2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fit Sport 2009 and USB

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Fit Sport 2009 and USB

I use a USB stick, primarily to listen to podcasts. Here's the problem: Sometimes the system remembers where I left off listening and other times it just resets the podcast I am listening to at the beginning and starts over. This is annoying when I am listening to a long podcast and have to turn off the car. Note that it does NOT do this when I switch from AUX to radio. As soon as I return to AUX, it picks up right where it left off. However, if I turn off the car, it will reset to zero and start over.

The problem is that this isn't consistent. Sometimes it will resume where I left off for many starts and restarts of the car. Other times, it will reset every time.

I have tried every combination to see if I can force it to operate correctly, but there is no rhyme or reason (or doesn't seem to be) to when it is going to reset and when it will resume. The owner's manual sheds no light on this, as it appears to have nothing to do with any of the available functionality of the system. If anyone has figured out a formula to get it to resume every time, I would appreciate knowing what it is. Since I can't have XM in the car, I like to listen to the podcasts, but can't stand to start over every time!

Old 07-06-2009, 11:34 PM
From what I've seen the USB connect is kinda finicky.

It could be when you switch sources on your stereo it puts the USB port on standby and doesn't turn it off. However, if you don't select it for more than 12 hours, it will turn off, thus resetting the memory and where you left off.

I can't explain it well at all, haha, but it makes sense to me. Does the problem happen in the morning when you first turn your car on? Or randomly throughout the day travels?

Old 07-06-2009, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
I'm gunna go out on a limb here and guess that there is no easy fix or secret trick that will resolve your issue; you'll need to do a little troubleshooting.
  • The first thing is to try a different USB stick. Beg, borrow or steal a different brand/model USB stick. Put a podcast on there, use it for a few days, see if that fixes it. Alternatively, you may consider re-formatting your USB stick and trying again.
  • Perhaps your particular USB stick has an internal issue with the connector which causes is to lose connectivity when not in use.
  • Your USB cable in the Fit may need to be replaced (under warranty).
I'm not sure exactly how the head unit "remembers" where you left off on your USB drive, but it may do this by providing a consistent unit load (100mA, 5V when powered up, less when not up) indefinitely (even with the engine off). If this is true, the source of your issue could be your head unit or your flash drive. Between these two, they are losing connectivity.

Again, try a different flash drive first and see if this resolves your issue, then move on to the reality that your USB cable (at best) or your head unit (at worst) may be malfunctioning.

Last edited by reako; 07-07-2009 at 10:31 AM.