2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

MPG indicator

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
Even after I had the fix done, my meter runs an average of 2mpg high. I have only ONCE in the last 20K miles had the meter actually be lower than the calculated mileage but that was only on a fill-up of 4 gallons. Not something to reliably go by.

~SB

Old 04-13-2011, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
Eh, it only seems random to you.

If you limit "version numbers" to only digits, then you get about ten times for each position (xxx gives about a thousand). But the moment you include letters, it jumps. If you know what hexadecimals are, that's 16 times per position. If you use the whole alphabet, it's 26. Letters and number is 36.

Are you assuming they're just using numbers? Cause it's already shown that they use letters in the middle.

While I can't speak for them, it is perfectly acceptable for letters to "come after" numbers... Meaning, you do have a higher version number.
Yeah, I figured they might be using hex but assuming it goes in order (which admittedly is probably wrong) A is relatively far from 4 in either direction and while I'm aware that build numbers can advance pretty fast during development, it just didn't seem likely that they would have gone through that many revisions. Although from the other numbers being changed, it appears that they're not using incremental version numbers and that each of the 4 digits probably refers to so me individual component within the program.

Originally Posted by spin out
that's way too much of an error.

are you measuring it after every tank of gas?

i'd ask them to update the software anyway.... or go to another dealer if there's one close by. because 4.4 is bogus
Yes, this is after every tank of gas. 90% of the tanks are from the same 2 stations and the log is from October 2009 to January of this year.

Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
Look at TSB again under warranty claim info (and point this out to your dealer). It shows a failed (older) program code similar to yours. So appears your dealer is wrong and -A730 is not later than -4050

Have them update your software to most current they have on file and I bet your problem will be fixed.

_
Thanks for pointing that out. It seems odd since the TSB says something like -A63 since its missing a digit although probably just referring to a range. It does also seem to indicate that I have an older version than what it should be according to the TSB. I guess I'll take it to a different dealer and bring it up and see what they say. I'm thinking that my dealer just doesn't bother updating their scanners with the new PGMs so that it doesn't show up when they plug them in. (Dealer said they didn't have any software versions other than what was already on my car)

Old 04-13-2011, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
back when this was a hot topic, i recall some dealers were trying to shrug off the issue... using excuses not to deal with it.

i was the first person at my particular dealer to mention it to them. so it came a bit out of the blue for them....... but i came armed with the service bulletin, and they did the job for me, no fuss no muss.

they also did the LMS recall work really well. no issues w/ the work at all.

i'm actually beginning to trust my dealer's service dept (open road honda, edison, NJ)

Old 04-13-2011, 04:39 PM
I had Honda fix the seat height adjustment in my Element. There was a TSB out on it, and when I scheduled the appointment online, I specifically referenced both the TSB and the part # required to fix it. When I showed at the appointment, they looked at the seat and said "We just looked it up and there's a TSB on it. Well have to order parts." (facepalm!). Of course, Toyota managed to take 1.5 hrs to install my stereo in the tC, yet forgot to connect the iPod/USB connection. I pulled the stereo and fixed it in 10 minutes.

My best service experience was with GMC. Friendly, helpful, fast... I just disliked having to use them so often! I really liked my Sonoma - incredibly comfortable, good ergonomics, easy on gas (for a truck), though it was unbelievably slow (120 hp hauling 3100 lbs of steel around - think Gen1 CR-v). Too bad it was put together with elmers glue and twist ties!!!

Old 04-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Mine is actually DEAD ON. Though, my car is brand new.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:34 PM
sws
2011 Fit base MT has been within 2 - 3 tenths of calculated. Only 15 tankfulls but 3 times the gauge read 3 tenths lower than actual and the rest 2 or 3 tenths higher. Seems well within the variables of the pump and tilt of the fueling pad.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:15 PM
I've let this go for a long time, figuring that when the time came for me to actually NEED to take the car to the dealer for something, I'd have them do the reflash for the mileage meter as well. I had NO idea, nor would I have ever thought, that this is something that's only covered under the 3/36 warranty.

So I scheduled my car for the LMS recall, which will be the first time it's seen the dealership since its purchase in July of 2009. I also asked them to plan to do the TSB 09-086 MPG Calc Fix, but I'm glad I read the actual TSB, which stated that it's only covered under warranty. That kind of blows my mind, honestly - for something that is recognized to be an issue, is completely independent of the mileage on the car, and just involves a simple reflash - for them not to cover it because I have more than 36k miles on the car makes NO sense to me. My dealership would have charged me an hour of labor to perform the flash.

Yeah, no thanks. I'll live with it.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:22 PM
E B
i thought it's always off!

Old 04-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by mynameisphunk
I also asked them to plan to do the TSB 09-086 MPG Calc Fix, but I'm glad I read the actual TSB, which stated that it's only covered under warranty.
Actually that TSB states that service can be covered out of warranty. Below is actual text from TSB, show this to them. If your dealer is not helping you it is probably because of them not Honda. Try another dealer if necessary.

"Out of warranty: Any repair performed after warranty
expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by
the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone
Office. You must request consideration, and get a
decision, before starting work"

Old 04-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
Actually that TSB states that service can be covered out of warranty. Below is actual text from TSB, show this to them. If your dealer is not helping you it is probably because of them not Honda. Try another dealer if necessary.

"Out of warranty: Any repair performed after warranty
expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by
the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone
Office. You must request consideration, and get a
decision, before starting work"
I did see that, and mentioned that, since I was looking at the same TSB he was. I have 67k miles - he said being that far over it will "automatically be rejected".

Old 04-18-2011, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
Any reputable Honda would flash it for you, for free. If they are not doing it, ask how much $$$.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:04 PM
on my 2010 it said 40.1 mpg when I filled up an hour ago...the math came to 39.0....fill-up before that it said 38.5 and it was 39.3.....I can live with those numbers!

Old 04-19-2011, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
I did see that, and mentioned that, since I was looking at the same TSB he was. I have 67k miles - he said being that far over it will "automatically be rejected".
Agree with the above, try to find another honda dealer who is looking forward to making a long-term future customer rather than short term profits.

Search yelp to just get an idea of which dealer might be more pro-customer service . Most likely all of the dealers will rank poorly, but perhaps there will be a diamond in the rough, or you can at least pick the best of the worst.

Maybe they will do it for just a token fee, rather than a full hour of labor.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:24 AM
its weird that everyone is saying their mpg indicator is off in the wrong direction. im on my third tank and so far iv noticed it is showing that i am getting about .5-1.0 mpg less than i actually calculate. last tank indicated 35.3 and actual was 36.0

Old 04-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by raytseng
Agree with the above, try to find another honda dealer who is looking forward to making a long-term future customer rather than short term profits.

Search yelp to just get an idea of which dealer might be more pro-customer service . Most likely all of the dealers will rank poorly, but perhaps there will be a diamond in the rough, or you can at least pick the best of the worst.

Maybe they will do it for just a token fee, rather than a full hour of labor.
I'll honestly probably just live with it. This is the first time in 67k miles that anybody but myself has turned a wrench on my Fit, and consequently the first time it has been to a dealer. It will probably take another recall to get me to go back again. It's one of those "would have been nice to have fixed" things that really isn't a huge deal to me.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by fitisno
its weird that everyone is saying their mpg indicator is off in the wrong direction. im on my third tank and so far iv noticed it is showing that i am getting about .5-1.0 mpg less than i actually calculate. last tank indicated 35.3 and actual was 36.0
What year is your car? TSB is applicable only for 2009 model. If yours is an '09 then probably your software has been updated already.

_

Old 04-20-2011, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
You think you guys with the bad readings have it bad?

My fiance's 2011 Honda Fit Automatic says 22.8mpg on the reader after almost using the whole tank of gas. Can you believe that?

Also, when driving with a lite foot, meaning not passing 2500K rev, the car's 0-40 live reading that we have on our display shows the lines between 0 and 20. WTF is up with that.

On my Fit on the other hand, I drive it pretty hard everyday and I have roughly 32-36 readings, which is more on the normal for a Fit side.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by SickFit

My fiance's 2011 Honda Fit Automatic says 22.8mpg on the reader after almost using the whole tank of gas. Can you believe that?

Also, when driving with a lite foot, meaning not passing 2500K rev, the car's 0-40 live reading that we have on our display shows the lines between 0 and 20. WTF is up with that.

On my Fit on the other hand, I drive it pretty hard everyday and I have roughly 32-36 readings, which is more on the normal for a Fit side.
My MT Fit consistantly got worse mpg under 2,500rpm since you need to put your foot more into the gas pedal to maintain speed. It can be borderline lugging the little engine near 2,000rpm and not fuel efficient doing so. Of course if you can maintain your speed without increasing gas pedal then the lower the rpm the better for higher mpg. Did that make sense? i.e. going up a long steep hill on freeway, 5th gear with pedal to the floor might be 55mph, but pulling that same hill in 4th gear with pedal not to the floor can maintain same 55mph thereby using less gas.

_

Old 04-20-2011, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SickFit

Is this with her driving or you? Switch cars for a couple hundred miles in the same manner which you've gotten 32mpg, to see if it's the car or the driver. There maybe a factor of driver's technique that you aren't aware of. Perhaps something along the lines of if she happens to rest her foot on the brakes when not accelerating. With MPG that bad, and gas prices high, you definitely have nothing to lose to try tracking down the issue

Old 04-21-2011, 09:22 AM
I'll honestly probably just live with it. This is the first time in 67k miles that anybody but myself has turned a wrench on my Fit, and consequently the first time it has been to a dealer. It will probably take another recall to get me to go back again. It's one of those "would have been nice to have fixed" things that really isn't a huge deal to me.
Why settle with something not right? Honda wouldn't have put "goodwill warranty" consideration on TSB if they were not willing to cover most claims. Your dealer is being lazy and doesn't want to bother with you or your car. Like I posted earlier, find yourself a better dealer.

Took my '09 in for LMS recall yesterday and my dealer did MPG computer TSB at same time. Also torn passenger seat map pocket TSB was approved and done. I am even second owner, only had car for five weeks now. My car is out of warranty already same as yours. It was also my cars first time ever to dealer (per first owner and verified by CarFax) same as you so easy to explain to them why you didn't have TSB done previously.

_

Quick Reply: MPG indicator