2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Almost got hit...thanks wimpy horn!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by justintime
THis is hillarious, OP made me laugh...

I made the Accord horn upgrade on day #3 of owning the car. I mean, the first time I heard my 'meep meep' I though NO F'ING WAY!!!!!!

Word of caution: Order it from collgehills, because they will include a set of clips that you will INEVITABLY break when you remove one of the covers. It is impossible to remove the cover without breaking those clips, hence they are being included for you. Other places will NOT include the clips, and I have no clue what part numbers those clips are!
You can avoid damaging the clips by unclipping the bottom part of the plastic housing indicated below:
Name:  L1060181-1.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  101.5 KB
With that unclipped you can access the bolt with an open faced wrench easily.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Good tip!

Still waiting for my Accord horn to come in.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:39 PM
put your Accord horn on backwards

I put an Accord horn the Fit, but there was just barely enough slack in the wiring harness to get it plugged in and it was just too tight for my comfort level, so I put in on backwards, It was up agaisnt the AC condensor so I put the horn in my bench vice and gave it a tweak and got about a 30 degree bend in the mounting bracket. You could also get a longer bolt with a nut on it and use that for a spacer to get the horn back from the condensor a bit also. However last night I bumped the panic buton on the key to my wife's 2002 Altima.. HOLY HELL.. now that baby has a HORN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im going to investigate that unit even if I have to splice a wire to make it fit in the Fit

Old 08-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by cool1442
I put an Accord horn the Fit, but there was just barely enough slack in the wiring harness to get it plugged in and it was just too tight for my comfort level, so I put in on backwards, It was up agaisnt the AC condensor so I put the horn in my bench vice and gave it a tweak and got about a 30 degree bend in the mounting bracket. You could also get a longer bolt with a nut on it and use that for a spacer to get the horn back from the condensor a bit also. However last night I bumped the panic buton on the key to my wife's 2002 Altima.. HOLY HELL.. now that baby has a HORN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im going to investigate that unit even if I have to splice a wire to make it fit in the Fit
Great tip...I think the horn is supposed to come in today.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
Got my Accord low-tone horn from HondaPartsNow today and finished installing it about 10 minutes ago. The install went very easily.

I actually managed to get the clip holding the hood release cover in place without destroying it. This is what the clip looks like:

I was able to pry it out a little bit and then use a flathead screwdriver to push the barbs in so that it could slide out. For those that end up breaking them, the replacement part number is 91518-SM4-003.

I did a little re-routing of the horn cable under the airbag(?) sensor which seemed to help keep a little slack in the cable.

The horn bolted right in and it definitely adds some much needed presence. Now people might actually notice when we're honking!

Old 08-25-2009, 03:28 AM
Good pics...thanks!

Old 08-25-2009, 07:32 PM
I got the horn today from college honda-
here's the Heads Up!
the two clips were in the box, loose.
It would have been easy to miss them or toss them out.

(the horn was in bubble wrap)

Old 08-26-2009, 10:25 PM
New horns are in!!

Allright!!

Horns went in today...very easy with all the pics posted.

1st fit...I put it in backwards and bent the bracket to get some clearance from the radiator. Not enough slack on the wires. Piece of cake.

2nd fit....didn't need to turn in backwards.

WOW! Huge improvement! Sound is much improved!

Thanks to everyone for posting. Much appreciated. If you haven't done this yet, just do it. It is cheap, and easy to do.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:49 PM
Swapped out the horn a couple of days ago also-- ordered it from College Hills Honda. It was a little scary because you do have to tug on the wiring harness a bit but I got it installed and it's a vast improvement from the "meep. meep." horn!

Old 09-03-2009, 05:07 PM
i just did my horn upgrade today, got my parts from college hills honda. I cant believe honda would put such a wimpy horn on a car, the gd3 fits horn is not as wimpy as the ge8's.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
So it's this one right? College Hills Honda Accessory Catalog: Horn Upgrade

After two close calls and one that was so close I had to swerve off the road, I'm going for the Accord horn. Good thing my mom's daily driver is an 09 Accord so i could hear it. Crap those horns are loud!

Old 09-04-2009, 08:26 PM
yeah thats the right one

Old 09-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Take Two of Me & Don't Call in the Morning
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by handymus
So, driving my freshly tinted, 1 week old Fit on the freeway on the way home from picking it up at the tint place. I am in the far right lane, since my off ramp is coming up soon....Lexus next to me starts changing lanes, RIGHT INTO ME!!! I lay on the horn. MEEP! meep! WTF is that lame weak sauce sound coming from my car? That's IT??? The car keeps coming, I move right. The lady driving does not hear a thing, keeps on driving. Mind you...I am right next to her...even with her...looking right at her...she doesn't see or hear a thing. I slowed down and got behind her. She didn't have a clue, and still doesn't.

This horn has got to go. It sucks.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...rn-ge-fit.html

handymus

It's no better on the GD. I actually broke my steering wheel a little bit because I was punching the shit out of the horn button when someone was merging into me.

I know my car is going for that "stealth" look but this is rediculous.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm gen 1 came with a truch horn...

Old 09-04-2009, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
My 2nd Gen CR-V has the loudest horn I have ever owned. MUCH louder than the Accord mod horn I put on the Fit. Im thinking the Accord has 2 horns, and we're putting only one. Hence, lower volume. Someone else mentioned this earlier in the thread.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:34 AM
5 Year Member
can the CRV horn fit in place of the Fit's horn?

Old 09-05-2009, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
Not sure if it's a straight plug and play mod. Also, Im pretty sure I hear TWO horns on my CR-V-- the combo is likely what makes it loud. It really is insane... when it fires in my garage due to alarm (my mistake usually!) it is absolutely deafening.

Originally Posted by Red 05
can the CRV horn fit in place of the Fit's horn?

Old 09-05-2009, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
To everyone installing the Accord horn in 'reverse' or 'backwards' or whatever... if the horn's opening is exposed UP, then eventually you may get water accumulation in there, and bye-bye horn.

I had originally put it in reverse, and then decided not to because the opening was facing up. I decided to put it the right way, even if it was a little tight on the harness.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DrKelso
It's no better on the GD. I actually broke my steering wheel a little bit because I was punching the shit out of the horn button when someone was merging into me.

I know my car is going for that "stealth" look but this is rediculous.
ever since I started driving my Fit I've noticed a HUGE increase in cars cutting infront of me or trying to side-swipe me. I can't wait for the day that some moron swipes me and doesn't have insurance.....

Old 09-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Most all cars have 2 horns (low tone and high tone), but since they fire off at once, it sounds like one sound.