2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Floormat Advice for New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Katita
How are the Honda carpeted floormats? Do they sit still or slide around?
You have to install little latches for them on the floor on the driver side. They sit still then. The passenger side just sits there. Not difficult. I have had the carpeted mats for about 11,000 miles in seven months. They will never last at the rate they are wearing. They are very thin and my heel is wearing a permanent indentation in the mat.

I don't like rubber mats, so I put up with them.

Cheers.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by SportMTNavi
... I have had the carpeted mats for about 11,000 miles in seven months. They will never last at the rate they are wearing. They are very thin and my heel is wearing a permanent indentation in the mat.
Both of the Acura Integras I've owned (2nd & 3rd gen) had the same problem with OEM carpet floor mats. Driver's right heel burrowing thru by 20k miles. Same deal with my wife's Civic after a little over a year of driving. With that kind of experience, I opted-out of any discussions on floor mats when I sat down with the Axe Man to finalize the deal. The all weather mats caught my attention, but so did their price of $150.

Now you clowns are turning me on to this Weather Tech option , and I'm right back to that $150, and then some. But, I'm liking what I've read and what I see on their site. Where's the installed pics? Looks great from the studio shot....but I've seen some one piece rear mats installed in other cars that never quite fit right - which translates to looking like ass in my book.

...new to this site, so guess I need to do some searchin' - but post 'em if ya got 'em.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:00 PM
I'll try to get you some pics of the weathertechs tomorrow sometime. fitment is top notch.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
It's a little crazy to pay $150 for floormats whether they're rubber, carpet, aluminum, whatever. They're just floormats, and the dirtiest thing in your car too.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
I've had WeatherTech mats in a Ford Ranger and I liked them, but they seem too "truckish" for my little orange Fit.

I'm a bit fanatical about having mats that really fit properly, so the generic ones from Wal-Mart don't appeal to me at all. Nor do the "free" ones with the dealer's name screen-printed on.

Does anyone have any experience with either the coco mats or sisal mats from AutoSportCatalog.com? I like the look--sort of vintage European, but I have never bought from the company before, and they are pretty expensive.

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=c&cid=4&filterbyvehicle=yes

Old 08-06-2009, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by blyndgesser
Does anyone have any experience with either the coco mats or sisal mats from AutoSportCatalog.com?
http://www.autosportcatalog.com/inde...rbyvehicle=yes
Coco mats look great in the older Euros -- BMW 2002, Porsche 914...never thought to slap 'em in this Fit. My only experience was a friends 914...the black mats with red specs too long ago to be of any use here. I put 'em in 1971 VW Super Beet that was in mint condition. The thing I recall from those days was, they looked good, but the damn outer stitching came loose on all of 'em within a year, which meant that vinyl trim/edging would also come loose. If the ones you've found on that site "Start at: $124.95" then maybe they're a better build.

Looking at the pics of the coco mats brings back memories - personally i think they fit the angular, utilitarian designs of those older cars better than they would in a Fit. Hell, buy 'em and slap 'em in - post pics!! If they blow, eBay 'em while they're fresh...

Old 08-08-2009, 06:33 AM
5 Year Member
I ended up with the carpet mats and they are cheap/flimsy!

Old 08-08-2009, 07:10 AM
5 Year Member
Cheap mats + anti-slide trick

I decided to temporarily use some cheap universal mats in my AT Sport and take my time looking at options for good mats. But the cheapies (Sears Weatherhandler, very similar to Kraco's) have molded down to the footwell quite nicely and they have nice deep, slush catching grooves, so I'm surprisingly happy with them. One trick I can recommend is to use some of that tacky, rubbery shelf liner matting under the drivers side mat (folded into a triple layer in my case). It keeps the mat from sliding very effectively. It works better than the OEM Honda clips (wife has those in her Fit with Honda carpet mats), because the clips still allow an annoying little 1/4 inch or so of wiggle. My mats are in there solid with the shelf liner underneath.

For you guys with the Weathertech's, those do look really nice though. Definitely the gold standard.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Well, I thought about doing a mod on some cheaper mats and all, BUT.... I've spent five years in a Jeep Wrangler, always modding and making things work. I'm ready to just buy and install without having to cut and work at it. The weathertechs are looking awfully nice to me, that edge to edge coverage really does look good. Does anyone have real life pics of them, I'd like to check out that fitment a little bit closer before dropping the cash on em....

Old 08-08-2009, 12:06 PM
I have pics of it on this thread.

WeatherTech's DigitalFit review