2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

MPG indicator

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:03 PM
My dealer just sent an email to me about the guage. He stated that Honda is aware of the problem, and he spoke to the guy who was in on the designing of the meter. At this point, Honda is not sure how to go about addressing the issue. They did look at this website, and are aware that it is not isolated. Anyway, the dealer will get back with me as soon as Honda gets back to him. I will keep the thread posted. maybe a few more calls to Honda by more people might help.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by citabria7
My dealer just sent an email to me about the guage. He stated that Honda is aware of the problem, and he spoke to the guy who was in on the designing of the meter. At this point, Honda is not sure how to go about addressing the issue. They did look at this website, and are aware that it is not isolated. Anyway, the dealer will get back with me as soon as Honda gets back to him. I will keep the thread posted. maybe a few more calls to Honda by more people might help.
All they need is a computer update, a "whoops, we goofed" hand-out explaining what happened, a service bulletin, and a coupon for a free oil-change or a percent-off accessories.

The percent-off accessories would probably be more profitable for them and encourage people to go back to their own local dealership. There aren't a lot of accessories to be had, especially if one chooses the Sport model.

15-20% off door-ding strips or mats would work for me. Well, I have the mats. But for anyone else. Cargo covers, cargo mats. All the trim, like window ventilation or edge guard or hood deflector. There are a lot of USEFUL accessories that are kind of over-priced.

Would that work for most people? A single item discount of maybe 20% off an accessory? No labor discount, just for the part itself.

For things like the cargo mat, the dealer will charge installation, even though all you do is take it out of the plastic wrap and drop it in. And it's REALLY useful for that back area. You'd get a discount on the item and you can drop it in yourself.

Here's the 2009 accessories section:
2009 Honda Fit - Accessories - Official Honda Web site

Old 08-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Actually, a dealer did that for me once. I bought an 89 Civic, and they told me it had one engine, and it actually had a much lower powered version. I ended up with free cruise control, and sold the car for a profit. That was a dealer screw-up, not Honda's. That said, however, I think Honda might think it was extortion on this. I really would like mine to simply work right. Personally, I'll pay for anything I want added on. Honda doesn't charge nearly as much for their add-on stuff as Ford and others do.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:53 AM
5 Year Member
"mileage left" is (also) way off

This has got to be the worst trip computer ever!

At my last fill-up the mileage indicator showed 6,3 l/'00km and actual mileage was 6,7 l/'00 km. - the same experience as everyone else here.

When I filled it up the "milelage left" (don't know the right term) claimed that I had 650 km left - that would equal an average mileage of 5,3 l/'00km!! I haven't even been close to that at any time.
I only drive in the city and the mileage indicator has been around 7(!). At half the actual mileage + the "mileage left" was 580. Now, at 400 km the mileage left is 100 km.

According to the manual the gauge should calculate the mileage left based on the "last few km's". I would rather have it based on an average since the last trip "B" reset, but the last few miles could be ok. But from my calculations it seems more like it just uses a fixed consumption rate (around 5,4 l/'00km). That is even lower than the "official" 5,49.

Basically it makes the reading useless - even more useless than the average mileage reading!

Old 08-26-2009, 03:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ThomP
This has got to be the worst trip computer ever!

At my last fill-up the mileage indicator showed 6,3 l/'00km and actual mileage was 6,7 l/'00 km. - the same experience as everyone else here.

When I filled it up the "milelage left" (don't know the right term) claimed that I had 650 km left - that would equal an average mileage of 5,3 l/'00km!! I haven't even been close to that at any time.
I only drive in the city and the mileage indicator has been around 7(!). At half the actual mileage + the "mileage left" was 580. Now, at 400 km the mileage left is 100 km.

According to the manual the gauge should calculate the mileage left based on the "last few km's". I would rather have it based on an average since the last trip "B" reset, but the last few miles could be ok. But from my calculations it seems more like it just uses a fixed consumption rate (around 5,4 l/'00km). That is even lower than the "official" 5,49.

Basically it makes the reading useless - even more useless than the average mileage reading!
In the U.S., we don't have a "mileage left" thing. Where is that? Same area as the AVE mpg?

Old 08-26-2009, 03:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by citabria7
Actually, a dealer did that for me once. I bought an 89 Civic, and they told me it had one engine, and it actually had a much lower powered version. I ended up with free cruise control, and sold the car for a profit. That was a dealer screw-up, not Honda's. That said, however, I think Honda might think it was extortion on this. I really would like mine to simply work right. Personally, I'll pay for anything I want added on. Honda doesn't charge nearly as much for their add-on stuff as Ford and others do.
†he reason I thought a coupon might be useful is that those who don't know about the AVE mpg indicator being off are going to be upset. They go in for service, come out, and their AVE mpg will be lower. If they question the service department, they'll be told that their indicator didn't work properly.

The hand-out with an explanation and a coupon might help. But this may be a worldwide problem. That's a lot of accessories.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
In the U.S., we don't have a "mileage left" thing. Where is that? Same area as the AVE mpg?
I can cycle the upper part of my display between "current l/'00km" (the bar thing), "avg. l/'00km", "km left". What do you have in the US

Old 08-26-2009, 04:29 AM
5 Year Member
Unless I'm mistaken, we don't have the option to change the bar graph. It defaults to 'current' with no way to change it. The only thing we can cycle through is the info underneath, ie- miles, trip miles, mpg, oil life, and something else? I've only had my fit a little more than a week, so I can't remember them all!

It does make me wonder though- can ANY of those readouts be trusted?!

Dan

Last edited by Shockwave199; 08-26-2009 at 04:31 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
Unless I'm mistaken, we don't have the option to change the bar graph. It defaults to 'current' with no way to change it. The only thing we can cycle through is the info underneath, ie- miles, trip miles, mpg, oil life, and something else? I've only had my fit a little more than a week, so I can't remember them all!
Sounds like the layouts are quite different! I don't have oil life But I have outside temp in the bottom left and cycle through ODO, trip A and trip B in the bottom right. Do you only have one trip? Trip A can reset automatically when refuelling.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
My indicator is around 3 miles to the gallon too high. I got 32 MPG last tank, and the computer said 35.2

Old 08-26-2009, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like the layouts are quite different! I don't have oil life But I have outside temp in the bottom left and cycle through ODO, trip A and trip B in the bottom right. Do you only have one trip? Trip A can reset automatically when refuelling
The layouts do seem quite different! And from what you're saying, I like ours more, personally. So, you have outside temp, ODO Trip A/B? I like our choices better. I wonder why the choices are different at all? What year is your car? Mines an '09. I wonder if this inconsistancy has anything to do with unreliable gauge readouts.

My indicator is around 3 miles to the gallon too high. I got 32 MPG last tank, and the computer said 35.2
Like I said, if I minus 3 gallons from my mpg readout, it puts the mpg's at the advertised sticker. But I TOTALLY agree, this should flat out be fixed. I hope there is a recall for this one, but I wouldn't hold my breath. This is getting mention when I bring my car in for first oil change.

Dan

Old 08-26-2009, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
There are differences in many Fit/Jazz models around the world. I'd hoped people would participate, in the thread I started on Honda Fit India. Just to browse the India site and see what people notice as being different. I looked at the colors, myself. LOL!

Australia has different engines, and three trim levels. Canada has three trim levels, no different engines. Argentina has leather interior and different layout on the dash. Some countries do not have a 'sport' option, in that there are no things above the back window. But they may have different front ends.

No one country has it all. You can't get every single color, interior, engine, body, options.

I'd LIKE to see that available though. So that people could totally order an almost custom car. Sure, it would HAVE to be ordered, but that way people could have more of a selection. It would add on costs, if you wanted ALL the extras. They could be "special order only" options. Certain colors, leather interiors, certain front ends.

I would have loved to have vinyl or leather over this awful fabric.

Anyway, folks, Honda will not do anything unless you mention it to them. Call them, go into the dealer, etc. You have to do it if you want it fixed.

It might not be perfectly accurate after an update, but it would be very nice if it was considerably closer to the actual AVE mpg.

Some of us are trying very hard to get it fixed by going to the dealers and Honda. What if only the ones who complained TO Honda get it fixed? Then everyone would have to do the same things in order to get it fixed. The more people that work towards getting it fixed, the sooner it may be fixed.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:13 AM
taffetawhite..well said

Old 08-28-2009, 01:58 AM
I've been keeping track of our mileage since new, comparing it to the readout. On average it's about 4 mpg high. Highest was around 7 mpg too high and the closest to actual was around 2 mpg too high.

I notified the dealer at around 1000 miles / 3 months into ownership.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:52 AM
Funny how so many people have called Honda directly, and gone to the dealers, but until very recently, Honda kept saying they never heard of the problem. Sounds like when my daughter's Kia had clutch problems. They claimed they never had a clutch go out on one, yet I saw 6 brought in on the hook with bad clutches while I was at the dealer. 2 in a 15 minute period.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
A TSB and an ECU reflash will eventually come out. I'd been through this for 4 years with the RX-8, except its issues were a little more annoying than an MPG calculator being off :P

Old 09-08-2009, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
Well, I went through 5 tanks on our new Fit and found that the meter has been as bad as 6.8 MPG off and as good as 1.5 MPG off - all on the optimistic side. Seems to be more accurate with flat/highway driving (the third tank was all highway driving from Ohio to Virginia and the last set of numbers was on the trip back):

Old 09-08-2009, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BigWonton
Well, I went through 5 tanks on our new Fit and found that the meter has been as bad as 6.8 MPG off and as good as 1.5 MPG off - all on the optimistic side. Seems to be more accurate with flat/highway driving (the third tank was all highway driving from Ohio to Virginia and the last set of numbers was on the trip back):

well the 6.8 and 1.5 tanks were back to back. they balance each other out to be about 4.x mpg. That's what I'm averaging and if one pump is off by a bit, the next one usually compensates for it. That's why keeping track over the long term will make sense.

~SB

Old 09-08-2009, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
well the 6.8 and 1.5 tanks were back to back. they balance each other out to be about 4.x mpg. That's what I'm averaging and if one pump is off by a bit, the next one usually compensates for it. That's why keeping track over the long term will make sense.

~SB
SB - I could see that if the type of driving was the same, but the 6.8 was from my wife driving the Fit back and forth from work in Cleveland (city driving) and the 1.5 was from when I gassed it up right at the entrance to the turnpike and drove until I gassed up again after I got off the freeway - probably not more than 10 miles of highway driving.

My wife already thinks I'm anal for keeping track of mileage and making her record what the Fit avg MPG readout is. She'll probably kill me for asking her to keep track of what percentage of driving is highway and city.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
I have a 09 Fit M/T Base. As a general rule of thumb apply -4mpg to any thing the gauge says.

I get 44-45mpg on the highway = 40-41mpg
I get 38-39mpg in the city = 34-35mpg

Verified several times and it seems very consistent for me.

Quick Reply: MPG indicator