6. At least we don't have to contend with annual inspections--and only the folks in Atlanta have to worry about emissions testing.

Last edited by blyndgesser; 08-21-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:39 PM
watsoff..Here in Arizona, we have a unique plate with a cactus and mountains on it. A lot of license plate frames cover the small ARIZONA at the top. They made it illegal to cover the state name, since, according to the cops, they could not tell what state the plate was from. With a big cactus and mountains, they can't tell their own state? Seems it was just to make it easier for photo radar, and give them an excuse to write a ticket for $150 if they saw it in person. At least Jesse James used a gun to rob people!

Old 08-21-2009, 09:48 PM
My family owns several cars without front plates, and have never had issues about not having a front plate. Maybe my family is just lucky.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:07 PM
Ein
5 Year Member
It's just a matter of time.

I have been driving for a long time front plateless without problem until a small town cop decided otherwise.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:53 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by citabria7
watsoff..Here in Arizona, we have a unique plate with a cactus and mountains on it. A lot of license plate frames cover the small ARIZONA at the top. They made it illegal to cover the state name, since, according to the cops, they could not tell what state the plate was from. With a big cactus and mountains, they can't tell their own state? Seems it was just to make it easier for photo radar, and give them an excuse to write a ticket for $150 if they saw it in person. At least Jesse James used a gun to rob people!
I looked at various license plate frames, and chose one that was a set, one "behind the plate" in black and one skinny "on top of the plate" chrome. That's for the back. Since the front already has the black surround, I got the chrome top for the front plate.

As far as those Arizona plates, maybe a suggestion or petition will help make an optional plate that does not have some easily hidden state name. Some of the license plates are GORGEOUS.

I think it's Blythe that has a Blue Sensation Fit with a virtually matching plate from Colorado?

Just a little hard to read?:

pl8ster.net :: Arizona license plates

Who was on psychedelics when they made that one?

I don't know how many of these are available, but you have some kick-butt custom plates in AZ:
Motor Vehicle Division

Old 08-22-2009, 12:02 AM
I can tell you from experience if you do not have your license plate in the front bumper you will get cited plain and simple( I had it on my windshield too)

5200vc. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear. (b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof , unless the license plate is issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate shall be displayed in accordance with Section

This is the ticket i I got, yes it DOES NOT say on the bumper, but clearly that is where it is intended to be therefore it should be there.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by likaglov
I can tell you from experience if you do not have your license plate in the front bumper you will get cited plain and simple( I had it on my windshield too)

5200vc. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear. (b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof , unless the license plate is issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate shall be displayed in accordance with Section

This is the ticket i I got, yes it DOES NOT say on the bumper, but clearly that is where it is intended to be therefore it should be there.
I had some guy behind me on the way home, with his front plate on the dash. It's not legible. It was partially blocked by his wipers.

Seen this thread yet?:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/othe...nt-my-car.html

Oh yeah. I want to know who did that. I want to catch a couple numbers or letters, whether the person is coming or going.

When people don't drive like morons, then you can expect no front plates to be required.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
I had some guy behind me on the way home, with his front plate on the dash. It's not legible. It was partially blocked by his wipers.

Seen this thread yet?:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/othe...nt-my-car.html

Oh yeah. I want to know who did that. I want to catch a couple numbers or letters, whether the person is coming or going.

When people don't drive like morons, then you can expect no front plates to be required.
By no means am I saying it's a good idea or defending it. When it happened to me, I had not taken my boosted focus out for some time, felt like hitting the twisties and I just did not have my plate mounted on the front bumper.

No worries I also got a ticket for no winshield wipers, on a bright sunny desert day . My car was/is completely street legal except for that one trip w/ the license plate. Moral of the story, not worth it, to much hassle for fix it tickets.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:51 AM
Tafffeta...yeah we have so many variations available that it boggles the mind. All for an extra fee, of course, if you don't want the standard one. Even though we can petition, it does no good. The state is broke, and getting the money is all they listen to right now. There is a real cool one that is so colorful it's hard to read the numbers or the state. I might get one of them

Old 08-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
What does that money go towards? Roads and highways?

What is a "jacked-up tag"?
The Ad V tax goes towards....hell if i know.

"jacked-up" as in, if you mess with any part of the tag in terms of visibility or alteration.

Originally Posted by citabria7
...yup, same lame law here. We've got the state at the top, and counties on the bottom. If you obscure either of these with those tag frames, then it's a roll of the dice. Atlanta PD and surrounding cities are known to pull folks over just for this. And, yeah, GA has a big freakin peach dead center of the tag

Last edited by Watsoff; 08-23-2009 at 10:17 PM. Reason: after thought
Old 08-23-2009, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Watsoff
The Ad V tax goes towards....hell if i know.

"jacked-up" as in, if you mess with any part of the tag in terms of visibility or alteration.

...yup, same lame law here. We've got the state at the top, and counties on the bottom. If you obscure either of these with those tag frames, then it's a roll of the dice. Atlanta PD and surrounding cities are known to pull folks over just for this. And, yeah, GA has a big freakin peach dead center of the tag

I actually LIKE that kind of plate that has the County name on it! That could be very useful for the police in locating stolen cars or tracking suspects from kidnappings or robberies or getaway cars. (too many old movies, LOL).

Not that the police need to be pulling everyone from out of the area over, but it could be extra useful, like for that whack job guy that hacked up the wife in So Cal and sped off for Canada.

No matter what plate he used on his getaway car, it would have had that area's county name. That would have been a better tip-off for authorities. Especially in this particular state that is pretty big.

Unless the criminal is stopping every few counties to steal plates.

Although, I don't see how you can't obscure part of the Georgia name, since there's a SCREW HOLE right there. Probably would bust someone for using those screw caps, eh?

Hey, you have some nice ones! I like all the animal-related ones, cat, dog, both cat and dog, horse, dolphin, sea turtle, hummingbird. I like the purple coneflower:

Untitled Page

They don't seem to go nuts with colors, like the ones from Arizona. But by golly, Georgia has a lot of school, Nascar, and special interest plates.