2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

09 Tidewater Blue Fit Sport M/T Cash for Clunkers Experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 07:47 AM
5 Year Member
09 Tidewater Blue Fit Sport M/T Cash for Clunkers Experience

Did the deal yesterday, after the Senate reappropriated the money for the Cash for Clunkers program. I had gotten a better price from this dealer over the phone after spending a week researching. The sales guy made sure I knew all the paperwork I needed. I had my insurance company do a letter for proof of insurance, rather than find my old insurance cards and policies. While at the dealer, I saw at least 3 C4C deals going badly because folks didn't have all their paperwork. Mostly around the insurance coverage.

The dealer found me a Tidewater Blue Fit Sport M/T, which was one of the three colors I gave them (Taffata White, Blue Sensation, Tidewater Blue).

Thought I was prepared, and got surprised by the fact that the Honda Build Your Own site only lists the prices for parts for the options. Not the "dealer installation charge". Like $89 to install a leather shift knob,or $69 to install locking lug nuts (which I found on my car when I got it home so it looks like I'll have an extra set). The woman who did the accessories was new, and very accomodating. She printed off all the manuals for parts/accessories I was looking at, and I was able to shave $600 off the price for the options I wanted. I agreed to have the dealer install the body side molding, the door visors, interior illumination, the sport pedals M/T. As I was reviewing everything, I found the Mugen quick shifter priced at $235, and installed for $260. That is in stark contrast to the "markup" associated with the locking lugs and the shift knob, and I decided that the shorter shift would be good option for me.

The rest of the options are being delivered as parts, and I will install them. Only the center arm rest and the leather wrap steering wheel cover I'm kind of regretting, but the fact is I got $4500 for my Cobra (it was beat to hell and back with 170K miles) which is way more than I'd ever get for the trade, or someone who wanted it for restoration.

I also had the Saccucci Honda Care warranty pricing with me and the finance lady told me they won't accept Honda Care, and they had their own extended warranty that was much better than Honda Care at priced at $1595 for 7 yrs/100k miles. I didn't appreciate the strong arm treatment and pointed out I didn't care if they didn't support it since I drove 60 miles to get the car, and there were lots of dealers closer to me.

Anyone else get the "we don't support Honda Care" treatment?

They also pretty much refused to deal on any of the other packages. I know the huge markup, and they were only willing to knock off $100 off a $995 package with the paint and fabric protection, key replacement and some other "features" , when I paid $300 for something similar when I bought the Cobra. The dealer sent me the invoice for the "protection" pack when I bought my '93 Pathfinder, so I've been wise to this stuff ever since....

Shrug. Honda financed me, which I needed. I'll re-fi the car loan as soon as the house the ex is living in closes next month.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:54 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Old 08-08-2009, 08:33 AM
5 Year Member
you dont need ther leather wrap steering wheel cover, the sport wheel is already leather wrapped. That is an option for the base model only.

Other than that, congrats!

Old 08-12-2009, 02:38 AM
5 Year Member
Congrats and welcome!