2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Floormat Advice for New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
industrial velcro should do the trick...I use the Honda ones myself but I live in CA, so they are there because of dirt and some mud at most.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:44 AM
I thought I would dig this thread back up and let everyone know what I ended up with since you guys helped me out.

I decided against the Weathertech mats and instead went with the custom cut Lloyd RubberTite floormats .

Admittedly, I hated the idea of spending over $100 on two mats so I was happy to find a cheaper option ($53.95 including shipping). So far they are great. They are cut perfectly so the front buts up against the dead pedal which eliminates any sliding forward. Some people on this forum used the same mats on the older version of the Fit and liked them initially but reported that they didn't last as long as they would have liked. I don't drive a ton so I'm hoping I will have better luck. They also have a lifetime warranty so I could always go that route if I wish.

Pros: Heavy rubber, fit perfectly because they are custom cut, reasonably priced, I personally really like the look of a more traditional mat so I really like these.

Cons: Since they are flat more traditional mats water/snow etc. can run off the sides onto the carpet. They also have a fairly strong rubber smell when you first put them in. I don't notice it anymore after a few days but this could bother some people more than me.

Hope this helps other new Fit owners

Old 07-25-2009, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
I haven't picked up my Fit yet but I have been debating on this option. Its weird that they don't come w/ floor mats to begin with. My dad's 03 Accord came with them while my 03 element did not. I kinda think the OEM mats are overpriced and i'm gonna see what mats fit from previous cars i've owned.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I have the Weathertech floorliners for my '09 Sport MT, and haven't noticed any issues with them at all. If I DID notice the clutch pedal catching, I'm sure I could do a little custom trimming to fix the problem.
Any pics? Did you get the All weather Digitalfit?

Old 07-26-2009, 01:25 AM
I thought long and hard about this exact question. In the end I decided to go with the OEM All weather mats, mostly for the price. I got them for $95 after Bing Cashback on Ebay, as opposed to ~$170 I was looking at for the weathertech floorliners.

I've had the mats for ~1 month and so far no problems. That said, I don't drive in any rough conditions where I bring in a lot of water and dirt into the car, so take this with a grain of salt.

As far as installation goes, it was very easy to do. All you need is a utility knife. You can check out my finished look here:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/album.php?albumid=259

Old 07-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Old 07-31-2009, 03:51 PM
We got the Weathertech mats and I couldn't be happer. They just arrived yesterday, and the fit is great. Plus, no cutting the carpet. I actually canceled my order of the Honda all-weather mats after reading someone's comment that the driver's mat was wearing through after 6 months. Glad I did.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by blazej
I haven't had a problem with sliding around, but after 3 months (2,500 miles), the place where the driver's heal goes is starting to look worn. I'm not sure how they will hold up after a couple of years.
After 30k miles I have the same thing with the OEM all-weathers, really bad! I think after another year there's gonna be a big hole in the mat. I have been thinking in advance of ways I could repair it, maybe shoe goo, though that sounds pretty tacky...

Old 08-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Floormats are pissing me off! I want the Weathertech All-weather but they dont make the 2009 Fit... instead they have the Digifits which aren't 100% rubber, have a 3 yr vs a 10 yr warrenty & are 1 giant piece in the back... How the hell do you take that out & in to clean it?
Asides from Hondas mats & Weathertech... any place else yall getting your mats?

Old 08-03-2009, 02:02 PM
The Digifits are great... They are made of some kind of a tough composite material which looks like it will last the life of the car. To pull them out, just lift them right out. I pulled mine out yesterday to hose them off. Had them back in 2 mintes.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Invest in the WeatherTechs they are well worth the money. The fronts are a perfect fit and the rear (although it is one piece) is much better than the Honda All weathers because it has the bridge piece that covers the center hump. There is no issue yanking it out to hose it off or clean it. I just fold the seats up in the back and pull it right out. It takes maybe 5 minutes. I had the All weather honda mats before the WeatherTechs came out and they sucked. They were always sliding around and didn't trap anything!

Old 08-03-2009, 03:18 PM
There doesn't seem to be anything "Perfect" out there... if you guys have already traded out Honda mats for Weathertech thats scary, I don't want to buy 2 sets of mats. I'll go with the weathertechs & let yall know how they go

Old 08-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Never bought the Honda floor mats... Weathertechs were the first set.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Just ordered the Lloyd Rubbertite Mats from AutoAnything... $82 total vs $179 for the Weathertech digifits... 5 year warranty vs 3 years.

Lloyd RubberTite Rubber Floor Mats, Lloyd Rubber Floor Liner

I'll post a review when I get em but saving $100 & getting a longer warranty was a big plus... Worst comes to worse I buy another Lloyds set in 5 years... 2 sets for the price of 1 Weathertech. I have a hard time believing that the 1 weathertech will outlast 2 sets of the Lloyds.

Good luck people.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by tunaman4u2
Just ordered the Lloyd Rubbertite Mats from AutoAnything... $82 total vs $179 for the Weathertech digifits... 5 year warranty vs 3 years.

Lloyd RubberTite Rubber Floor Mats, Lloyd Rubber Floor Liner

I'll post a review when I get em but saving $100 & getting a longer warranty was a big plus... Worst comes to worse I buy another Lloyds set in 5 years... 2 sets for the price of 1 Weathertech. I have a hard time believing that the 1 weathertech will outlast 2 sets of the Lloyds.

Good luck people.
Waste of money. You might as well have bought the Honda OEM All Weather mats. The advantage of the WeatherTech's over the Honda OEM or Lloyd rubber tite mats is the fact that they are molded to the floor well. They come up on all sides to contain EVERYTHING. NOTHING gets on the carpet. Mats without sides, no matter the brand, warranty, grooving, etc. aren't going to contain crap.

Enjoy your $82 Lloyds because they're going to frustrate the hell out of you. And I don't know why your concerned with the warranty, I've had the same pair of WeatherTech mats in my 4 runner since 2002 and they still look brand new. You get what you pay for I guess is lesson you learn in this situation. I learned that lesson when I purchased the Honda All weather mats. I have a hard time believing 2 sets of Lloyds will last or will serve any benefit at all.

Good luck guy.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Quite passionate...
Its just a car floor carpet & mine is black anyway... not much is going to stain it. If I had unlimited money I'd get the Weathertechs.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blazej
I have the Honda ones and they don't slide. The front mat has "hooks" that you install (it takes about 10 minutes). I haven't had a problem with sliding around, but after 3 months (2,500 miles), the place where the driver's heal goes is starting to look worn. I'm not sure how they will hold up after a couple of years.

Anyway, no sliding.
I have the carpeted ones my 07 and I noticed the same thing, wear on the carpet where your heel sits on the accelerator. I've been driving to and from work without my shoes/sneakers on. Makes the carpet last much longer, more comfortable to me, and also prevents ripping of the undercarpet where it's not covered by the mats.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by tunaman4u2
Quite passionate...
Its just a car floor carpet & mine is black anyway... not much is going to stain it. If I had unlimited money I'd get the Weathertechs.
yah...it's a habit, i'm passionate about products that live up to the quality for the money spent.

Don't worry, stains won't be your issue... and it looks like you obviously have a little more money and less sense since you factored in the replacement set of mats on the front end.

I really do wish you luck though. If I were you though I would cancel your order with Lloyd, go to Lowes/Home Depot, buy some industrial rubber and cut it to size. Then you could at least save a little bit of money and retain the same functionality as the mats you ordered.

If I had unlimited time that's what I would do, if I were you of course.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
Honda OEM all weather rubber mats are very very good.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:11 PM
My 2009 Manual Transmisson Fit came with four dealer supplied black carpets. The driver's mat hung off the side of the Drivers Footrest and hung up on the clutch pedal, keeping it from being fully depressed. I thought I had synchro problems until I removed the driver's floormat after a few minutes of driving the new car.

I used the $20 Kraco black molded rubber universal mats available at Sam's Club. They come in a set of four and are similar to the WeatherTech in that they are a design with deep ridges. I spent about 15 minutes cutting and trimming until they fit well. The key is to cut a slit down from the upper front next to the right edge of the dead pedal ending it in a hole or tight circle. This allows the left part of the mat to cover the dead pedal and the center part to go under the clutch pedal. Then cut the center part horizontally under the clutch pedal until the clutch can still go fully down until it touches the original carpet.

The molded rubber will still cover most of the floor and the sides trap any water on the floor, but it will not interfere with the clutch pedal travel. WeatherTech makes great stuff, but I don't think that you can beat the Kraco price and I felt much better about cutting them up <g>. I can cheaply replace them in a few years if needed, but the set in my Acura is four years old and going strong. There are several other universal, deep style molded rubber carpets available besides the Kraco in the $20 - $30 range.

The original dealer supplied carpets were moved to the "trunk" area to protect that area and perhaps quiet down some of the road noise. If you save the rubber parts that are trimmed off the universals they can be used in other areas. I glued one trimmed section under my fire extinguisher for added support and to eliminate rattles. The bracket is mounted on the right corner of the "trunk" just below the access panel for the tail lights in the little vertical "nook".

Quick Reply: Floormat Advice for New Owner