2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

From '07 Accord To '09 Fit Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:19 AM
From '07 Accord To '09 Fit Sport

So I just drove over to Omaha yesterday to drop off a fully loaded '07 Accord EX-L V6 that I had leased for the last three years and I picked up and purchased my new '09 Fit Sport Auto in Blue Sensation Pearl.

First I'd like to thank everyone on this board who has posted information that ultimately helped solidify my decision to purchase the new Fit. This forum has been a great help and aid alongside general reviews that can be found on the net. I just became an official forum member a few minutes ago.

I live in the Des Moines area and it's been hard to find the specific model/color I wanted. The local Honda dealers were not able to get this blue color and keep it long enough for some reason. Plus, one dealer kinda jerked me around. So, off to Omaha I went. Superior Honda is a great dealership BTW.

I looked at different cars for about the last six months. Subaru Impreza 5dr, Suzuki SX4 crossover, Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla and Yaris, the list goes on and on. But ultimately what it came down to was the fact that I had gotten the 250hp V6 bug out of my system with leasing the Accord for the last three years. I wanted the efficiency, reliability, utility, and overall practicality that comes with owning a Honda but was so sold on the Fit. (plus it really fit in the budget)

Researching the Fit in depth and reading on this forum, I mentally prepared myself for a few shortcomings such as a rougher and louder ride, with less comfort as compared to the Accord which treated me so well BTW. Also, I read that the audio system was a bit of a downer for some people, and that is something that is important to me.

After having my final moments with the Accord on the drive over, I said goodbye and stepped in to the Fit and drove back home. My dad drove with me BTW and immediately as we got back on the interstate all my fears had melted away. The drive was comfortable all around and I have noticed that the lumbar support has been great for my lower back, as when I drove the Accord for longer distances, I could really feel the lower back pain.

My dad is in the car business and he is just as critical as I am with nitpicky stuff, and him and I both agree that the road noise is absolutely nothing to be concerned about, especially compared to just getting out of the fully loaded Accord. Now granted, the Accord is not a "luxury" vehicle by any means, but the darn thing had a $28k sticker price when it was new. So I guess what I'm saying is that considering the $17.5k sticker price, the Fit is totally impressing me and I look forward to owning it for a very long time.

I may end up installing the All Season floor mats, but that may be about it really. I have thought about upgrading the speakers in the car, but everything is sounding pretty good to my ears, and I would consider myself a person who has a good ear for audio. Let's put it this way: I would expect a worse stock system from a car this price.

So as I mentioned earlier, I want to thank everyone in this forum for the various posts and topics, as that was a great source of info over the past few weeks.

Cheers!

Old 08-11-2009, 12:53 PM
What were your thoughts on your accord? I had the same vehicle, with the 6MT, and it was built like an 80s chrysler. Tranny was notchy, took them 2 tears downs (both recalls) to get it right. Brakes warped after 16k, and 32k. Then I dumped it.

Actually, I am surprised I went back to Honda so quick.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:34 PM
The Accord was truly an amazing car for me. It was solid through and through. In the three years that I had it, I never had one problem. I never had to replace the tires or brakes. The whole lease I only had regular oil changes and rotations.

I will miss the car though. No doubt about it. I was told by the dealership that I left it at that it will be going in a Kansas City auction. So whoever gets it will be getting a great solid car.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Mine must have been built on either a Monday or a Friday. I put 16k miles on the car in 6 months, and the rotors warped. They did a goodwill resruface of hte rotors, replacement of pads, since i was out of warranty (12mos/12k mi) for the wearable parts. Thinking the problem was with the rotors themselves, I asked what would be done when this happened again at 32k. I was told 'We'll deal with that if it happens.' Well, 6 mo later, it did. I was told to pound sand, sorry, not our problem.

I sold it 4 weeks later and bought an 02 M3. I figure if I am going to piddle around with a car, it wasnt going to be a Honda. I didnt even mention the wiggling outside mirrors, grinding rear window regulators....eh.

Here's to hoping that the fit is much better!

Old 08-11-2009, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
Coming from BMW's, of course your gonna notice every little thing in a Honda.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:38 PM
eh, yes and no. I am certainly attune to the vehicle, but there are standards that any new car should meet, be it from tokyo, marysville, or munich. Warping brake rotors, followed by the dealer not really giving a crap, did not meet my expectations, along with all the other issues. Actually, I wouldnt be surprised if those issues did occur on a BMW. But you dont buy a BMW for its ultimate reliability. That's what you buy a Honda for.

prior to my first bmw, i drove a 94 accord for 10 yrs, sold it with 231k on it. it needed less work in a decade than my 07 did in 14 months. brakes on that car lasted 90k miles.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
congrats jcs!

Old 08-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by smaglik
eh, yes and no. I am certainly attune to the vehicle, but there are standards that any new car should meet, be it from tokyo, marysville, or munich. Warping brake rotors, followed by the dealer not really giving a crap, did not meet my expectations, along with all the other issues. Actually, I wouldnt be surprised if those issues did occur on a BMW. But you dont buy a BMW for its ultimate reliability. That's what you buy a Honda for.

prior to my first bmw, i drove a 94 accord for 10 yrs, sold it with 231k on it. it needed less work in a decade than my 07 did in 14 months. brakes on that car lasted 90k miles.
sounds to me you drive like I do. I am hard on brakes. I had my Acura CL-S and warped the rotors in that thing many times in 5 years. Even with slotted rotors and ebc green stuff pads. Honda's single piston caliper design on 3500+lbs cars might be ok for the average driver but for spirited drives like I do they don't cut it.
Never had a problem in my 95 Integra though.
The Fit seems ok so far..but def. needs to have some stronger brakes. Upgrading as soon as these wear out.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by smaglik

Good point, Honda's are reliable for sure but my last Honda was anything but reliable. The last owner must of beat the shit out of it. If you name a random repair right now, I bet you I did it.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
I'm in DSM, and I think I bought your blue fit last week! Honk if you see me!