2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Which new daily driver? 2009 Honda Fit vs. 2009 Scion xB

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 10:46 AM
OP, I'm in much the same position as you - I owned a 2004 Scion xB that I drove for a bit over 3 years and 105k miles. Mine was a 5spd manual. I played with aftermarket suspensions and wheel/tire combos (aiming for proper handling, not for looks), autocrossed it, road tripped it with 4 people + cargo doing 80-90mph with the AC on, filled it to the ceiling with stuff on many occasions, moved 3 times using it as my primary moving vehicle. I ended up selling it when my commute went from 25 miles each way to less than 2 - I had a couple older cars that I owned outright that made more financial sense to keep at the time.

I feel like the Fit is MUCH more of a spiritual successor to the original xB than the new xB is. The gripes I had with the original xB: no cruise control (even optional) when I bought mine, high and shallow cargo area with the back seats up - things would tend to fall out when the hatch was opened because the load floor was higher than the bumper, no AUX jack on the stereo.

The Fit fixes all of these things and more. Better gas mileage, slightly better power, much more fun to drive in stock form, higher quality interior, much more versatile cargo configurations, more cargo space with the back seats up, longer maintenance intervals, stock stereo has capability to control both an iPod or a flash drive, more storage compartments and on the whole a very well-thought-out interior - really the Fit is everything I loved about the xB, while fixing any gripes I had about it.

The new xB - not a fan. Mediocre gas mileage, 600+ pounds heavier than the original xB, questionable looks (my opinion), 4spd automatic vs. the Fit's 5spd (not an issue for me, my xB was a MT and my Fit will be as well) - it's turned into a minivan more than a fun and tossable small car.

Your opinion obviously varies from mine, but I feel the new xB was a poor substitute for the wonderfully quirky original xB. The philosophy behind both vehicles is completely different....the Fit Sport is a much better 1st-gen xB successor than the 2nd-gen xB is.

I'll be buying my MT Fit Sport in 3 weeks when the CARS legislation finally goes through - trading in my beater 1996 Cherokee for the $4500 voucher.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Thanks for all the input guys, you guys (especially TafettaWhite) have made the decision easier for me.

As of right now, I think I'll be going with the Honda Fit Sport, unless I change my mind again (which I doubt). The fuel efficiency, versatility, and design are hard to pass up. I'm sure I'll be very happy with it.

I'm looking to purchase one within the next 3-6 mos, I just have to get my finances in order first. They'll probably have the 2010 models by then.

Thanks again.

myke

Last edited by IBJanky; 07-03-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by IBJanky
Just a quick question for you 2009 Fit Sport w/ navi folks...

Let's say you have your iPod hooked up, and you're driving in the highway... can you change whatever you're listening to while moving? For example, can you change the artist, or playlist while the vehicle is in motion?

It sounds like a stupid question, but the reason I'm asking is because I've heard from xB owners with the Navigation unit, that they can't change stuff while the vehicle is in motion. So stupid if you ask me.

myke
Yeah, you can change anything while driving. You can basically bring up the iPod menu on the navi screen. Toyotas must be absolutely stupid with their navi systems. My parents have a prius with navi, and they told me that they can't add destinations while the vehicle is in motion, which is crazy to me. My navi paid for itself in one roadtrip. Being able to find restaurants and shell stations along my routes while driving on the interstate was great. Also, I wouldn't worry about the DVD based navigation. The updated discs that come out every fall do cost money, but the database is pretty well up to date, so you could easily get by updating it every few years or so.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Thanks for all the input guys, you guys (especially TafettaWhite) have made the decision easier for me.

As of right now, I think I'll be going with the Honda Fit Sport, unless I change my mind again (which I doubt). The fuel efficiency, versatility, and design are hard to pass up. I'm sure I'll be very happy with it.

I'm looking to purchase one within the next 3-6 mos, I just have to get my finances in order first. They'll probably have the 2010 models by then.

Thanks again.

myke
You're certainly welcome. If you have any other questions or doubts, post again. Chances are one of us will have an answer or know where to find one. And everyone will have an opinion.

Keep us all updated too. Where you go to shop, what kinds of financing you're looking at. People here have had all kinds of experiences when they purchase. Good, bad, problematic, and quick and easy. There's a whole section on dealer reviews.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:00 PM
You definitely made the right chocice...the FourTwo is a sucker bet. $15k for two seats and 40 MPG when you can pay the same (or even less) and get 4 seats and not-much-worse fuel economy. If Smart could price the FourTwo at $5000 it'd be a no brainer but as long as it costs the same as (or more than) other more practical subcompacts, it's going to be an exercise in lunacy.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jzerocsk
You definitely made the right chocice...the FourTwo is a sucker bet. $15k for two seats and 40 MPG when you can pay the same (or even less) and get 4 seats and not-much-worse fuel economy. If Smart could price the FourTwo at $5000 it'd be a no brainer but as long as it costs the same as (or more than) other more practical subcompacts, it's going to be an exercise in lunacy.
You got that right. Even at 10K...but with a hybrid motor or 80 mpg gas engine.

The only way I could seriously consider that car would have been if I was stuck with little to no parallel street parking. Because that little thing can fit in tiny spots legally that other cars cannot fit in. And having to do laps around the block to find that tiny space, the vehicle has to have good mileage.

It makes for a good little commuter, IF it was more dependable and got way better mileage.

I would have bought it in a heartbeat if it had been made by Honda and had the same dependability and reliability. Sort of a Fit Jr. Just remove the back seats and have the front seats and the hatch, with the passenger seat being a magic seat with compartment underneath.

Bonus if they could also make it so the seats fully reclined like they did in the GD.

Say, is that a car anyone would buy, would anyone here consider it? If there was something like a Fit Jr? With a hybrid engine that got maybe 50 mpg? And had a passenger magic seat, no back seats, just the cargo space and a hatch?

I'm thinking the same styling as the current FIT.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
You got that right. Even at 10K...but with a hybrid motor or 80 mpg gas engine.

The only way I could seriously consider that car would have been if I was stuck with little to no parallel street parking. Because that little thing can fit in tiny spots legally that other cars cannot fit in. And having to do laps around the block to find that tiny space, the vehicle has to have good mileage.

It makes for a good little commuter, IF it was more dependable and got way better mileage.

I would have bought it in a heartbeat if it had been made by Honda and had the same dependability and reliability. Sort of a Fit Jr. Just remove the back seats and have the front seats and the hatch, with the passenger seat being a magic seat with compartment underneath.

Bonus if they could also make it so the seats fully reclined like they did in the GD.

Say, is that a car anyone would buy, would anyone here consider it? If there was something like a Fit Jr? With a hybrid engine that got maybe 50 mpg? And had a passenger magic seat, no back seats, just the cargo space and a hatch?

I'm thinking the same styling as the current FIT.
I'd probably buy that. Unfortunately, they're banking on the novelty of the car alone and not features & pricing. My wife was going to trade in her xA for a Fortwo a while back, but it just wasn't worth it.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:58 PM
I've been thinking of buying a new car sooner than expected.

I'm one step closer. Just got pre-approved with my credit union for a new car loan.

I should be getting a bank draft (blank check) in the mail within the next few days.

Now I just have to sell my current vehicle, or trade it in.

myke

Old 07-08-2009, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
Not unless you really want the stability control. I don't think the OEM navigation worths it. I got an after market navigation HU and installed it myself. It works a lot better and definitely cheaper.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:53 PM
dgs
Not to be rude, but I have never understood posts like these on various car forums. If you're deciding on buying a big investment like a car I would think the best way to determine which one is right for you is to narrow down what you want and then go test drive them. Make it a really thorough test however, at least for an hour if you can. This way you will you know if the seat will work for you on a longer drive, and you'll be able to determine how much wind and road noise the car has. Take it over bumpy pavement, on the freeway, around sharp bends etc. The big mistake people make when they buy a car is they test drive it for like 10 minutes and then after owning it they start complaining about stuff like seat comfort, wind/road noise, suspension tuning, braking, acceleration etc. Test the heck out of the car on every kind of road you can find so there are no regrets after you sign the paperwork.

They're both great cars for daily driving, but you're on a Fit board, so I think you already know what people here are going to tell you.

Last edited by dgs; 07-08-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
I've been thinking of buying a new car sooner than expected.

I'm one step closer. Just got pre-approved with my credit union for a new car loan.

I should be getting a bank draft (blank check) in the mail within the next few days.

Now I just have to sell my current vehicle, or trade it in.

myke
Wow Myke!

That takes care of a whole lot of work! No fussing over financing, interest rates, etc at the dealership!

You'll usually get less trading the car in, but sometimes it's nice to just get it done and over with. Can depend on what kind of car and what your own personal situation is. You still have to insure it while you wait for a buyer. You still have to find parking for it. And you still have to keep it fairly clean, if you might get a buyer at any moment who wants to check it out...

Oh, and the time to do all the above as well as dealing with incoming calls, and spending time selling your former car.

There are areas that prohibit vehicles on the street from displaying "for sale" signs. For good reasons. Sometimes a particular area becomes an unofficial auto row where everyone parks their car for sale.

Then you pay to advertise. And wait. While it might not SEEM like an out-of-pocket expense, it is. It's YOUR TIME. All time has value.

And, once you have the new car, you no longer have the option to trade in the old car. You want a good price on the new car AND a good trade in on the old car if you do it all at the dealership. Edmunds has articles on trading vehicles and buying new cars if you want to browse them in case there is a hidden gem tip you didn't know about.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dgs
Not to be rude, but I have never understood posts like these on various car forums. If you're deciding on buying a big investment like a car I would think the best way to determine which one is right for you is to narrow down what you want and then go test drive them. Make it a really thorough test however, at least for an hour if you can. This way you will you know if the seat will work for you on a longer drive, and you'll be able to determine how much wind and road noise the car has. Take it over bumpy pavement, on the freeway, around sharp bends etc. The big mistake people make when they buy a car is they test drive it for like 10 minutes and then after owning it they start complaining about stuff like seat comfort, wind/road noise, suspension tuning, braking, acceleration etc. Test the heck out of the car on every kind of road you can find so there are no regrets after you sign the paperwork.

They're both great cars for daily driving, but you're on a Fit board, so I think you already know what people here are going to tell you.
Ah, but what better place to talk about a potential new vehicle than on a site that had many current owners. If everyone is having problems with a particular aspect of the car, which is only noticeable after having the car for awhile, that won't show up at the dealership.

Like if the doors fall off at 5,000 miles. OK, that's not realistic. How about the glove box rattle? That's pretty common. And that doesn't show up for awhile. Or the lint brush seat material? That might not show up either at the dealership or even be something you'd think about looking into.

Since those are common problems, how do we solve them? That's not something the dealership will cover, like "Oh, by the way, your glove box may or may not eventually rattle and your seats will probably grab every bit of lint there is in the universe".

The dealership might not even KNOW about the Clazzio seat covers. I didn't until it was brought up here.

And if I'd spent more time here before buying, I would have bought my floor and cargo mats from one of the places that offers the discount. Not from the dealer. The floor mats need installation (for the drivers side), but the cargo mat just drops in. I wouldn't have done the mat installation, but I am completely capable of opening a box and placing the contents of the box in the cargo area.

This place is a VAST resource.

And a lot of people have more than one car and sometimes the other car isn't a Fit. LOL! Someone could very well have both vehicles that Myke is considering. Or they may have considered both vehicles too, why did they choose one over the other?

See what I mean?

Old 07-09-2009, 01:21 AM
Thanks for chiming in TafettaWhite

Some guy came over today and looked at my car. He says more likely than not, that he's gonna buy it. We'll see what happens though. I don't like counting my chickens before they hatch.

If the deal does go through, then it'll be smooth sailing from here. Then it's just finding the car with the color/options I want.

Wish me luck...

On another note... when will the 2010 models hit the showroom floor? Should I wait, or just get the 2009?

myke

Old 07-09-2009, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for chiming in TafettaWhite

Some guy came over today and looked at my car. He says more likely than not, that he's gonna buy it. We'll see what happens though. I don't like counting my chickens before they hatch.

If the deal does go through, then it'll be smooth sailing from here. Then it's just finding the car with the color/options I want.

Wish me luck...

On another note... when will the 2010 models hit the showroom floor? Should I wait, or just get the 2009?

myke
I used the Vehix search and some generic Long Beach zip code to find two white auto Sport Nav...They're in NEVADA! 200 plus miles away. And I don't know what the rules are for buying in another state.

Checking my area and stretching out, there's one in Carmichael (somewhere near Sacramento):
2009 Honda Fit Sport w/Navi For Sale by Carmichael Honda in Citrus Heights, CA

You could probably have it shipped to you on a vehicle transport. You could fly up, drive back. Which could be a mini-vacation if you can do it in a three-day block. Taking your time driving back, stopping along the way to see some sights.

I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing (a longer trip) for breaking a car. The other members here could probably advise you better on that.

You can even fly up, do the deal, transport the car, and fly back. All this adds on cost and time, but if your current car is moving fast (being sold) you will need something fast too.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:48 AM
5 Year Member
There is the one in Vegas, but they are asking more than MSRP:
2009 Honda Fit Sport w/Navi For Sale by Desert Honda in Las Vegas, NV

Old 07-09-2009, 07:50 AM
5 Year Member
Old 07-09-2009, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
Something I hadn't considered, but it makes sense...
Used car prices up again in June, but for all the wrong reasons - Drive On: A conversation about the cars and trucks we drive - USATODAY.com

If new car sales are down, dealers aren't getting any used cars in to sell. Which increases demand of used cars. And the prices of used cars.

And gas prices are not super high, nor are they super low, meaning there is a market for all previously owned cars.

There are fewer rental cars and their prices have gone up:
Report: Rental Car Prices Rising - U.S. News Rankings and Reviews

And new trucks/SUVs are in short supply:
GM Running Out of Trucks and SUVs - U.S. News Rankings and Reviews

This is all good news for you, Myke. This may help to solidify your deal for the car you have now.

As far as waiting or buying now, remember that the CARS program has started with some makers. Which could be their loss (the makers):
Hyundai is First to Accept Cash-for-Clunkers Trade-Ins - U.S. News Rankings and Reviews

It officially begins on July 23. At which point a whole bunch of vehicles could disappear from lots. The Fit (price shown is for the base automatic) is one of the recommended vehicles to choose under the CARS program by Consumer Reports.
Cash for clunkers: Recommended cars that qualify for a voucher: Consumer Reports Cars Blog

The CARS main site:
CARS.gov - Car Allowance Rebate System - Home - Formerly Referred to as “Cash for Clunkers”

If you glance at the Consumer Reports list, you'll notice that the FIT is the lowest price vehicle on the list. AND, it is second highest in mpg that is NOT a hybrid. I'm sure that many people will opt for the Sport over the Base and perhaps the Nav over the Sport...which could leave you with very little selection to choose from...anywhere in the U.S. LOL!

I would also not be surprised if dealers decide to inflate their prices via dealer markup, as soon as the CARS vouchers become available.

You get to decide if you want to take a chance on any of that happening. Also, there is no guarantee that white will be available for 2010. Remember that white was not available on the 2008 model, only on the 2007 model. And then again on 2009. I'd think that white would always be available, but it isn't. I was surprised myself when looking around, finding that several cars I liked were not available in white. I started looking during the 2008 model year. No, I don't want pearl white or white that shines blue or anything other than flat white (although I really love the triple tan VW Beetle Convertible)

Old 07-09-2009, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit has also had one of it's worse selling months in June too, declining about 46% from the previous year. According to truecar.com, the average price that the Fit has been selling for has declined to it's lowest point yet.

If I had the money and the credit score, I would totally buy right now.

Last edited by Vanct; 07-09-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Last week I got a quote for $18,347 for a 2009 Honda Fit Sport A/T with Navi (includes the $710 destination fee already)

Today I get a quote for $18,847 for the same car (includes the $710 destination fee already).

I guess Honda had a $500 incentive last week, and it just ended.

What do you guys think of the new price? Still decent? Or should I try and wait it out?

I'll try to get more quotes from other dealers in the meantime.

myke

Last edited by IBJanky; 07-09-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
Don't ask them for a quote, ask them for their best OTD (Out the Door) offer, which includes everything you pay in the end, including taxes.

Here is what I have on my Edmunds.com calc:

$19,177 (invoice + $710 dest. fee)
+ $1, 582 (8.25% CA tax rate)
+ $288 (title and registration)
= $21,047 OTD

If I were you, I would want to pay no more than $21,100 total. I bet a couple of dealers can get even lower than that, though, check every single Honda dealership in your area.

Quick Reply: Which new daily driver? 2009 Honda Fit vs. 2009 Scion xB