2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Air conditioning issues at only 56 miles?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Watsoff
I've had mine for only a week, but by day two I noticed a drop in radio volume when the AC is on and I come to a stop at a light. No idea on the lights.
that is the svc on your stereo

Old 08-06-2009, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah should be normal.

I've heard beefing up the stock grounding helps a bit...but really, unless you're running serious audio or are obsessed with consistent, "pure" juice for your electricals, I don't quite see the point. That said, it's cheap (you can go with just some thick-gauge wire; voltage regulators are optional AFAIK) and you can DIY it.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:55 PM
I had the charging system looked at, and the dealership technician said everything was just fine. The dimming wasn't a huge problem on my 1,300 mile road trip back home. I'll get used to it!

Old 11-25-2009, 09:53 PM
I've just discovered this issue on my 2010. I was sure something was wrong, coming from owning an Audi Allroad. Kind of disappointing for somebody as obsessive compulsive as I am, but at least I know it's not a problem. I just finished wiring in OEM Bluetooth, so I was hoping I didn't forget an important step that was putting too much load on the tiny battery.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by doctordoom
the fit's engine is small and weak so the drain in power due to electrical demand is a lot more noticeable. but go ahead and bring it to the dealer to get it checked out. they can diagnose it a lot better than we can from your descriptions. but to me, it sounds like you're experiencing the normal effects. anyhows, good luck!

edit: oh i drive the 1st gen. i haven't driven the 2nd gen so i cannot say for sure about yours.
The reason for this behavior is that Hondas (not sure on other brands) use a device called an Electronic Load Detector, or ELD in the charging system. The ELD controls the voltage and amperage output of the alternator through the PCM. During lower voltage requirements the output (kinda cool to monitor on the HDS) is lowered to reduce the parasitic loss from the alternator, enhancing fuel economy and stress on the alternator. When a rapid amperage requirement hits (compressor clutch energizing, in this case), it takes moment for the ELD to instruct the alternator to bring voltage and amperage up, hence the "bounce". There has been a "ServiceNews" article on the Honda network since the mid eighties or nineties about this so I wouldn't worry about it unless you have other issues. It should be noted that not all Honda products suffer from this equally, the V-6 Accord does it MUCH less than the same year L4s.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
I never noticed anything like this with mine, but then I seldom run the A/C over the second setting. I suspect you may have a weak battery from the car sitting on the lot for a while. The OEM battery doesn't have a lot of reserve capacity, and if it's low, that could be the cause. Definately, take it back to the dealer. If it is the battery, it will be covered.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I never noticed anything like this with mine, but then I seldom run the A/C over the second setting. I suspect you may have a weak battery from the car sitting on the lot for a while. The OEM battery doesn't have a lot of reserve capacity, and if it's low, that could be the cause. Definately, take it back to the dealer. If it is the battery, it will be covered.
naw, they're right. Momentary dimming lights is normal on Hondas when the A/C kicks in. Did it on my 97 odyssey (4 cyl). Does it on the Fit too. Just point the lights at a wall at idle and flip on the A/C. You'll see them go dim for a split second. It's just an indication of a voltage drop until the PCM tells the alternator to step up output and increases idle speed at the same time. I've noticed with my headlights on it idles about 300 rpm faster than it does with them off.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Thecrazedorganist
I've got a brand new 2009 Fit Sport that I picked up today! Unfortunately, it looks as though I've already got a problem:

Whenever the A/C compressor kicks in (about every minute or so), there is a massive drain in electrical power. The headlights dim considerably and any interior lights that happen to be on also dim. The noise of the A/C compressor makes my 1984 GMC Sierra sound like a kitten. I'd taken the dealer's Fit for a pretty long test drive with the lights and A/C on during a hot SoCal evening and this most definitely didn't happen.

Is this a normal issue with this car? I'd be surprised if it is. No reviews that I encountered mentioned it at all.

'Appreciate the help.
This is NOT normal and your dealer has to take a look at it NOW.
Dom

Old 11-27-2009, 04:36 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Actually I believe it is normal, at least for my car. My Fit does it and so does all the other fits I've driven...

Old 11-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Since we are getting varying opinions here, I just want to clarify. If you do point your headlights at a wall and turn on the A/C, the power drain is not only at the initial "powering on" of the A/C system, but happens every time the condenser fan kicks on, right? In my car's case, it is every 20 seconds. The lights drop down and build back up to normal lumens in approximately 3 seconds. It sure seems like that A/C condenser fan kicks on a lot.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rockstar4hire
Since we are getting varying opinions here, I just want to clarify. If you do point your headlights at a wall and turn on the A/C, the power drain is not only at the initial "powering on" of the A/C system, but happens every time the condenser fan kicks on, right? In my car's case, it is every 20 seconds. The lights drop down and build back up to normal lumens in approximately 3 seconds. It sure seems like that A/C condenser fan kicks on a lot.
That's right. Although the compressor is belt powered, when it activates, current is used to power the compressor clutch as well as the twin fans on the radiator/condenser. And yes, it cycles frequently (especially when it's not too hot out).

A more expensive car might have voltage regulation on the lights avoiding dimming. A less frugal car would idle at a higher speed all the time burning unnecessary fuel to spin the alternator faster when it's not needed.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:02 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
The A/C condenser does turn on and off A LOT which sucks. Especially when its hot out and you get a blast of warm air in the face for about 5 seconds.

My lights don't dim anymore thanks to the retrofit. but when I had halogens they would dim horribly when the condenser turned on.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Hey what happened with your car???

I'm a new owner experiencing the same issues...what did they tell you at the dealership?.

Thanks.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:54 PM
This is what I'm talking about.....

"Whenever the A/C compressor kicks in (about every minute or so), there is a massive drain in electrical power. The headlights dim considerably and any interior lights that happen to be on also dim. The noise of the A/C compressor makes my 1984 GMC Sierra sound like a kitten."

Same for me, I've had the car for a couple of weeks and was told by a friend that it was normal...but the guy is no expert so I'm a little uneasy about it.

Anything you guys can tell me will help, specially in plain, simple languaje because I know almost nothing about engines and stuff ...

Old 06-06-2010, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
1st gen. (GD) and it has not dimmed the lights in 21k so with a higher hp engine (GE) I would speculate that there maybe something amiss with the alternator/regulator.
Does it drop the rpm of the engine significantly? That would point to the compressor not running properly. Like you said it is Loud when it kicks on

Old 06-06-2010, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
I have 09 Fit MT. I have no dimming and no cycling of AC. There is no great noise from the compressor. Only problem was a bad battery after 4 months, as noted in other threads, the original battery sucks.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:04 AM
Dropped by the dealership..to ask about it

I just dropped by without an appointment and asked one of the mechanics in there about it ...

He was nice enough to give me some time, despite obviously being on a rush, and said everything I described is normal, that many people have asked the same question and that's just how Honda's work, he said he didn't know exactly why but that I should not worry about it ... he was really, really young but seemed to know what he was talking about.

He noticed my disbelief so he said something like: "I'll show you" ... then he went and got the keys of a new CR-V that was parked next to where we were standing and started it, he opened the hood and told me to listen to it ... and there it was .... the exact same noise, at about the same rate...I couldn't notice if the lights dimmed because it was very bright out there, so I just said "ok" ... at that point, a woman who seemed like some sort of manager, stopped by and said the same thing "yeah, that happens, it's normal."

Oh about the RPM question from Perrenaud ... no, rpm remain normal when the other stuff happens.

- What do you guys think? ...

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
you think thats bad. my fit's lights dim when i roll up and down the windows.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Trust me it's normal. All Fits lights dim when the compressor comes on. I just saw mine do it over the weekend a lot. It's not horribly noticeable it is only when sitting in traffic and your staring at someones bumper and the compressor kicks on. That's the only time I really notice it. My TSX does the same thing and My CL type S even did this as well. It's common I think its just more noticeable in the Fit because it is a smaller car (smaller battery) I don't worry about it.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
Any conclusion to this ?
I have the same problem and i must say it is pretty dramatic, my car would almost stall.. a would make a big click noise everytime the compressor kicks in which is every other minute, this is not normal cuz it wasnt like this before and i only hve 56000kms

Quick Reply: Air conditioning issues at only 56 miles?!