2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Trading in 09 Civic Si for 09 Fit Sport?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Trading in 09 Civic Si for 09 Fit Sport?!?

Ok, there is part of me that thinks im crazy, but part of me that wants to do this...

Background: I had a 2007 Fit 5-speed base. I loved the versatility of the car (carried a couch home from Ikea) and its maneuverability. Things I didnt like were the lack of armrest, lack of passenger visor mirror and the fact that I had a base model with no cruise, crappy stereo, and hubcaps.

Here is my situation:

Now, I have a 2009 Civic Si Sedan that I like. It's quick and fun, However, I have quite a large payment and dont get to drive the car like it should be driven. (I have a 1.5 mile city commute and highway driving when I go anywhere, which is not 'fun'.) It just doesnt seem like I 'get my moneys worth'. I would also welcome the MUCH lower payment (approx $200 a month less) , regular gas, and hatchback versatility.

I was considering trading for a used 07-08 Fit Sport so I could lower my payments, get the versatility I want and have the ability to make it quick in the future if I want (Kraftwerks). However, my dealer has hinted at the possibility of a 2009 Fit Sport...

So my questions are:
Has anyone here ever traded in a Civic Si for a 09 Fit? Any regrets? I dont know too much about the 09's, anything that I should expect to be disappointed in the 2009 Fit? (It seems that my concerns about my old 07 have been addressed). Do you think that Kraftwerks will eventually make a kit for the 2009's?

I have always heard that its better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow... I am pretty sure that is a true statement.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
If you're already tight on cash and if you can make the switch without loss, there's really no reason to discuss.

Just do the switch.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:41 PM
When I was shopping, I was surprised to find out that the 2009 could be had for less than a pre-owned 2006-2008. More shocked.

Don't inherit someone else's possible problems, go for the new one if you can do it without taking too much of a loss.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Well cash isn't 'tight', but an extra $200 a month would be welcome!

I agree about buying new. I like the idea of it rather than buying a potentially ragged car.

I don't think it would be too much of a loss. Maybe $1000. But its worth the lower payment.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by richard_rsp
Well cash isn't 'tight', but an extra $200 a month would be welcome!

I agree about buying new. I like the idea of it rather than buying a potentially ragged car.

I don't think it would be too much of a loss. Maybe $1000. But its worth the lower payment.

If money isnt tight jump in the 09 Fit & those extra 200 a month give it to the Fit. So every month take the 200 & add another mod to the Fit.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
Personally, if cash wasn't tight, I wouldn't do it.

I highly doubt you'll be able to pull in only $1000 less than actual value. Vehicles drop their value the moment you drive them off the lot and unless you have a special deal with a specific dealer, there's no way they aren't going to get you for at least a few grand on the Si.

Keep the Si as you will find a place to drive it... Heck, you're in GA, you should be able to get out to the country fairly quickly.

~SB

Old 08-17-2009, 10:17 PM
Yeah, its kinda a special deal with a dealership. This would be my 4th car through the same salesman at this dealership... And actually I got my Si for a good deal, so I am really should be only about $1000 out.

My concern is just that I dont feel that I am getting any 'benefit' from having an Si, just paying alot for nothing... I do live in the middle of nowhere, but in South Georgia. No Curves, Flat Land. Not real fun unless i feel like breaking the law.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by richard_rsp
Yeah, its kinda a special deal with a dealership. This would be my 4th car through the same salesman at this dealership... And actually I got my Si for a good deal, so I am really should be only about $1000 out.

My concern is just that I dont feel that I am getting any 'benefit' from having an Si, just paying alot for nothing... I do live in the middle of nowhere, but in South Georgia. No Curves, Flat Land. Not real fun unless i feel like breaking the law.
Easy solution... Move...

Just Kidding.

It sounds like you aren't really feeling the Si. Ask yourself one question. If you don't have the Si, will you miss it? If not, then it probably wasn't the right car for you. I traded an 07 Altima 3.5SE and for me the answer was NO. I fortunately, do have the twisties here in VT which makes for an enjoyable 35 min commute to work. The SE had a great suspension but was too big of a car. I'd love to have an Si up here (I miss my old GS-R) but the Fit Sport reminded me of why I enjoy driving.

~SB

Old 08-17-2009, 11:11 PM
If I can surrender my 2004 Accord EX V6 with Nav and only 49,000 miles in excellent shape for mostly lack of fun factor, you can give up the Civic! While I feel this wasn't the best financial decision of my life, once I got my Fit last week I never looked back, and LOVE this car. I didn't love my old car. It was grandma-level comfortable, but other than that - it was so boring. I don't even think about it today.

The Fit has got this weird awesome thing going on, where it's "econobox" but extremely hip, cool, and eye-catching at the same time. I think it's the cutest small car out there (ok, well a mini cooper is pretty darn cute).

It's peppy too. One thing I hated about my Accord was that even though it had 240 HP, when you stepped on the gas it took about 1/2 second before it moved, as if it was questioning if I just stepped on the pedal. Sure when it kicked in it kicked, but then any joy attained was sapped by the heavy steering.

When I step on the gas in my new Fit, there's no hesitation... it goes. And the steering is dreamy. The view out the front window is dreamy. The blue-lit gauges are dreamy.

If I haven't already made my point, I think you should get the Fit. And a new one too! The 09's address all your former complaints and are more stylish and are new. What's the debate?

Old 08-17-2009, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
Old 08-17-2009, 11:38 PM
Thanks everybody!

kkim, thanks for the link. Seems like you have pretty much been in my exact situation.
That helps alot!

Old 08-18-2009, 01:21 AM
5 Year Member
FIT FTW!! I know there's at least few guys on here that could have had just about any car around this price range (and beyond) yet still chose the Fit! You'll thank us when gas spikes.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:56 AM
It always comes down to your decision. I also traded in a 2004 Accord EX, fully loaded and only 34,000 miles for a '09 fit sport. I love it. It is more versatile and just more fun to drive.

If the finances are good, go for it. Get the color you want with the options you want, or add them later.

handymus

Old 08-18-2009, 04:57 AM
5 Year Member
Don't do it.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:38 AM
Originally Posted by Lipappy
It's peppy too. One thing I hated about my Accord was that even though it had 240 HP, when you stepped on the gas it took about 1/2 second before it moved, as if it was questioning if I just stepped on the pedal. Sure when it kicked in it kicked, but then any joy attained was sapped by the heavy steering.

When I step on the gas in my new Fit, there's no hesitation... it goes. And the steering is dreamy. The view out the front window is dreamy. The blue-lit gauges are dreamy.
The no hesitation you are refering to is the drive by wire throttle system. New Honda/Acura cars have a drive by wire throttle.

"With smart electronics connecting the throttle pedal to the throttle butterfly valve in the intake system, the engine response can be optimized to suit the driving conditions and to better match the driver's expectations. Combined with the dual stage air intake, the drive-by-wire throttle control system is an important component to the new i-VTEC system that makes switching between the low pumping loss mode and the high performance mode seamless to the driver. By eliminating the direct throttle cable connection to the engine, the ratio between pedal movement and throttle butterfly movement can be continuously optimized. This adjustable "gain" between throttle and engine is a significant step forward in drivability. A highly responsive DC motor moves the throttle butterfly position in the intake system to change actual throttle position. To establish the current driving conditions, the system monitors pedal position, throttle valve opening position, vehicle speed, engine speed, and engine vacuum. This information is then used to define the throttle control sensitivity."

I too traded in a much faster Honda which didn't have the drive by wire (01 Acura CL-S) yes the Fit with no hesitation is nice but the feel can sometimes be twitchy also with the drive by wire system. It takes some getting use to but in the end it is nicer to have.
My 07 TSX has the same system. When I first got it I didn't like it but now that both of my cars have it I couldn't imagine going back.

In this case w/ an 09 SI and a Fit both have drive by wire systems so the throttle hesitation is not applicable in this scenario.

To the OP. I almost bought the SI but after see the storage and practicality of the Fit I don't miss the HP at all. I still drive faster than 90% of the people on the road I now just get at least 10 more mpg than them doing it. I love seeing this big v8's and v6's going 60-65 mph on the freeway and I pass them in my little 1.5L 118hp Fit going 70-75 mph and flying right by. IMO who cares about 0-60 in the real world (unless you want to do stop light racing) In the real world a peppy little 1.5L Fit is all you really need.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 08-18-2009 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:18 AM
Just out of curiosity, can someone explain to me how the financials work?

Assuming there are no beefy down payments involved, if you trade your $22k car for $21k you still owe $1000 on the loan which is carried over to the loan on the Fit... So basically whatever your Fit costs, add $1000. Assuming you get a Fit Sport for $17000 + the $1000 carryover...even on a 3-year loan @ 7% the montly payment only goes down by $120...

Still $120/month extra plus savings on not having to use regular gas plus much better fuel economy adds up over time. Normally you take a bath on a quick trade like this, but if you're only going to lose $1000 that's not terrible, especially if it saves you from being a slave to your car payment.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:18 AM
Currently paying $480 a month @ 60 mos for Si.
Owe $22,600
Trade in offered @ $20,600
Price offered for Fit Sport 5-Spd $15,685 (invoice)
+$60 Title/ tag Swap. (No Taxes due to trade-in being greater value than what purchasing)
Putting $500 Down (since it will be 45-days till due and I would be missing next payment, no problem)
Total Financed is $17,245
Offering 5.9% @ 72 mos will put me @ $285 a month

Factor in that my insurance is $14 less a month and that saves a total of $209 a month (not including gas savings)...

Even though im $2000 "in the hole" with the trade the tax savings is ~$1,000 - $1,100 so that puts me only about $900 - $1000 over what the cost would be if I wasn't trading.

Last edited by richard_rsp; 08-18-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member
It sounds to me that your not really enjoying the SI either. I was pondering trading in my 99 prelude for the Fit and finally did it. I had 144K on it and that thing had 195 HP stock. It moved and handled better than the fit, without question. It was getting old though and started having lots of problems. Although I miss the power and handling of the prelude, I can get the fit to handle just as well with a tire upgrade. Pros to the Fit were better MPG, not having to put in 91 all the time, more room, 4 doors, the hatch. This is my first hatch back and I LOVE hatches now. They're just so versatile. Plus the flat folding rear seat, nice. Your probably also looking at a lower TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) on the Fit than the SI.

Last edited by Fitguy07; 08-18-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:40 AM
It's hard to enjoy it.
I feel like I don't get to use the "benefits" of having an Si. At least not to justify the cost.
The way it is used on a daily basis, I might as well have kept my EX Civic.

And yes, I agree with you about the hatchback. My 2nd car was a 94 Civic Si and I fell in love then. Plus as I mentioned before, in my 2007 Fit Base, I actually carried my girlfriend and a couch home from Ikea with the hatch closed! Very Impressive.

Last edited by richard_rsp; 08-18-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:07 PM
just a general comment. its easy to get wrapped up in what your payment is. Dealers like it, cause it sound a lot less than the amount financed. Keep your eye on how much you're actually going to pay, regardless of the payment. I would venture a guess that the civic si will hold value better than a fit, so think about that as well. Good luck with your decision!

Quick Reply: Trading in 09 Civic Si for 09 Fit Sport?!?