2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

MPG indicator

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vickenp
I have a 09 fit LX 5 speed manual here in canada - had it for 1.5 months with just over 2000kms.

I use the following manual calculation: fuel used x 100 divided by kms driven

Please correct me if i'm wrong

I reset the trip counter every fill up

The only items I can cycle are - total kms driven, trip A, oil life, avg kms / litre

My typical is about 6.3L / 100kms (at least thats what the computer says) but my last manual calculation was 6.8 in mostly city driving.

Does the dealer service bulletin apply to canadian 09 fits as well? Any canadians go to their dealer to bring this up?

thanks
You are not driving it hard or fast enough. I have been at or just under 7/100. I usually fill up at 500 km or less.

I have kept track of my gas purchases since day one so I think is a better indicator of mileage rather than a couple of tanks. I had 5800 kms and 404l when last calculated.

I really didn't buy it for mileage but just enjoyed the go kart feel so more of an expensive toy. I did not get rid of my other vehicle.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:28 PM
FYI..I took my Fit into 2 dealers today to have the service bulletin taken care of. They both refused. Even though the bulletin says ALL 09 FITS, they claimed it had to refer to my VIN, or Honda will refuse payment. They also said it had to be a recall. Just a service bulletin apparently means nothing.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:42 PM
My dealership didn't even hesitate. When I called them I had the TSB sitting in front of me, and I knew exactly what I was talking about. The service advisor scheduled the appointment for the earliest time I could drop the car off, and was very helpful. The car is sitting there right now, waiting for them to open in the morning so they can do it.

The trick is telling them what to do. I offered to provide them a copy of the TSB, and they said they've already got it.

If a dealership is refusing to take care of your car, call up honda's corporate complaint number. They'll take care of that pretty quickly.

Last edited by awptickes; 11-23-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by citabria7
FYI..I took my Fit into 2 dealers today to have the service bulletin taken care of. They both refused. Even though the bulletin says ALL 09 FITS, they claimed it had to refer to my VIN, or Honda will refuse payment. They also said it had to be a recall. Just a service bulletin apparently means nothing.
http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/Customer/index.asp

You need that.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
That's total BS. Both service dealers are being a pain in the cashoosh. That's real bad luck that both refused... very strange. I plan on stopping by this week,with the TSB in hand, and have them perform the upgrade.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:49 AM
5 Year Member
Unhappy

My dealer couldn't find any update for the computer in my Jazz - I suppose I have to wait for a European version of the update/bulletin...

Old 11-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Is this only an issue with 2009s? My 2010 seems to be pretty close to dead on (within .3 mpg, which I would place well within the margin of error in my "cutoff" point among different fuel pumps, since I don't use the same nozzle at the same station each time)

Old 11-24-2009, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
Just wondering if my calculations are correct (canadian speaking wise)

fuel used x 100 divided by kms driven

any comments......

Also anyone in canada get this update done?

Anyway to know if this procedure can be reversed ? is this a bios update or software update?

Old 11-24-2009, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vickenp
Just wondering if my calculations are correct (canadian speaking wise)

fuel used x 100 divided by kms driven

any comments......

Also anyone in canada get this update done?

Anyway to know if this procedure can be reversed ? is this a bios update or software update?
if you want to express consumption as liters/100km that is entirely correct. eh?

rhyneba reported above that they don't have an equivalent bulletin in Canada. Don't know if it's needed or just delayed.

This is a software update (as opposed to hardware) that involves connecting the car to an external computer (via OBDII?) and flashing its control module. It's not something you can do on your own, but I'm sure Honda service could flash an older version if this one had bugs.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
i had the software update done today.

they were happy to see i had a year's worth of logged MPG discrepancies.

my tank was near empty, so after the fix i went and filled the tank.

in about 8 days i'll get my first chance to see how accurate the fix is.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:28 PM
It's amazing what a call to Honda America will do. They wanted the name of the service manager. Said to call back and tell the manager that I had talked to Honda. Both the manager and tech called me back. It will be fixed at my pleasure. That was a real change of attitude!

Old 11-24-2009, 08:17 PM
Thumbs up

It's amazing what a call to Honda America will do. They wanted the name of the service manager. Said to call back and tell the manager that I had talked to Honda. Both the manager and tech called me back. It will be fixed at my pleasure. That was a real change of attitude!
I'm so happy this issue will be resolved for you. I've been with Honda for a few years; the service advisors are instrumental in getting these issues reported and ultimately fixed. I know it may sound like a shill, but getting services done at a dealer (dealer relationship) is helpful. At my store an oil change and Genuine Honda blue filter, crush washer, fluids topped costs $26.69 with tax on a Fit. A trans service on an AT is about $74.00, manual about $68.00. My rambling point is that a customer for things other than warranty complaints (the technical term) will get the attention needed to get these things fixed (once a fix exists) or get it escalated until they can be. Go to your dealer and ask for the advisor that is most into the technical stuff and TSBs; they most likely will all laugh and point you to the same guy. At my shop everybody would point to me I'm also the tire nerd.

Now that you have these guys working, the next time should be easier.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
I got flashed! Well the Fit did; she promises to be much more honest with me now.

Ed Voyles in Atlanta did the trick. Miki the service adviser was a bit surprised, "They just posted this!" No questions. Took less than an hour. Go see Miki and freak her out if you're in Atlanta.

The animated mpg bar graph seems more honest too. Even the gas gauge seems more honest. Took it in with 7/8 tank and they gave it back with under 3/4, a more accurate representation of remaining fuel. No they didn't drive it around for an hour.

I'll report back on my tests after the next full tank is used.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:01 AM
5 Year Member
I took my car to the dealer last night to schedule this. After the usual "where did you get this?", and "we haven't heard of anyone having a problem with this", they read through the copy of the bulletin I gave them, looked at my mileage log and scheduled me for an appointment this afternoon.

I'll let you know how it works. I haven't noticed any inaccuracy in the fuel gage, just the average MPG calculations.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
Got mine (2009) flashed today with new fuel gauge calc code... I fueled up right out of the dealer, and will know how accurate this is in about 6-7 days. Will report back!

Old 11-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Got mine done. If anyone is having problems with a dealership, you can print this out along with the TSB.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
as with rhyneba's experience, it appears the software update works.

i've had the fix for 2 full days and my mpg monitor happens to be reading exactly what my hand calculated lifetime ave has been. in other words, the fix works!

Old 11-26-2009, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rhyneba
I'm so happy this issue will be resolved for you. I've been with Honda for a few years; the service advisors are instrumental in getting these issues reported and ultimately fixed. I know it may sound like a shill, but getting services done at a dealer (dealer relationship) is helpful. At my store an oil change and Genuine Honda blue filter, crush washer, fluids topped costs $26.69 with tax on a Fit. A trans service on an AT is about $74.00, manual about $68.00. My rambling point is that a customer for things other than warranty complaints (the technical term) will get the attention needed to get these things fixed (once a fix exists) or get it escalated until they can be. Go to your dealer and ask for the advisor that is most into the technical stuff and TSBs; they most likely will all laugh and point you to the same guy. At my shop everybody would point to me I'm also the tire nerd.

Now that you have these guys working, the next time should be easier.
Sorry to go off topic but that is cheap. Sam Linder Honda in Salinas wants about $250 for an auto trans service on my wife's 08 Fit. Over $350 for a "30k mile service." The guy asked me if I wanted a 30k service. I asked him what the book calls for. He said, "I dunno, what does it call for?" I was speechless and just laughed.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike2100
Sorry to go off topic but that is cheap. Sam Linder Honda in Salinas wants about $250 for an auto trans service on my wife's 08 Fit. Over $350 for a "30k mile service." The guy asked me if I wanted a 30k service. I asked him what the book calls for. He said, "I dunno, what does it call for?" I was speechless and just laughed.
Isn't 30K on these things an oil change, change filters (cabin and intake)? I think the low maintenance of cars these days is making service managers schizo. Looking at my manual, trans service isn't recommended until 60K and that's for severe service!

$74 for trans service sounds reasonable. $250 sounds like magic transmission service (or the so called power flush) but that's still $100 too much. I think I'd look for a different service dept.

Replace transmission fluid
Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds results in higher transmission temperatures. This requires transmission fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the maintenance minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the transmission fluid changed at 60,000 miles (100,000 km), then every 30,000 miles (48,000 km). (For A/T only)
I think I'll go strictly by the maintenance minder and make sure I'm not getting unneeded services and not being charged too much.

Last edited by Steve244; 11-26-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by mike2100
Have you had many dealigs with them? I took my Element to Val Strough once for warranty service, (a known TSB issue) and even though I let them know ahead of time the TSB for the issue as well as the replacement part that was needed, they still were clueless when I arrived.

I bought my Fit from Ocean Honda in Santa Cruz... Mainly because they had the trim (sport AT) I wanted, in a color other than black. My experience buying there was largely good. (BTW, I'm in Seaside. If you ever run across a silver '10 with an NPR sticker in the rear glass, that's me)

Quick Reply: MPG indicator