2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Honda OEM armrest questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Honda OEM armrest questions

Hey guys, I finally received my OEM armrest today. Probably gonna install it this weekend. I was reading the instruction manual and read that I'll need a 3mm, 8mm, and 20mm hole saw. I don't have metric drill bits, so I don't know what size those are in english (fractional) measurements.

To those that have installed the armrest, what sized drill bits did you use for the 3mm, 8mm and 20mm holes?

TIA

myke

Old 08-06-2009, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
Please do a DIY with lots of pics, Myke. I am sooo interested.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
Please do a DIY with lots of pics, Myke. I am sooo interested.
They also have a video at DIYHonda.com Video Podcasts

myke

Old 08-06-2009, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
Ahhh, Doh!! I knew that! Damn. Ok, well take some pics installed. Your interior is going to look like mine if you get the Clazzios. (well, my future interior)

Old 08-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
Ahhh, Doh!! I knew that! Damn. Ok, well take some pics installed. Your interior is going to look like mine if you get the Clazzios. (well, my future interior)
That is my next plan...

Clazzio seat covers in black PVC/leather with gray stitching to match the OEM armrest.

myke

Old 08-06-2009, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
That's awesome...It'll be the way to go for me too.

Only difference is that yours is an A/T right? I'm looking for a M/T. But they'll be close!

I just watched the vid--they did a very good job (of course)--The only part I can't do is the drilling--I'll have to borrow a drill, LOL.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Old 08-06-2009, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
Many Questions are answered here in this thread, also if you go to Home Depot they can help you get the closest match to 20mm...they helped me with my drill bit/hole cutter...

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...weekend-2.html

Old 08-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Thanks guys!

I'll install it over the weekend when I have more time. I don't wanna rush it.

myke

Old 08-07-2009, 06:52 AM
5 Year Member
I didn't have the large hole saw, so I think I went with a 3/4" spade bit.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:36 AM
5 Year Member
stupid question... wheres the best place to order the arm rest from?

Old 08-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Need some help here.

From the pics it looks like the arm rest will work with a 5spd, yet all the official Honda brochures say you cannot order it with a 5spd.

Is this just Honda protecting us stupid Americans from ourselves?

Old 08-07-2009, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bensenvill
stupid question... wheres the best place to order the arm rest from?
Right here: Honda Center Armrest Fit - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories

Old 08-07-2009, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Desslok
Need some help here.

From the pics it looks like the arm rest will work with a 5spd, yet all the official Honda brochures say you cannot order it with a 5spd.

It will work just fine with a 5spd. Yep just Honda covering their a$$es...

Old 08-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
if you're planning to do any work on the car, this might be a good time to start getting metric tools.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
if you're planning to do any work on the car, this might be a good time to start getting metric tools.
I've got all kinds of metric tool (sockets, wrenches, etc.), just no metric drill bits

myke

Old 08-07-2009, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Desslok
Need some help here.

No problem on a MT at all... more than enough clearance...

see mine (OEM armrest w/ BespokeAuto custom armrest cover)

Originally Posted by kenchan
Yeah I couldn't possibly agree more.... The only metric tools I didn't have was a drill bit set, bought a nice 15 piece set, and it's come in handy quite a few times... I only wished I had it before I installed the armrest..

Old 08-08-2009, 03:18 AM
5 Year Member
good to see it fits the mtx (no reason not to and they are exactly the people that are going to benefit the most from reducing arm fatigue).

I've always been concerned with cantilevered arm rests after my 94 explorer. be as careful as you can with them and they still snap off on you over time. And I must say its a bit of a steep entry price.... regardless I view that arm rest as a neccessity and will be ordering one in the next week or so.

And fitstir, I hope your not super sensitive if I may post some comments on your photos. The fitment of the arm rest cover is less than great and definitely looks like it is a slip clover ringed by some elastic string on the back. and most if not all of it looks synthetic leather... not that it doesn't look nice, but I've been burned a few times ordering from reputable shops and getting things drop shipped from poland or othr czech countries with import forms that declare it as synthetic and it looks that and yet you still pay top dollar.I've learned to trust shops like katzkin. Just my 2 cents but with a bit of ground work you can usually find some local leather interior shops that can give you the true VIP fit and finish with the quality product at around the same price.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:03 AM
5 Year Member
The armrest is quite sturdy with the cantilever design, I have no problems leaning on it to get something from the back seat, it supports quite bit of weight....

As for the armrest cover, yeah it's not 100% perfect, but I'd say about 98% close to perfection... pretty good I'd say. It's definitely real leather, and it is merely a cover on top of the OEM armrest, it does have elastic all around the inside edges but it is underneath and can not be seen. James at Bespoke Auto (Chicago based) also did the custom handbrake cover for me with the perforated handle section, so it is not an import, I had to send him my armrest, and hand brake for fitment. The shift knob/boot is OEM Honda.
Could it be the extra padding that gives it that look?
I was a little unhappy with the miniscule & hard padding of the OEM top so I had James add more padding to the cover... Feel is much improved...

I am debating going with the Katzkin seat set, but at about ~1500 uninstalled (I want the gel inserts & heated options) it's quite steep in price for me right now, maybe in the future... For know I think I might get the Clazzio pvc black covers with the black leather center section, it's not full leather as the Katzkin, but $1000 cheaper.. I've seen people post pics, and coments on them and they look pretty good..

What do you think?

Old 08-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Installed the armrest today. It was pretty easy.

Only took about 45 minutes or so, and that's with me taking my sweet time.

It looks and works GREAT. Night and day difference from the original tiny armrest. It's also a pretty solid piece, and very stable.

I'm very happy with my purchase

Thanks for everyone's help, the drill bits worked perfectly.

myke

Quick Reply: Honda OEM armrest questions