2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Wavy windshield on 2nd Gen GE8?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member
Wavy windshield on 2nd Gen GE8?

I'm known for being anal like this, but I had never noticed anything similar in my previous 5 vehicles.

The windshield on my new GE8 2nd Gen Fit (Japan made, US Spec) exhibits some 'wavyness' when looking from the inside... it's mostly on the right side, lower area.

For example, when Im driving, I can clearly see some 'wavyness' on the windshield especially as horizontal lines on the road or similar patterns are crossing my path.

No such problem towards the driver's side (Thank God).

Anyone notice this?! I know if I bring it up to the dealer they'll treat me like Im crazy. And I probably am for noticing this stuff LOL.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
I remember one other member post about similar issues a long time ago. I think they had theirs replaced under warranty. A search may bring up something.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
I did search first, and came back empty.

BUT, I ran a google search on it and guess what I found! Someone make this a sticky already. I saw a ton of posts on the Civic forums just now asking about the same issue...!

Excerpt from: Frequently Asked Questions - the Official Honda Web Site

When I look through the side of the windshield on my car, it’s all wavy and distorted. Is this normal?
This distortion is called “cross-car distortion.” You will notice it when you’re watching a vehicle cross in front of your car and also when you’re turning left and looking through the right side of the windshield at other vehicles. Front-seat passengers see the same distortion when they look through the left side of the windshield. Since cross-car distortion occurs when you look through the glass at an angle, it may be even more noticeable for short drivers. Wearing nonprescription sunglasses, which tend to reduce depth perception, also may increase the perceived distortion.
Some cross-car distortion exists in the windshields of Honda vehicles manufactured since 1994. In fact, all of these recent Honda windshields have this distortion to some degree, and the condition should be considered normal. Because the aerodynamic windshield of recent Hondas is at more of an angle than in the past, the cross-car distortion may be slightly more noticeable, even though the jump distortion is at the same low level as before. These windshields meet all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards for glazing materials, and this minor distortion is allowable within the industry specifications for automotive glass.

Last edited by justintime; 07-27-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
ill have to look next time im driving

Old 07-28-2009, 02:15 AM
If you look hard enough you will notice this on almost any car made in the last 10 years or so since manufactures started bending glass in multiple directions for styling and aerodynamic reasons.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
I looked hard at my 2 other cars, and indeed found SLIGHT wavyness and distortion. Almost impossible to notice. What I notice in the Fit is way more pronounced... I'd say out ot spec!

Originally Posted by stevieontario
If you look hard enough you will notice this on almost any car made in the last 10 years or so since manufactures started bending glass in multiple directions for styling and aerodynamic reasons.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, when we test drove the GE the test car had the distortion. luckily mine isn't as obvious but it is there. i think my GD's like that too in certain angles. i got use to it.