2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

highway driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 04:36 PM
yea...but now one read the full test of the 2007 SX4.....
This is comparing the sx4 to the GD3..the GE8 is even better..

"The Suzuki's EPA rating of 24 city/30 highway is significantly less ambitious than the rest of the subcompact class. Our best tank of mostly highway driving netted us 26 mpg. Not terrible, but recent tests of the other vehicles in this class showed fuel-efficiency numbers in the low-30s.

So if you live in an area that gets weather, the all-wheel-drive 2007 Suzuki SX4 may be your ideal new hatchback, but if fuel economy is a priority, the Honda Fit is the thriftier option."

Full Test: 2007 Suzuki SX4

Last edited by Committobefit08; 07-24-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by txmatt
I'll apologize in advance, but I found this kinda funny... except for crosswind stability, engine noise, and road noise, the highway drive/ride is great.
*shrugs*

I don't see what was funny as you basically agreed with everything I said. Peace bro

Old 07-25-2009, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you Texas Jon for a freaking fantastic review. That was just...wow. Thank you.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:52 AM
I don't find crosswinds much of an issue (then again, i'm used to driving big honkin' vans). It's because the steering response is so tight, meaning there is absolutely no play/deadzone in the steering wheel. This can make the fit feel squirelly when making sudden/quick/slight adjustments to the left or right on the steering wheel.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krizz
Texas Jon

What year was your GTI? I had an '85, first year for the Golf, and really only had two major issues in the 10 years I had it.

The clutch seals blew right at the mileage everyone said they would, and I started having fuel pump issues just before I sold it.

Anyways, nice writeup, just reinforces my decision to get the Fit, Monday can't arrive soon enough.
Krizz,

I had two GTI's:

I had a 1995 GTI VR6 that was mostly trouble free. It actually started my love affair with VW's. Other than minor warning light issues, the only major failure was the transmission, but it wasn't the car's fault. I had an intake, Borla exhaust and a Techtonics Tuning chip. It would rev really quickly. One day, the girl I was dating at the time got in, mistaked the throttle for the brake and when she started it up, it instantly sailed to redline, which startled her. She then released both feet from the pedals. Unfortunately, her left foot was correctly depressing the clutch at the time and I always park my manual transmission cars in reverse with the handbrake set. As you can imagine, she essentially reved the car to redline and dumped the clutch with the car in reverse and the handbrake on. The car literally jumped off the ground and blew up the transmission (R, 1 & 2 shift rails). Poor car spent 5 weeks waiting for parts while I was given an A4 as a loaner (somehow, the dealer covered this repair).

The second GTI was a 2000 GTI VR6. It was trouble from the beginning. A/C issues, electrical issues and, of course, the now famous syncro problems. I was actually a very active VW Vortex member back then and was one of the guys responsible for VW eventually owning up to the problem (at least more than they had before.) Unfortunately, the response came after I had given up on the car and moved on and bought the 4th and final Wrangler.

I'm glad your 85 was a good car. I guess I wish I had discovered VW's a bit earlier - I think I got in right as the brand began to fall apart. Nonetheless, I ended up with two GTI's, two Passat 1.8t's ('98 sedan & '00 wagon), two A4 1.8t quattro's and a Toureg.

I still long for them, but I know I'd just be dissappointed...

Old 07-26-2009, 08:34 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
To all those who complimented my lengthy write up - thank you. I guess all those years of journalism classes at Southwest Texas finally paid off for something... It's a career path I sometimes wish I had taken, but, cars were my passion so I got sucked into the industry and here I am 21 years later.

Happy motoring all!

Old 07-26-2009, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by Type 100
*shrugs*

I don't see what was funny as you basically agreed with everything I said. Peace bro
I was summarizing what you said, not providing my insight. I pretty much agree with your assesment, but wouldn't then say the highway ride/drive is peachy. Stability, engine noise and road noise would be the top 3 criteria for me for a great highway ride. If a vehicle doesn't have those (and the Fit doesn't), I'd say it's merely adequate for that task. It's like saying I'm always tired, my body hurts, and I have breathing problems, but otherwise I feel great.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:48 AM
I just returned from my first mutli-day trip. And having driven a Smart for the last 14 months the Fit has NO crosswind issues! High winds at 60+ mph in the Smart could be 'fun'. But the Fit handled the trip like a champ. 800 lbs of people and luggage and WV hills it still got almost 40 mpg and never felt like it was really struggling. All a POV ...the Fit is not the highway cruiser my 1999 Concorde was.....but thats apple and orange compare.