2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

MPG indicator

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 11:59 PM
My 2 cents... I'm pretty stoked. Bought 2010 2 weeks ago, drove it around town for 500 miles and then loaded my wife and 3 little kids and gear for 10 days for a trip to Los Angeles from Park City, UT. Avg speed was apprx. 69 mph. Computer shows 39 mpg. Actual 41.5 mpg. I'm shocked.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:54 AM
Cap
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eddie777
So have any Canadians successfully gotten their dealer to apply this SB? I just did my latest calc: 2253 kms on 191 l = 8.5 l/100km. Gauge = 7.4. Difference = -13%. This is pretty consistent with what I've had all year.

I called my dealer who said they didn't any info on this and told me to call Honda Canada. I called them and they told me I would have to talk to my dealer. (Incidentally, I've called Honda Canada 3 times since I bought my Fit and they're basically useless - their response every time no matter what the question or issue is "you'll have to contact your dealer").

So I emailed the SB to my dealer and am waiting to hear back from them. They seem willing to look into it but I'm sure it would be helpful if they got some info from corporate.

So any success from fellow Cauncks?
when i bought my fit in december i walked into the dealership with that service notice printed out in my hand. they had never seen it or heard of it. it wasn't a big deal so i let it go. so in answer to your question, as of christmas, in BC, they had not heard of it.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:56 AM
Cap
5 Year Member
Great news! I emailed a 2nd dealer (never did hear back from the 1st one) and this was their response:

Honda Canada just released a ECM update for "Information Display Shows a Lower Fuel consumption Than Actual". Happy to perform this update for you any time, just give us a call and we can set up an appointment.

Glad to see Honda Canada finally got their act together 1.5 months after Honda America. And kudos to dealer #2 (which unfortunately is much farther away from me than dealer #1).

lol, it seems like we're always trailing behind our southern cousins on those issues and we pay more for our cars and our gas.

Last edited by Cap; 01-16-2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Cap
when i bought my fit in december i walked into the dealership with that service notice printed out in my hand. they had never seen it or heard of it. it wasn't a big deal so i let it go. so in answer to your question, as of christmas, in BC, they had not heard of it.
Hey Cap, I'm not surprised. You say it wasn't a big deal so you let it go. I agree. It's just an inaccurate fuel monitor. Hardly a thing to go to war over. But here's my take:

In my case, the 1st dealer didn't even acknowledge my email while the 2nd dealer looked into it and got back to me right away. So on a very minor fix, I found out how different the two service depts' customer service were. So when I need to bring my precious Fit in for more important fixes and maintenance, I now know where I want to go. So pursuing this was useful for me from that perspective.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Cap
5 Year Member
Hey Cap, I'm not surprised. You say it wasn't a big deal so you let it go. I agree. It's just an inaccurate fuel monitor. Hardly a thing to go to war over. But here's my take:

In my case, the 1st dealer didn't even acknowledge my email while the 2nd dealer looked into it and got back to me right away. So on a very minor fix, I found out how different the two service depts' customer service were. So when I need to bring my precious Fit in for more important fixes and maintenance, I now know where I want to go. So pursuing this was useful for me from that perspective.
good point. and now that i know the service notice has made its way up to canada, i'll be sure that they do it for me when i have my car in for service (which hopefully won't be for a very long time).

Old 01-29-2010, 09:14 AM
5 Year Member
Well I guess I can no longer dub it the BSM. Honda finally came thru with a patch! I'll give em credit for that!

I did mine in December. MPG corrections went from 112% to 101%! Which equates to about .5 mpg variance from accurate!

Still on the positive side But ya can't argue the fact they are CLOSE! Cudo's to Honda for coming thru!

Now Give us our TRIP computer back in the NAV System!!!

Old 01-30-2010, 10:49 PM
Unfortunately, Honda dealers are not a whole lot different from other manufacturer's dealers. Some good, and some, fortunately a small some, should have their dealerships revoked. I've seen both from Honda, and when they are good, they are real good.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Smile

Finally did my first fill after the TSB update and the gauge is . . . dead-on.

Here are the numbers: 368 kms, 30.85 litres = 8.38 l/100km
Gauge reading: 8.4 l/100km

Note that the gauge dropped to 8.3 right before I hit the gas station so I counted it as 8.4. I'm guessing the result is truncated so 8.3 could mean anything from 8.30 to 8.39. So when it dropped to 8.3 I figured it was probably at 8.39 so I rounded it back up to 8.4. So any error within about 1% can be attributed to the lack of precision of the gauge display, not the gauge itself.

So I'm happy. Thanks Honda for fixing this and thanks to my dealer for addressing this!

Old 02-13-2010, 06:44 PM
First fill-up today after running through a whole tank since the MPG meter reset. Meter showed 23.3..................actual MPG 23. Pretty much dead-on after allowing for fill variables.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 55Fit55
First fill-up today after running through a whole tank since the MPG meter reset. Meter showed 23.3..................actual MPG 23. Pretty much dead-on after allowing for fill variables.
How does one achieve 23 mpg? 12 hours of idling? I apply the punishment to my fit and still get 31 actual. Us it bad stop and go where you are?

Old 02-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Yeah, I can't fathom how that much gas could go through a Fit.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:57 PM
My 8.4 l/100km is about 28 mpg. That's really good for winter here. I had one tank last winter that was close to 11 l/100 km or 21 mpg. Believe it.

If your week is -30 C (-22 F) then you'll have lots of warm-up time and inefficient cold engine run times, greater rolling resistance on snow and ice, and I believe, less efficient winter gas in your tank. That tank was also all city with lots of stop-and-go rush hour traffic. So it really was the worst of conditions.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by citabria7
I noted to him that the indicator on my Pontiac is dead on. His response: "Yeah, well it's not a Pontiac." Sorry response from a Honda dealer. Hondas should be better than a Pontiac.
Well, I don't know about the Honda supposedly being better than a Pontiac, or any other late model GM vehicle for that matter. Frankly, from personal experience, they're not! But your dealer's response is absolute BS!

I have to be honest... since my search and resulting decision to purchase a Fit, I have met some of the most helpful, enthusiastic, caring car salesmen and dealers in the industry... only to a certain extent, in the absolute laziest of examples, I assure you. And even at that, only until they make the sale. After that, it's a near complete "Screw you" attitude!

"I'm glad you bought it, I got my commission, now get out of my face... I no longer have time for you!"

Like I said in other posts, I'm excited about Fit ownership. But I think Honda, compared to other manufacturers and dealerships, suck, hands down! Sorry, this is my experience thus far with everything Honda.

I go to my GM dealership and they treat me almost like royalty. I go to my new Honda dealership and they're either completely indifferent, lazy, rude, or all of the above. This attitude persists with 3 different Honda dealers since my initial interest in a GE.

Such a shame. From what I'm reading even Honda themselves could give a flying crap what their customers think. I've got news for Honda... even their designs -- with the exception of the Fit -- have become lackluster and yes, even boring as h3ll as far as I'm concerned. If it weren't for the '09/'10 Honda Fit Sport, I would be snubbing my nose at Honda. And really, the Fit, with all of it's delights, has it's drawbacks at the same time.

To be fair, no car is without it's drawbacks. Yet, a company such as Honda should really take a good look at itself. It could very well find itself in the position GM found itself in a couple of years back (and still trying to pull out of it) if they don't do some self-diagnoses all the way around.

No company can completely depend on past reputation in order to continue success.

Sorry Honda fanatics... it's my opinion.

Last edited by annunC8; 02-13-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
How does one achieve 23 mpg? 12 hours of idling? I apply the punishment to my fit and still get 31 actual. Us it bad stop and go where you are?
It never gets out on the highway, a two-mile commute to work, with lots of stop signs/traffic signals & a lot of short errand running trips.

It's kinda pissin' me off though................I could have bought something a lot bigger and came close to these MPG's. I keep justifying it to myself by hoping it's the winter gas blend around here.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by citabria7
Unfortunately, Honda dealers are not a whole lot different from other manufacturer's dealers. Some good, and some, fortunately a small some, should have their dealerships revoked. I've seen both from Honda, and when they are good, they are real good.
Despite annunC8's experiences, I think you have nailed it. The Fit is my first Honda since 1990, and I was pleasantly surprised with the sales experience at Martin Honda in Newark, DE, and very pleased with the service experience at Curry Honda in Atlanta. I had not bought the car from them, I came in with a printed TSB (mileage meter) for a problem they were not yet aware of, and the service manager said, "No problem, when do you want to bring it in?" I had a great service experience, including a well appointed customer waiting area with open WiFi, a guest computer, and plenty of comfortable furniture. Even though I like to as much of my own maintenance as possible, I have no reservations about bringing the Fit back to Curry Honda for its first oil change, or for any maintenance that I don't feel comfortable with doing myself, such as valve adjustments.

When we started shopping for a car in the fall of 2008, I was much less impressed with a Toyota dealership, where the sales staff seemed bored and unmotivated. Mazda was OK. We had already narrowed our choices to Fit, Mazda3, and Matrix, so we didn't visit any other dealerships. However, given the state of GM (and to a lesser degree, Ford), they should be doing quite a bit of sucking up to customers, existing or potential. And, Toyota has given them a great opportunity.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
hey guys i recently bought a honda fit sport blue sensation ... i found out that the gauge meter will go down even if your at a red light.. i think its just their to help calculate the usage of how hard you press the accelerator ..its not going to be accurate all the time .. if the car is idle it will still use gas and it will show in the meter

Old 02-15-2010, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ll BiG eRiC ll
hey guys i recently bought a honda fit sport blue sensation ... i found out that the gauge meter will go down even if your at a red light.. i think its just their to help calculate the usage of how hard you press the accelerator ..its not going to be accurate all the time .. if the car is idle it will still use gas and it will show in the meter
you're thinking of the realtime mpg gauge. The gauge in question is the one that calculates the avg mpg. Welcome to the forum.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:30 AM
25.8 mpg

Hi there guys! First post here but I've been reading through this forum. I need advice concerning my new 2010 Fit!

Right now, according to my MPG idicator, I'm only getting 25.8 MPG average. I did the math manually with three tanks and the average came out to around 26.6. I have only have 3000 miles on the car right now, but I've talked to co-workers who also bought a new fit recently and they're getting upwards of 33mpg. I consider myself an assertive driver, never going 10miles over the limit when I don't have to. And I drive 14 miles (round trip) to work all along the freeway every day.

I took my vehicle into the service department and we inspected the filters and there was no blockage. Can someone please give me some advice about what to do? I know they said the car should settle in with 7000 miles on it, but in order for me to get 31 MPG average, I'd have to magically start getting around 40 MPG constantly until 7000 miles at this rate.

Thanks for the help guys, good to meet you all.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
Co-worker could be lying.

I question your math. Three tanks is not enough to get an accurate reading.

I would keep track of how much you put in for the first 10 fill-ups making sure it is full on the last one. Then do your math. It should be much better.

Also the mpg gauge is off. If anything it reads a way to high.

I get about 41mpg - Cdn gallon with most of my driving freeway at 120 kph.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by disback
Hi there guys! First post here but I've been reading through this forum. I need advice concerning my new 2010 Fit!

Right now, according to my MPG idicator, I'm only getting 25.8 MPG average. I did the math manually with three tanks and the average came out to around 26.6. I have only have 3000 miles on the car right now, but I've talked to co-workers who also bought a new fit recently and they're getting upwards of 33mpg. I consider myself an assertive driver, never going 10miles over the limit when I don't have to. And I drive 14 miles (round trip) to work all along the freeway every day.

I took my vehicle into the service department and we inspected the filters and there was no blockage. Can someone please give me some advice about what to do? I know they said the car should settle in with 7000 miles on it, but in order for me to get 31 MPG average, I'd have to magically start getting around 40 MPG constantly until 7000 miles at this rate.

Thanks for the help guys, good to meet you all.
I think 3 tanks would give you a good average. (10 would be better, but I wouldn't think much.)

Reset the mpg computer (select trip miles and hold a few seconds to zero this out, it also resets the mpg calculation: it should display just dashes before driving any distance).

Take a ride at freeway speeds. 30 Miles should be enough. Check the mpg computer. I bet it will be in the 30s.

There were software problems where the mpg computer was reading constantly high, but this was resolved before the 2010s came out. Your manual calculation indicates the computer is doing its job.

After updating the software (ECM flash) on my 09 the computer is within 1mpg consistently with manual calculations.

I did notice an increase in mpg around 3,000 miles when it went from 32mpg to 34mpg week to week over the same driving patterns. Seemed to have more power too. Many people notice it improves as the car gradually is broken-in over the first 10,000 miles.

I think you're driving more city miles than you realize.

Quick Reply: MPG indicator