2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Caution: Dunlop Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
Caution: Dunlop Tires

Maybe this is just my issue, BUT I wanted to give a warning. I have had two scary experiences in downpours. These stock Dunlop tires just seem like they hydroplane way too easily.

In damp or wet roads they do fine, but if there is any amount of laying water on the road, these tires are not safe. Even going 35 or 40 mph, I can still feel it hydroplaning. Just thought I'd give a warning as a head's up. Be careful out there...

Last edited by cyergey; 07-16-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the head's up. Others, please post your experiences... I wonder if the OP lives in an area with different/poorer asphalt? SOunds crazy that @ 35mph you'd hydroplane!

Old 07-16-2009, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
i had no issues even in the snow with my factory dunlops. Hrm...

Old 07-16-2009, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
LOL I live in FLorida and that is all it has been doing lately... They are just fine!

Old 07-16-2009, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
Interesting. Maybe it is the road surface. Although, today it was on Interstate 80 and last weekend it was on back roads. Maybe I'm overreacting. Just didn't feel safe...

Now I am talking about *heavy* downpours and lots of water sitting on the road.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:53 PM
We just had heavy rain the other day and had no problem.
I also drove in 3+ of snow in January when I got my car...no issues. Handles a lot better in the snow compared to my CL-S with Cooper all season tires.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
I Have Dunlops and they are fine. Accidently hit 4-6" standing water during a bad thunderstorm at at 45mph and besides scaring the bejesus out of me when I hit it,I didn't loose control,nor felt like I was. I was actually surprised how the Fit took it.

I have a manual,and if you pop the clutch in the wet ,yes they will spin. To date have no braking,or side slipping incidents when wet or pooling water.

If you were nailing the brakes,I could see it in deep water,or it tire pressure was way high. Check the tire pressure.

New tires must be scuffed in a few thousand miles to wear off that smooth gloss they have when new and should improve traction. Sipes in tire are opened up a bit,and roughed up too. If you use tire protectorant and overspray the tread this could cause slippery action of water against rubber. {read warning on some products}.

PaFitter

Old 07-16-2009, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
The last car (03 Protege 5) came with dunflops. They were OK in the wet until they had about 20k on them, then their wet grip went away. Swapped them out very soon after that!

Old 07-16-2009, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
Well, apparently I'm the only one so far. I have about 10,800 miles on them. I'm still going to be cautious with them.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:39 PM
I can't really complain about the stock Dunlaps, they seem fine to me though I have nothing to compair them against since they are the only tires I have had on the car. Thanks for the heads up. I would imagine that the lightness of the Fit makes it worse.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:52 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
just wondering, what cars have you had before the fit? if you've only driven heavy cars in the rain, keep in mind that this car is a lot lighter so that may also be a cause.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:14 AM
5 Year Member
Just my opinion, I never trust tires off the factory... I usually ask teh dealer to get the tires i want before the deal, or install the ones i want after i get it off the lot... but thats just me i guess.

If you are having issues with your tires, maybe its time to look for a new set... Better spend that extra money before anything happens =(

Old 07-17-2009, 05:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
just wondering, what cars have you had before the fit? if you've only driven heavy cars in the rain, keep in mind that this car is a lot lighter so that may also be a cause.
Good advice. +rep

Although yeah, getting stickier rubber wouldn't hurt either. Personally I had 14" Michelin Vivacys as stock rubber...I didn't miss them when I got Bridgestone S-02 Pole Positions because the newer tires were worlds better on just about every aspect bar treadwear.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:22 AM
5 Year Member
I've always been a small-car person. Last car was a Scion xB. I also own a Miata which is much lighter than the Fit. I guess I will just have to get a new set of wheels and tires.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:58 AM
5 Year Member
I usually hate Dunlop tires from the last experience I had with them from my other car. These Dunlops on my 07 though are pretty good. They're quiet and have decent wet traction. They could have a little better dry handling but for a stock M+S they're okay.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cyergey
Maybe this is just my issue, BUT I wanted to give a warning. I have had two scary experiences in downpours. These stock Dunlop tires just seem like they hydroplane way too easily.

In damp or wet roads they do fine, but if there is any amount of laying water on the road, these tires are not safe. Even going 35 or 40 mph, I can still feel it hydroplaning. Just thought I'd give a warning as a head's up. Be careful out there...
milage on the tires and psi?

Old 07-17-2009, 01:09 PM
When i purchased my 8th gen civic it came with goodyears. I took it out in the rain and i was on the highway going 65 and started sliding, took it down to 55 and started sliding again, then 45, then i just got off and took the streets and was still sliding!

IT was so bad that i didn't drive that car in the rain unless i had to!

Weather conditions were moderate showers, and not the first days of the storms when the oils wash away.

A few close calls!

I know exactly what you are going through, no one else i knew with the civic had the problem, so i went and bought some nitto nt 450's which are amazing in rainy weather =]

Old 07-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by cyergey
I've always been a small-car person. Last car was a Scion xB. I also own a Miata which is much lighter than the Fit. I guess I will just have to get a new set of wheels and tires.
YOU JUST WANT AN EXCUSE TO BUY A NEW COMBO SET!

Old 07-17-2009, 05:21 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bryan-Guy-Status
WTH is a 'combo set' in toronto they call BigMac Meals "combo."

in the US: yah, i'll take a #1 meal with coke for here.
in Canada: yah, i'll take a #1 combo with coke for here.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bryan-Guy-Status
Come on... It's a good plan, isn't it?

Quick Reply: Caution: Dunlop Tires