2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

09 honda fit or 07 honda civic si

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 02:48 AM
we will see tomorrow!!! but i do like yes, i vtech's thinking tho!

Old 08-11-2009, 02:59 AM
5 Year Member
if HP is the goal, the si satisfies. pay attention to the build quality. mine (and everyone else's) had interior (roof, dash, etc) rattles/buzzes. you do know they have a service bulletin out on the transmission, don't you? rear wheel bearing recall/inspection. the brake bias was waaay off and I would consistently lock/activate the ABS in the front wheels when I pushed the car. I have had no such ABS activation in any of my other cars over the same roads, driven just as hard, if not harder. when pushed hard, the car doesn't feel cohesive and gets a light airy feeling about it. also, get a rear sway bar to overcome the front end heaviness in turns. the car is fast... perhaps too fast for the other systems it seems to overcome. hope it comes with some sort of warranty.

give me a Honda built in japan any day (si's are built in Canada). I had an 07 FIT prior to the 09 and it was one of the highest quality cars I have ever owned, though dash rattles were it's downfall, too.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:03 AM
Originally Posted by kkim
if HP is the goal, the si satisfies. pay attention to the build quality. mine (and everyone else's) had interior (roof, dash, etc) rattles/buzzes. you do know they have a service bulletin out on the transmission, don't you? rear wheel bearing recall/inspection. the brake bias was waaay off and I would consistently lock/activate the ABS in the front wheels when I pushed the car. I have had no such ABS activation in any of my other cars over the same roads, driven just as hard, if not harder. when pushed hard, the car doesn't feel cohesive and gets a light airy feeling about it. also, get a rear sway bar to overcome the front end heaviness in turns. the car is fast... perhaps too fast for the other systems it seems to overcome. hope it comes with some sort of warranty.

give me a Honda built in japan any day (si's are built in Canada). I had an 07 FIT prior to the 09 and it was one of the highest quality cars I have ever owned, though dash rattles were it's downfall, too.
i didnt know all of this, but how do you like your fit over the si??? i like the fit alot and im pretty sure im about to get one tomorrow but still how do you like your fit over the si?

Old 08-11-2009, 03:26 AM
5 Year Member
I'm an older guy, so I've had my fill of fast, high HP cars. I wanted a quality, 4 dr people mover and the FIT does that plus has a bit of sporting quality to it to keep me satisfied when I have the urge to push the car. Is it the same as the SI??? no, not from a performance standpoint, but the FIT is a much more well rounded, do it all vehicle that I can live with on a daily basis. The SI was that pretty model you date for awhile and get bored with after the novelty wears off. You do know the SI uses premium fuel?

The FIT is like the girl you finally end up marrying after you're done playing around. I love the 09 FIT (2k miles) and I loved the 07 FIT (32k miles) that I just sold last week, too.

Like I said earlier, it depends on what you're looking for in a car right now.

GL.. they are both excellent cars, btw... being Hondas.

Last edited by kkim; 08-11-2009 at 03:33 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
i find it weird how a honda dealership will not certify a 2 year old car. that poses a red light for me automatically. they have to find it not worthy of certifying.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member
I'd go for the Fit.

1) I wouldn't buy an Si used
2) It gets much less mpg
3) You have to buy premium gas for it
4) You can't fit a ton of shit in it
5) It's more likely to get stolen, or shit stolen off of it if you mod it
6) Anytime I pass someone in any 8th gen civic on the highway at night, I can tell EXACTLY how fast they are going because of that big honking speedometer
7) The sedan is fugly

Old 08-12-2009, 03:57 AM
Banned
^dude the sedan is SECKS!

Old 08-12-2009, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gbaby2089
^dude the sedan is SECKS!
ahh that reminds me... something you can do in the back of the Fit better than in the back of the civic!

dude the Fit is a no brainer, especially when gas prices shoot up again

Old 08-12-2009, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kkim
The FIT is like the girl you finally end up marrying after you're done playing around.
Great quote!

Old 08-12-2009, 01:27 PM
While the Si is certainly faster than the Fit, depending on how you're gonna drive it, it may not be as much faster as the nearly double horsepower would suggest.

The Si's torque peak of 139 lb-ft is at 6100 RPM in a 2900 pound car. The Fit's torque peak of 106 lb-ft is at 4800 in a 2500 pound car. The torque difference is only about 10% on a lb (of vehicle weight) / lb-ft (of torque) basis.

So if you're gonna rev the Si such that you get the extra power, it'll smoke the Fit, especially at higher speeds. If you nail the throttle in 4th or 5th gear while cruising at 2000 RPM, they're both pretty slow. Similarly, bog the Si away from a stop light next to a well-launched Fit and you'll be playing catch-up. And in the grand scheme of things, most new automatic V6 family sedans will pace or walk away from an Si in a drag race. Now handling is a different story.

I know I'd choose the Fit, in part because, as Chris Rock put it, "You don't wanna be that old guy at the club. You know, he's not OLD, just a liiiitle too old to be at the club." I have no desire to be a late 30's Fast a Furious poser.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
I keep on dreaming about driving a Si... I think it's a sign!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-18-2009, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by txmatt
While the Si is certainly faster than the Fit, depending on how you're gonna drive it, it may not be as much faster as the nearly double horsepower would suggest.

The Si's torque peak of 139 lb-ft is at 6100 RPM in a 2900 pound car. The Fit's torque peak of 106 lb-ft is at 4800 in a 2500 pound car. The torque difference is only about 10% on a lb (of vehicle weight) / lb-ft (of torque) basis.

So if you're gonna rev the Si such that you get the extra power, it'll smoke the Fit, especially at higher speeds. If you nail the throttle in 4th or 5th gear while cruising at 2000 RPM, they're both pretty slow. Similarly, bog the Si away from a stop light next to a well-launched Fit and you'll be playing catch-up. And in the grand scheme of things, most new automatic V6 family sedans will pace or walk away from an Si in a drag race. Now handling is a different story.

I know I'd choose the Fit, in part because, as Chris Rock put it, "You don't wanna be that old guy at the club. You know, he's not OLD, just a liiiitle too old to be at the club." I have no desire to be a late 30's Fast a Furious poser.
haha excellent post txmatt!

Old 08-18-2009, 05:00 AM
5 Year Member
get the si

EDIT: Cross that. get s2k

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 08-18-2009 at 05:02 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:06 AM
I disagree. I think you should get what you like.

I have another post talking about why I am thinking about trading my 2009 Si Sedan in for a Fit...

I got the Si and was all excited (traded an 08 Civic Ex 5-spd). It was quick, handled well and I had thoughts of grandeur, supercharger, taking it on the weekends to the drag strip, auto-x, etc... Since I have had it, I have done that exactly NONE of those things. And being realistically, I may go to an event twice(?) in a year... So the awe of having an Si has definitely worn off.

But I DO drive it to work. In traffic. And Drive it on the interstate. At legal speeds, Everyday. And while the Si is fine for this, its rather... boring.
Matter of fact, the ONLY times that I drive the car into VTEC is when entering the interstate on an on-ramp. If I do it around town, i look like some Paul Walker wannabe, revving past 6k between gear changes.

Some things that I like about the Fit over the Si:

Versatility (in my 07 Fit, my girlfriend and I carried a COUCH home from Ikea, hatch closed! -Impressive)
No one 'expects' you to be fast; if you are, its a surprise
You can drive the Fit to it's fullest extint if you get a itch to do so... try that in an Si and you will have the law after you very quickly.
Regular Gas, better mileage, lower insurance, and no 'drone' from the exhaust on the highway.

Things I like about the Si over the Fit:

Faster.
More aftermarket support.
Subwoofer (honestly out of all of these, the thing that i actually USE!)

But I know the attraction of horsepower. It got me, for a while. But I know that even in a Fit, I can have alot of fun at the local AutoX (as much fun as I would have in the Civic Si), and pay $200 a month less for it.

As I have posted on another thread, I have heard this statement and I am finding it more true everyday:

"It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow".