2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

09 Fit sport - my first incident

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 06:48 PM
09 Fit sport - my first incident

FLAT TIRE

On the drive home today, I was changing lanes when a rubber tie strap with a hook got me on the right rear tire and got me a flat - major freeway with lots of traffic and I had to stop on the median shoulder.

Couldn't really get out to change the spare due to how close it was to the fast lane. I called Honda Care and they dispatched a tow truck and I also called the police to let them know so they can send a trooper to at least to warn the traffic. The cops came and just had their lights on and asked how long is the wait for the tow. Everything went very well except for the wait - took about 35-45 min due to the traffic for the tow to get there - it was a scorcher too (93F hot and humid).

MPG

My current average of 44.5mpg on the gauge and actual was 41mpg. That went down due to me not moving when I needed the air conditioning to kick in at times. :-( Bummer! But I did manage to get 48.8mpg (gauge) by using some hypermiling tricks for the past 300 miles I've been driving these past couple of days. The highest I was able to coax out of it is about 52+ mpg for 60miles driving at 55mph. I'm impressed with the fuel efficiency so far (@904 miles).

MISSING PART

I did lose something with that flat tire incident (since it was a tie strap and it popped off that round panel in the back bumper). I'm missing that round cover panel on the back of the car. DOH! I need a replacement. Anyone know where I can get one already painted?

It was a bummer. The hook on the other part of that tie strap whipped the back part of the bumper and took that cover panel off and also scratched the paint a little. ARGH! I guess there goes my first scratch. The honeymoon is over.

TIRE REPLACEMENT

Tire - I drove to the local Tires Plus and the guy started scratching his head when he saw the size of the tire. He said it's an uncommon tire. They don't have any instock and it looks like even Dunlop warehouse doesn't have much available. He said earliest he could get it would be 6 days. Another DOH!

NEW RIMS

Now I'm thinking of just ordering the replacement rims and tires while I'm at it.
Hmmmmm. Have to fight the urge to do so right now.

Just wanted to share.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
I think you lost the cover for the tow hook. You can get it at your Honda dealership, and if they don't have it, you can try majestichonda/http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/. Its $5.89 and comes painted.

For the tire, did you try Discount Tires?

Last edited by Neebs; 08-13-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks Neebs. That was perfect! Ordering one now.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
An uncommonn tire size?? Is this really the case? I sure don't want to be faced with that when it comes to a flat tire!

Dan

Old 08-13-2009, 11:43 PM
Banned
if it was so hot why didn't you just wait in your car with the a/c on? a 1/2 hour in a Fit idling would not have done anything bad for your car or mpg

Old 08-13-2009, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
An uncommonn tire size?? Is this really the case? I sure don't want to be faced with that when it comes to a flat tire!
Dan
Dan - So far, I could only find 2 All seasons for that size.
Tr- Tirerack, DTD - discounttiredirect, DT-discountire, 1010-1010tires.com

All seasons
Dunlop SP Sport 7000 TR DTD
Bridgestone Turanza EL470 TR DT
Winter
Blizzak LM-25 Snow TR
Blizzak WS-60 Studless Ice and Snow TR 1010

It was just a comment made by the Tiresplus sales guy. It was interesting to hear though. He really did scratch his head too and I said I probably should have taken a pic of him doing it.

Originally Posted by Gbaby2089
if it was so hot why didn't you just wait in your car with the a/c on? a 1/2 hour in a Fit idling would not have done anything bad for your car or mpg
It was steamy. And I did turn the A/C on. :-) I had it off for a little bit with the windows down but when it was getting to hot, I turned it on.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member
1/2 hour in a Fit idling would not have done anything bad for your car or mpg
Just because you don't calculate it.....doesn't mean there's no cost. Idling is most inefficient. That's roughly (at $4/gal) 1.2cents/minute, $.76/hour, or 3.5 pounds of CO2 per hour.

How To Measure Idling Gas Consumption | How To Do Things.com

Old 08-14-2009, 04:53 AM
Banned
holy cow! $ .76 and hour!!!!!!!!!! omg it would have cost roughly $.40 wow i'm sure this is the reason why people are getting their cars repossessed and why we're in a recession because people are spending 40 cents to leave their cars running

Old 08-14-2009, 05:30 AM
5 Year Member
holy cow! $ .76 and hour!!!!!!!!!! omg it would have cost roughly $.40 wow i'm sure this is the reason why people are getting their cars repossessed and why we're in a recession because people are spending 40 cents to leave their cars running
HOLY jump to conclusions batman! Did you happen to make a valid point in there somewhere I missed?? Hope that was some type of joke. Anyway, back on topic: It's more than just the $.40 cents your loosing... it's the principal in your initial comment that was lacking depth. Wastefully burning a small amount of fossil fuels is certainly not the end of the world, but at least consider/acknowledge the reality of the impact on the environment; not "right it off" like it does not exist.

Last edited by reako; 08-14-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:52 AM
Gbaby2089 said that idling the car isn't bad for the car or your fuel economy.

He said nothing about the enviornment.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:54 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by jzerocsk
Gbaby2089 said that idling the car isn't bad for the car or your fuel economy.

He said nothing about the enviornment.
thank you good sir

Old 08-14-2009, 09:09 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rangefit
Dan - So far, I could only find 2 All seasons for that size.
Tr- Tirerack, DTD - discounttiredirect, DT-discountire, 1010-1010tires.com

All seasons
Dunlop SP Sport 7000 TR DTD
Bridgestone Turanza EL470 TR DT
Winter
Blizzak LM-25 Snow TR
Blizzak WS-60 Studless Ice and Snow TR 1010

It was just a comment made by the Tiresplus sales guy. It was interesting to hear though. He really did scratch his head too and I said I probably should have taken a pic of him doing it.

It was steamy. And I did turn the A/C on. :-) I had it off for a little bit with the windows down but when it was getting to hot, I turned it on.
Are the Base Model tires hard to find too?

Here are the specs for people who need a fast link:
2009 Honda Fit - Specifications - Official Honda Web site

Base model:
175 / 65 R15 84S

Sport model:
185 / 55 R16 83H

I haven't even THOUGHT about looking for tires. It being a new car with new tires. But it would be a very good idea for me to find out more about the tire availability, so that I KNOW who carries them.

And if they ARE hard to find, whether it's for the base or the sport, might not be a bad idea to contact local tire places and suggest they carry a few, just in case.

We shouldn't be having to replace the tires because of wear, but flat tires happen. The tires stores don't need to stock dozens, but if they could even keep ONE in stock all the time...

One way to do that is to find a local tire store that has a good reputation, and perhaps having all the local Fit people contact that ONE tire store. Like through the members on FitFreak. With kind of the promise that if one of us gets a flat, we will do our business with that one place.

It helps to get to know local shops. And to let them know what we need. They WANT to sell tires. And they WANT to only hold the items on hand that will sell fast. But what can you do about emergencies?

It could be very useful if the one store is part of a chain, or the owner has several tires stores. So that ONE hard to find tire is in stock at ONE of the owner's locations. That cuts back on their having to store something. But would allow us to have access to that tire when we need. And that owner could immediately order another one, to keep on hand for emergencies.

We can always ask them if they would do it. The worst they can say is "No". And maybe we can create a list of places that will agree to carry the special size, perhaps putting the list in the area specific groups.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
bottom line, time to order a set of 205/50's or 195/50's you'll almost get an entire set cheaper than one OEM Dunlop.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:01 AM
Banned
^x2.....................

Old 08-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by BakedCookies
bottom line, time to order a set of 205/50's or 195/50's you'll almost get an entire set cheaper than one OEM Dunlop.
Yep, more choices at better prices.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BakedCookies
Aw, mannnnn! But I'm in a dinky studio apartment. What do I do with a stack of four tires, disguise them as a decorator accent table?

<<<---tires underneath tablecloth

Old 08-14-2009, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
Good advice. And frankly, I find it nuts that anyone even focused on the the air conditioner running, the gas usage, or environmental issues of such within this topic. It's ridiculous! The story of this thread is THE TIRES! Forums never cease to amaze.

Dan

Old 08-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Forget the environment. The Fit puts out almost no emissions anyway. If it's that hot..the A/C is running..whether the Polar Bears like it or not.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
I did check with my local dealer, today, to see if they carry the tires:
New and Used Honda Dealers for San Francisco & the Bay Area | Honda of Serramonte in Colma

Yes, they have both the Bridgestone and the Dunlop in the Base and the Sport sizes.

I didn't ask the price. I don't know how many. But they have them.

Also, there is a brochure I picked up about tires.

Honda Authorized Tires Purchased at Your Honda Dealership Come With 12 Months of Road Hazard Coverage.

Yes, there are exclusions (like no off-roading...LOL) and a lot more small print. But it can repair or replace the tire(s) you buy from them. It's no extra charge thing, it's just part of the dealership benefit.

Check your local dealership to see if they have them, before you need them. Just in case.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
I did check with my local dealer, today, to see if they carry the tires:
New and Used Honda Dealers for San Francisco & the Bay Area | Honda of Serramonte in Colma
Serramonte? LOL! I was just there this weekend visiting family. Well, actually just drove by Serramonte. I stayed by Rockaway beach in Pacifica.

Quick Reply: 09 Fit sport - my first incident