2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Installing 2nd Cigarette plug **PICS**

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Installing 2nd Cigarette plug **PICS**

Does anyone know what is the hole size for a standard cigarette plug? I want to drill & install a second cigarette plug right here and I don't know what tool do I need to cut the hole.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
I would install another OEM style outlet. This way you could use your current outlet/hole for exact sizing, and keep the nice OEM look.

Here's a start on the part numbers you'll need:

39620-TA0-003 - Cap Assy.

39624-SZ3-L01 - Socket Assy.

http://www.bernardiparts.com - then search for interior parts/instrument panel garnish (passenger side)

To cut the hole I would use a Dremel tool with a cutting kit.

Last edited by reako; 07-06-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
If anyone finds a location as good as that for the GD3 Fits lemme know, been thinking about doing this myself for some time.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:09 PM
What a great idea! How bout drilling a small hole in the center of the circle, and using one of these?

Last edited by GUESTO; 07-06-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:39 PM
What a great idea! How bout drilling a small hole in the center of the circle, and using one of these?
DO NOT use this drill bit, it is a spade bit and it is made for drilling rough holes on wood. It will tear the sh#t out of you dash. If you must drill a hole in plastic find a forstner bit and back the plastic up with a peice of scrap wood and drill through into the wood, it will be much smoother.

But instead of drilling a hole and going to all that work I just bought a neat item. It looks like a small coffee cup and it has 2 cig. plugs and 2 USB plugs in it and it just plugs in to your dash. I loose 1 of the front cup holders which I didn't really like and gain a plug and USB. It cost 15.00 at Canadian Tire. It works great, I can charge my MP3 or whatever in the car. I'll post a picture when I can.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by kroze
Does anyone know what is the hole size for a standard cigarette plug? I want to drill & install a second cigarette plug right here and I don't know what tool do I need to cut the hole.
How did you remove that socket ?

Old 10-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by reako
I would install another OEM style outlet. This way you could use your current outlet/hole for exact sizing, and keep the nice OEM look.

http://www.bernardiparts.com - then search for interior parts/instrument panel garnish (passenger side)

If you do not own a dremel, any other suggestions for drilling this for a nother factory socket ?

Old 10-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by polokid69
If you do not own a dremel, any other suggestions for drilling this for a nother factory socket ?
You can get a drill bit that can be used for cutting horizontally like a dremel at your local hardware store. It'll have the normal looking drill tip but has grooves on the side of the bit so you can cut once the bit is through the hole, its like using an over-sized dremel.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by polokid69
A drill......

Old 10-09-2009, 08:53 PM
one of the best tools i have found to drill in plastic is a uni bit or a stepped drill bit, that way you can go to the size you need

Old 10-09-2009, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by reako

The item you want to cut with is not a dremel. Use a Drill and a HOLE SAW. it is a specially designed drill for cutting larger diameter holes. I have used one of these a number of times to install Tweeters just below the window up front.

A TIP. If you run the hole saw BACKWARDS, it'll actually melt the plastic and make a nice smooth edge.

Another tip. Find the exact Center and get a hole punch or AWL and put a "dimple" in the plastic. Then use a small diameter drill bit to cut a pilot hole and work your way up in size until you get to the diameter of the inner hole saw bit. Once you have that diameter, run the hole-saw backwards to cut through the plastic. It takes a bit longer but works well.

(It works especially well on the soft material/Pleather just under the window and doesn't rip the pleather)

~SB

Old 10-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by specboy
The item you want to cut with is not a dremel. Use a Drill and a HOLE SAW. it is a specially designed drill for cutting larger diameter holes. I have used one of these a number of times to install Tweeters just below the window up front.

A TIP. If you run the hole saw BACKWARDS, it'll actually melt the plastic and make a nice smooth edge.

Another tip. Find the exact Center and get a hole punch or AWL and put a "dimple" in the plastic. Then use a small diameter drill bit to cut a pilot hole and work your way up in size until you get to the diameter of the inner hole saw bit. Once you have that diameter, run the hole-saw backwards to cut through the plastic. It takes a bit longer but works well.

(It works especially well on the soft material/Pleather just under the window and doesn't rip the pleather)

~SB

thanks, Ill get a bigger hole saw bit tomorrow, none of mine are big enough.
I have the sockets and have ordered the plastic flap. does the plastic part the socket fits in with it or is this something else I need to enter.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Hey Kroze: Can I inquire how you accessed that panel with the outlet in it. I see no obvious way to remove the flat panel above it, and didn't want to start prying or pulling without a clue. I'm interested in doing exactly what you're attempting, because I think splitters shoved in the single outlet look messy.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Dennis51
Hey Kroze: Can I inquire how you accessed that panel with the outlet in it. I see no obvious way to remove the flat panel above it, and didn't want to start prying or pulling without a clue. I'm interested in doing exactly what you're attempting, because I think splitters shoved in the single outlet look messy.
Heres a pic that might help you.

Taken from this thread: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...oster-lot.html

Just pry carefully on the top of the panel and it should pop off, you can wrap a flat-head screwdriver in tape to avoid scuffing.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:08 PM
I thought about doing that, but settled for a $6 Y connector at Wal-Mart. Works perfectly and stores in the glove box till I want it. Maybe not the factory look 24/7 but the extra wires plugged into a second outlet installed in the dash don't look much different than the Y connector. (but then I didn't have all the fun of doing a custom install, either)

Old 10-17-2009, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by kroze

Can I ask how you wired the two together ? I have 3 installed and need to wire them now .

Old 08-05-2010, 09:13 AM
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but how did you wire up the extra plugs? I have not bought them yet and was wondering what else I would need to get to wire them? Thanks.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:18 AM
wow too much work for my lazy a$$. I just bought one of these...

12V Cigarette Plug Splitters

Now my gps and radar/laser detector are plugged in all the time.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member
I have a second plug in the trunk. I use it to power my 12 volt cooler. +1 on the uni bit. The only way to cut super clean holes in plastic, acrylic, plexi, etc. They come in all kinds of sizes. If you've never used one before, go slow. The bit eats through plastic in no time. Another common name for them is step drill.

Name:  wtd8829gif.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  10.6 KB

Old 08-05-2010, 12:25 PM
mugen666 has the proper tool. Provide a 'drilled pilot hole' and go easy. High speed drilling into plastic is not for beginners and isn't even required to do a pro job.

When installing additional power outlets you can set them up in series by extending the hot lead to the next outlet and grounding at it's location.

Quick Reply: Installing 2nd Cigarette plug **PICS**