2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Navigation problem when searching by place name

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Navigation problem when searching by place name

I've got a 2009 Fit Sport AT with Navi. When I try to search for a "place" by name (for instance, Walgreens), I'm given locations that are hundreds of miles away. Does anyone else have this problem?

Also, I can't locate the setting so that it doesn't route through toll roads.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Your best bet would be to use category>shopping, that way you wont get a business that's 500 miles away. Also on the Toll roads, you will get your route choices in the address box, should be right under it. i.e direct route,easy route, so on.

Last edited by likaglov; 07-14-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:35 AM
5 Year Member
The database is horribly organized. The categories are very inconsistent, and place names vary. You'll get "Walmart", "Wal-Mart", "Wal Mart", etc. It's been this way with Honda's nav system for years, and hasn't gotten any better.

These days, I use google maps on my iPhone to find an address, and then punch it into my nav system.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:52 PM
I went to the dealer today about this same problem. After calling their "Tech Line" they said there wasn't any way to fix this problem.

I searched "DMV" and "Department of Motor Vehicles" which both produced hits. However they were 2300 miles away !

Honda Tech line stated that unless you have an address or phone number for your desired location this is the kind of results you will get.

I think we've all been robbed of our money ! Searching the nearest location for whatever your looking for is a BASIC feature of even the most inexpensive GPS units on the market.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:07 PM
This has been a real frustration with the Nav system. It's almost like it lists the furtherest places first. Must remember to you use google maps and enter the address. Not easy via voice command but this is just as much of a problem when entering by hand or with a passenger helping...

Old 03-11-2010, 10:34 PM
pharmpk

Thats what I did today to find the DMV that was only 3 miles from my location (not 2300).

Bottom line is ....I didn't buy this Navi system with that expectation. I'm guessing there are thousands of unhappy Honda customers that would like this fixed.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jsp500
pharmpk
Thats what I did today to find the DMV that was only 3 miles from my location (not 2300).

Bottom line is ....I didn't buy this Navi system with that expectation. I'm guessing there are thousands of unhappy Honda customers that would like this fixed.
I ordered a 2010 Fit with navigation, and if it weren't for VSA I would have skipped it. I know I would have skipped it if I knew what you guys are talking about.

For what they charge for the navigation system, this is absolute and complete BS.

I recommend we start a complaint/petition, web-wide. This is basically the same system Civic, Accord, etc., and even Acura users have. If thousands of customers were to get serious about these kinds of complaints, via a petition, I'll bet Honda would listen and do something about it. In today's atmosphere of struggling economies and competition between automakers Honda would be absolute fools not to listen and provide a fix.

It's not as if this would require a unit swap. It's a simple software fix... these units in and of themselves are fairly nice units. Matter of fact, I'm told by coders at other forums, including Acura forums, hardware-wise these units are capable of a great deal more than Honda (would allow) coded them for. Nevertheless, I'm sure simple software updates would fix these types of problems easily.

We're talking basic, standard navigation features here. It's not as if your complaints -- and apparently soon to be mine -- could be considered as out-of-the-ordinary, extreme, or even petty for that matter.

The fact other manufacturers provide these types of basic features for navigation units is a given... no reason Honda should provide less.

Everyone here should think about this. If everyone wants to start an online petition here to begin with, you have my vote and my signature. If some people are concerned about other forum members or forum visitors knowing who they are and where they're located then there are remedies for those concerns also.

If you guys really want fixes, I'm in! I don't know... in my brief dealings with Honda, they seem pretty stubborn in many ways. I could be wrong about that though.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:42 PM
annunC8

Did you get your car yet ? im interested in seeing how you like your navi

Old 03-18-2010, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jsp500
annunC8

Did you get your car yet ? im interested in seeing how you like your navi
Well, I was supposed to finally get it Mid-march. Then I called on the 14th to see if my dealer heard anything and was told it had been changed by Honda once again... to near the end of the month.

So they called yesterday and surprise, it came in after all! Not exactly mid-month, but not exactly end of month either. I don't know... Honda must be a little busy, or whacked... it would appear they don't know how far away, or even where their shipped merchandise is!

So I'm getting it within the next few days.

Actually, I checked out the navigation unit really well the other day at another dealer. It's alright. In ways it seems like a very good unit. In other ways it seems a little dated. I like it better than the standard Fit unit though. I'm actually getting it because, lamely enough, Honda only offers VSA with the navigation unit... so I went for it.

If VSA were offered for all models I would have chosen the standard system and rolled my own aftermarket unit. But hey, I'm getting VSA, the navi. display is larger and the unit more versatile than the standard system. From what I can tell, I won't dislike the navigation as a whole. I do dislike some features (or lack thereof) I've discovered, and definitely some here have reported.

I will report back after I've had time to get used to it.

Why? Other than the unhappy problem this thread represents, what do you think about the navigation otherwise? Come on... it's your turn!