2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

iPhone/iPod listening to podcasts w/ USB connection

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
iPhone/iPod listening to podcasts w/ USB connection

Hi guys and girls,

I'm considering getting a Fit after about 10 years with my current vehicle. I understand that the Fit w/ Navigation has a USB connection that allows you to listen to your music using the Navigation interface, but what about podcasts? On the road, I'm listening to podcasts about 95% of the time (rather than music), and I was curious what the experience is like. Will the Nav screen play podcasts from your iPod/iPhone just as easily as it will play music?

Old 07-01-2009, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
I wasn't too sure about this, so I decided to investigate for you. Apparently, there's nothing in the iPod on the menu screen for podcasts, but they are available under artists and albums. I made a video on my iPhone 3GS to kind of show you what it's like. As you can tell in the video, you can either play all podcasts, or you can play one at a time. I picked one at a time in my video, so I wasn't able to use the steering wheel controls to move to the next podcast, so if you want to play multiple ones, you can either select all podcasts, or you can just make a playlist of the podcasts you want to listen to in iTunes (or make an on-the-go playlist on the iPod), and play the playlist from the Fit's screen. Also, you don't have to use the Fit's screen to select podcasts. You can unplug the iPod from the Fit, select what you want, and plug it back in. It'll pick up right wherever the iPod is at. Here's a link to the video: YouTube - Playing podcasts on a Honda Fit

Old 07-01-2009, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
I don't have navigation,

but the fit does not recognize podcasts as it's own group. You would have to put the podcasts in their own playlist or at least have the iPod playing the podcast and then scroll through your other podcasts.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blazej
but the fit does not recognize podcasts as it's own group. You would have to put the podcasts in their own playlist or at least have the iPod playing the podcast and then scroll through your other podcasts.
Did you try looking for your podcasts under artists or albums, because they should be there. As you can see in the video, mine are there.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:01 AM
I don't have an iPhone but podcasts play fine on my G1 and via USB memory stick. The biggest problem I have is that fast forwarding is slooooooow so if you are listening to a long podcast be careful not to accidentally hit "next track" button!

Old 07-02-2009, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SheepNutz
I wasn't too sure about this, so I decided to investigate for you. Apparently, there's nothing in the iPod on the menu screen for podcasts, but they are available under artists and albums. I made a video on my iPhone 3GS to kind of show you what it's like. As you can tell in the video, you can either play all podcasts, or you can play one at a time. I picked one at a time in my video, so I wasn't able to use the steering wheel controls to move to the next podcast, so if you want to play multiple ones, you can either select all podcasts, or you can just make a playlist of the podcasts you want to listen to in iTunes (or make an on-the-go playlist on the iPod), and play the playlist from the Fit's screen. Also, you don't have to use the Fit's screen to select podcasts. You can unplug the iPod from the Fit, select what you want, and plug it back in. It'll pick up right wherever the iPod is at. Here's a link to the video: YouTube - Playing podcasts on a Honda Fit

Thanks so much! That was above and beyond what I could have hoped for, and it was extremely helpful. I noticed that a commenter said something about using smart playlists, so I will definitely check that out as well. I generally don't switch between podcasts frequently though, so I don't mind much if I need to re-select each podcast episode individually (since most are 30 minutes are more).

Thanks again.