2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

It's been ten months... just hit 10% oil life

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
It's been ten months... just hit 10% oil life

Bought the two Fit's last October.
We both drove them to work.
My wife 5 days a week, me... 3. Until I quit.
My wife's Fit got it's oil changed a long time ago.
My son and I putted around. Used the bicycle a lot.
I took a bit of sideline work one state over.
My Fit's oil life nosed dived after all the highway miles last month.
It hit 15% two weeks back. Somewhere around 6500 miles.
Started the new job two weeks back. Been driving 5 days a week.
It hit 10% today.
I better get under that car and drop the oil.
Would have done it after work today, but it was 90 degrees, dusk, and buggy.
Maybe tomorrow before I go to work. Like that'll happen.

Oh, and this wasn't a post meant to spark a debate about when to change the first oil... I was just sayin'... time flies. And sometimes it doesn't... that's all.

And this is the first time I've ever heeded an owner's manual for the interval recommendations.

Last edited by TKZ12NO1; 08-10-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
They're calling for rain tomorrow... Wednesday should be good but who knows...

I'm over 6500 miles and still have 30% left hehehe... I don't want to leave it in much longer but eeeh we'll see... I haven't been driving it much lately.

How's the skyroof?

We gotta link up soon.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:01 PM
i'm at almost 8000 miles and 40% but i'm just gonna go ahead and change the oil and filter on wednesday before school starts. i know the 15% percent maintnence minder and all that i just want to get some synthetic in there.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:15 AM
5 Year Member
I've had my Fit for a month now and have 500 miles. Could take forever to get to the first oil change...

Old 08-11-2009, 07:40 AM
5 Year Member
Every engine brakes in. That means that all the moving parts ware into each other for a perfect fit. When they ware into each other, metal is lost into the oil which the filter should catch. That is why every good engine builder will tell you to change the oil& filter after the first 1,000 miles. Then change your oil & filter again after another 2,000 miles. Now you’re at 3,000 miles. Then change your oil & filter every 3,000 miles until 30,000 miles. The oil indicator showed 70% after 3,000 miles. I now change the oil & filter every 5,000 miles. The oil indicator shows 50%. All I’ve done to the engine is installed a K&N Typhoon intake and adjusted the vales at 60,000 miles. I’ve got 96K on the car right now…my next mod to the engine will be to install the T1R header and complete exhaust system that I’ve recently purchased.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
Got up this morning and changed the oil before I headed off to work. Scratched the lower edge of the front spoiler on the way up and down the ramps. I'd seen those ramp extensions people have made, but other cars I've had have rubbed with no significant damage. The Fit must be the lowest front chin, and it did not come out unscathed.

Oh well. It's not in a spot anyone standing up is going to see. That's what I get for being lazy and not using the jack and stands.

Don't do what I did.

Oh, and as for the maintenance minder reset:
Turn key on but don't start car. With all gauges lit...
Press and hold trip computer button in until it blinks.
Then when it blinks let go and press it again, and hold it again until it resets.

Last edited by TKZ12NO1; 08-11-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
my dealer has sent me at least one or two reminders telling me it's time to bring in my GE for its first change.

yet it's still at 50% (car bought Dec08). hahaha

so i'll decide when i'll get the first free oil change.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member
I bought mine with 52K and have put on 6K since then. My oil life is at 40%. It's still so weird to me that I can do double the mileage of my other cars until changing the oil.

Last edited by Fitguy07; 08-12-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jodele
Every engine brakes in. That means that all the moving parts ware into each other for a perfect fit. When they ware into each other, metal is lost into the oil which the filter should catch. That is why every good engine builder will tell you to change the oil& filter after the first 1,000 miles. Then change your oil & filter again after another 2,000 miles. Now you’re at 3,000 miles. Then change your oil & filter every 3,000 miles until 30,000 miles. The oil indicator showed 70% after 3,000 miles. I now change the oil & filter every 5,000 miles. The oil indicator shows 50%. All I’ve done to the engine is installed a K&N Typhoon intake and adjusted the vales at 60,000 miles. I’ve got 96K on the car right now…my next mod to the engine will be to install the T1R header and complete exhaust system that I’ve recently purchased.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jodele
So, what you're saying, is that, by following Honda's recommendations, I have already ruined my engine. Is that right?

If I am to believe this, then Honda's "oil life meter" is nothing more than a giant corporate conspiracy. Making you think your new car requires very little maintenance, while, at the same time wearing (not "waring") out your engine prematurely. Honda gets to brag about how little maintenance their cars require, how "green" they are, AND they get you to buy a new car that much sooner, because your car wears out faster.

Mighty clever, them Honda fellows!

Old 08-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Honda's rep building engines far surpasses anyone on any internet board about recommendations on maintenance on an engine they didn't have any part in designing. I'll trust the company's recommendations over anyone else whose opinion is based solely on false claims and misinformation. Honda is not the only company that does this, my buddy's BMW gets oil changes every 10-12K miles, clearly someone figured out how to extend the life of oil or realized engines don't benefit from premature oil changes.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:36 PM
gwh
9000 miles at 30% on oil reminder blacktone lab anaylsis said i could go 11000 mi.
so far there right on the money mobil 1 0w-20.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
I made it to 10,500 before I hit 15%. Brought it in the next day.
The dealership said that I had the 2nd highest miles before first fit oil change - the max was 12,000 at first change.

I'm at 17,000 now, with 50% oil life. ^.^ I love this car.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
So, what you're saying, is that, by following Honda's recommendations, I have already ruined my engine. Is that right?

If I am to believe this, then Honda's "oil life meter" is nothing more than a giant corporate conspiracy. Making you think your new car requires very little maintenance, while, at the same time wearing (not "waring") out your engine prematurely. Honda gets to brag about how little maintenance their cars require, how "green" they are, AND they get you to buy a new car that much sooner, because your car wears out faster.

Mighty clever, them Honda fellows!
...don't forget the fact that fewer service intervals = fewer trips to the dealer service center (for those who actually go to dealers...and a lotta folks seem to do so). So, Honda's "corporate conspiracy" includes reducing dealer profits (high profit margin) and increasing return buyer sales (low profit margin).

"They want the cars to wear out" is right up there with "higher octane gives you more HP and cleans yer engine." Pure bullshit....

Old 08-12-2009, 10:24 PM
That is why every good engine builder will tell you to change the oil& filter after the first 1,000 miles. Then change your oil & filter again after another 2,000 miles.
No they won't. I would know, I was a Porsche mechanic for 9 years and also specialized in racing 911/930s not to mention build more 911/930 engines than I can count. There is no metal floating around in the pan. The break in is mostly the piston rings seating against the cylinder walls. With advanced honing techniques and good rings (we used racing rings which wear differently) the break in period will be short and the engine will last a long time with proper care. Changing oil every 3,000 miles will do nothing but waste money. In fact the increments you said are exactly backwards. As an engine wears, you should change it more (only to a certain degree), not during the early stages as the engine doesn't have much blow-by to contaminate the oil.

With that said, don't always place blind faith on the meter saying how much oil life is left. Always look at the oil and see how dirty it is. If it is dirty, it needs to be changed regardless.

Also, as your engine wears and the ring end gap and other parts allow more combustion to contaminate the oil, the life left gauge will not be accurate so you should always check the oil manually.

Remember, oil is only there to suspend dirt and provide a cushion for rotating parts. Once it gets dirty the cushion diminishes and it can't absorb dirt so things start to wear.