2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Which new daily driver? 2009 Honda Fit vs. 2009 Scion xB

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 07:02 PM
my m/t fit sport was more than that without navi but you should definitely be able to get it for under $20000

Old 07-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I have a friend that has a Scion X B and it is a nice car but I think the Fit is better in the handling and especially in resale - major in the MPG and
the modding potential is much higher. The 2009 Honda Fits are really nice and I think you will be smiling after you take it for a test drive.

Cat :x

Old 07-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Have you used the Comparison tool at Edmunds yet?:
Comparator - Getting Started

The fuel economy difference is a big one, but it will also depend on how much you drive.

A few noticeable differences using the "Comparator"...

The FIT has front and rear stabilizer bars (in the Sport/NAV/VSA)

The FIT has a five-speed, shiftable auto transmission (Sport), while the xB is a four-speed.

The xB has driver height adjustment.

The FIT has tilt/telescope steering wheel.

xB has rear seat heat ducts, the FIT has heat that comes from under the front seats (a vent).

xB has rear disk brakes, while the FIT has drum.

FIT Sport has the front reading/map lights.

FIT has daytime running lamps, and fog lights, the xB doesn't, but the xB has those side mirror turn signals, and the FIT doesn't.

The anti-theft alarm is standard on the FIT, optional on the xB.

This review mentions the C-pillar blind spot:
2009 Scion xB 5dr Wgn Man Review

There is more passenger room in the xB. It's body is wider, taller, longer than the FIT. This might make no difference at all, if it's a car just for you. This might make all the difference in the world, if you have a partner and THREE kids and take long drives with the whole family, like going on vacation or always have the kids with you (and they are big kids, not little ones). If it's two children, either will be fine.

Last, image...

What image do you want to project? The FIT is used by everyone, from young to old. The Scion brand is marketed towards youth only, and that "chopped top" look is...well, kind of hoodlum looking in my opinion. Vaguely like this:
http://car.tag2006.com/images/100_03...hood-scoop.jpg

I loved the old version of the Scion xB in it's glorious boxiness. I liked the xA too. When they changed the body style, they lost my business. I sent them a note and the response was that they had received MANY complaints about the "new" body style.

The old xB was another versatile vehicle, much like both versions of the FIT. Anyone could drive it, without being pegged as any particular image. The vehicle can be used stock or modified a little or a lot to reflect what the owner really likes. The old xB made sense in terms of accessability and styling for all.

Now, I just cannot get over the appearance, both the xB and xD are NOT vehicles I would want to drive.

Would it make any sense to say that it appears the xB is trying TOO HARD to be cool? It's NOT a street rod. Scion doesn't have a long history with custom vehicles in it's distant past like Chevy or Ford.

Oh yeah and there is ONE backup light, off center on the xB. It looks stupid. I cannot stand asymmetry. Obviously I despise the Cube.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
Just look at them. I do not understand the design of the xB. Is it a mini whale? If you are going to get an xB, get the first generation.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
Wink

Originally Posted by IBJanky
Hi all!

My name is Michael and I live in Long Beach, CA. I have been seriously considering getting a new daily driver and these are my needs/wants:

Less than $20K new
4 doors
Automatic transmission
Excellent fuel economy, and requires regular fuel only
Lots of cargo room and utility
Low maintenance costs
High reliability
Factory iPod support & navigation

I’ve been doing a lot of research and I’ve narrowed it down to these two vehicles:

2009 Honda Fit Sport w/ Nav

2009 Scion xB w/ Nav

I’ll want to purchase within this year to take advantage of the Obama’s new state tax deduction. I also plan to keep the car for many years. I’m not going to be racing around, I tend to drive pretty relaxed and laid back. No track days either, LOL. Not really into modding anymore, so it’ll probably stay stock for the most part. Basically just need a versatile commuter that’ll last until Armageddon

I used to have a 2006 Scion xB and it was a great daily commuter. But due to some unforeseen circumstances, I had to sell it.

I recently went to a local Scion dealer to check out the 2009 (2nd generation) Scion xB and it was pretty nice. Has the bigger motor (2.4L) and had a lot of neat features standard. It was basically an improved version of my 1st generation xB. The only gripes I’ve been reading about is the so-so fuel economy (mid-20’s average)

I also have been researching the newly redesigned 2009 Honda Fit. To be honest, I didn’t even consider this car at first because I didn’t really know much about it before I started researching. It sounds pretty promising though. It has amazing cargo space for such a small looking car, and has all kinds of rear seat configurations to accommodate various things, very versatile. Also gets better gas mileage than the xB, which is not a surprise as the Honda has a 1.5L motor. I’ve been reading of people getting close to 40mpg on this thing. I have not actually test driven the Fit, but I do see them around the streets of SoCal, and they look pretty slick. I still have to go a dealer to check it out inside and for an actual test drive.

What do you guys think? Any helpful input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

myke

WOW if you considered the xB, and like it, you should probably buy it. That is an ugly car, but if you like it, enjoy!

Old 07-02-2009, 01:01 AM
So I went and visited my local Honda dealer today after work to check out the Fit. I was able to test drive a 2009 Fit Sport w/ Navi.

The guy was pretty helpful, although because I was doing a lot of research on my own, I was able to figure out a lot of things without his help.

First off, the Fit is quite deceiving. Looking at it from the outside, it looks like a typical small car without a lot of room inside. But when you fold down the rear seats, there's a LOT of cargo room back there, although the xB noticeably has more. I do love the versatility of the cargo area, much like the xB, and the fact that you can fold the rear seats up to accommodate taller items (which the xB doesn't do).

I like the dash layout of the Fit better than the xB. The dash on the Fit is just sleeker and more updated looking.

The seats were nice and supportive. But as far as the materials used, I felt the xB has slightly better materials used on the seats.

The stock navi stereo worked well, although I was not able to hook up my iPod because I didn't have an iPod USB cable with me at the time. I loved the steering wheel controls. One neat feature that the salesguy showed me was the voice recognition capability. Granted, I may never use this, but it's nice to know that it's there.

As far as the driving experience... it's definitely sportier than the xB. The xB was a comfortable ride and all, but with the Fit, I felt more connected to the road. Maybe because I felt I was lower to the ground?

Power is good enough for me as it's just gonna be for zipping around town.

Visibility is pretty good with the Fit. There's so many windows that you really don't have any major blind spots. Speaking of visibility, sitting inside the car, I couldn't really tell where the front bumper was, since it's so sloped downwards. Maybe it's just something that takes getting used to? The rear was no problem.

The paddle shifters are nice to have, but I may not use it as much as some of you guys.

Overall, it's a nice little car and offers a lot for the money.

I like both the Fit and the xB. I don't think I can go wrong with either choice. I think I'll go back to the Scion dealership and check out the xB again just to have a more informed decision, now that I have experienced the Fit in person.

myke

Old 07-02-2009, 01:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
Obviously I despise the Cube.

As you might have noticed, a common theme among FF.net users is that they have all done a TON of research! I'm exactly the same way. Research, speadsheets, test drives, etc. I absolutely LOVE my Fit and feel like my diligence was rewarded each and every time I'm in the driver's seat.

I would advise against the factory navi, however. I never liked systems that required a DVD. The VSA and steering wheel controls are quite nice with the package, but are they worth the extra cash? If you really want an in-dash navi, I'd go aftermarket. I just have a Garmin Nuvi mounted on the dash and it works great for my needs.

Keep us posted on how things go and your impressions after the test drives.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by Trogdor!

As you might have noticed, a common theme among FF.net users is that they have all done a TON of research! I'm exactly the same way. Research, speadsheets, test drives, etc. I absolutely LOVE my Fit and feel like my diligence was rewarded each and every time I'm in the driver's seat.

I would advise against the factory navi, however. I never liked systems that required a DVD. The VSA and steering wheel controls are quite nice with the package, but are they worth the extra cash? If you really want an in-dash navi, I'd go aftermarket. I just have a Garmin Nuvi mounted on the dash and it works great for my needs.

Keep us posted on how things go and your impressions after the test drives.
I know exactly what you mean... all this research is driving me nuts. I think I'm more undecided than ever
As far as the factory navi... what's wrong with a DVD based system? Just the extra cost?

I'm a big fan of integrated, all-in-one, and seamless components. The factory unit for both the Fit and xB does just that.

I would consider getting an aftermarket unit, but I have a feeling that it might just get stolen. Unfortunately, I don't have a garage and have to park in the street. The last time I had an aftermarket headunit with a 7" screen on my old xB and it got stolen

I think the chances of the factory unit getting stolen is less, since it won't work with just any car? Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part?

myke

Old 07-02-2009, 01:20 AM
Just a quick question for you 2009 Fit Sport w/ navi folks...

Let's say you have your iPod hooked up, and you're driving in the highway... can you change whatever you're listening to while moving? For example, can you change the artist, or playlist while the vehicle is in motion?

It sounds like a stupid question, but the reason I'm asking is because I've heard from xB owners with the Navigation unit, that they can't change stuff while the vehicle is in motion. So stupid if you ask me.

myke

Old 07-02-2009, 03:46 AM
5 Year Member
I know exactly what you mean... all this research is driving me nuts. I think I'm more undecided than ever
As far as the factory navi... what's wrong with a DVD based system? Just the extra cost?

I'm a big fan of integrated, all-in-one, and seamless components. The factory unit for both the Fit and xB does just that.

I would consider getting an aftermarket unit, but I have a feeling that it might just get stolen. Unfortunately, I don't have a garage and have to park in the street. The last time I had an aftermarket headunit with a 7" screen on my old xB and it got stolen

I think the chances of the factory unit getting stolen is less, since it won't work with just any car? Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part?

myke
You'll get to the point where you know you've made the right choice. I've found spreadsheets to be incredibly helpful. Besides the list of features that each vehicle has/doesn't have, give each feature a value of importance. Also note the little things that you notice during the test drives (eg. ride quality, seat material, etc). Add everything up and you may just have your clear winner... or more confusion.

I don't like the DVD based systems because you can't have a movie playing while you're driving (does the Honda navi play movies?). In reality, I would likely never even want to play a movie, but I'd like to have the option. Also, even though I have my iPod hooked up, I tend to keep a CD loaded at all times (I hate switching stuff out). BTW, another cool thing about my Garmin is that I've got a little matching Fit as my vehicle icon!

Old 07-02-2009, 07:13 AM
5 Year Member
Hey Myke, a Conestoga wagon has better seat materials than the FIT

There's always an aftermarket leather cover option, which will add on at least $1,000 to your price, but may make you MUCH happier in the long run.

Red:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3323155

Orange and black:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-present/43024-custom-2-tone-leather-interior.html

Creamy beige/tan:
http://www.carspace.com/vchiu/Albums/Honda%20FIT%20(chinese%20model)/fit_front2.JPG/page/photo.html

Black, red stitching, perforated:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-present/34642-mugen-leather-seat-covers.html

Black, red stitching, non-Mugen:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-present/35090-white-jazz-fit-rs.html

Prices for GD3 Katzkin:
Leather_Interiors

You can also check out the Argentina Honda Fit, which comes with leather. Last time I was there it had scant pics, but check it out anyway via:
Honda Worldwide : Honda Motor Co.,Ltd.

Myke, also check out your INSURANCE RATES. What are the two different vehicles going to cost you to insure? You already know the xB is going to cost you more in gas. The insurance rate for one of your choices might be a lot more. I don't know which.

I have the base, and it is less than the Sport for insurance.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:32 AM
5 Year Member
Trying to do Argentina pics or links...
Leather back seat:

I love their exterior color selections too
Honda Motor de Argentina

That link may or may not work. Click FIT and then click Colores. They have a couple of greens that I love. They are "nature" colors, I guess.

No spoilers, no side skirts, no air dam. It looks more like a luxury car. They even have a variance on the controls:

If you do have the money and are keeping the car a long time, I'd say to go for the leather interior that looks very similar to the Argentina model. It looks nice. It wouldn't hold the lint. Nothing too trendy or hard to clean. Just a classic leather interior.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:01 AM
5 Year Member
Speaking of visibility, sitting inside the car, I couldn't really tell where the front bumper was, since it's so sloped downwards. Maybe it's just something that takes getting used to? The rear was no problem.

myke

Yeah! I'm still parking about 2-3 feet back farther than I could from the end of a parking spot. And I've had the car six months.

I think I will just have to head out to a parking lot after hours and practice. Seriously.

A lot that doesn't have tire concrete bumpers, just striping. And practice pulling into diagonal and parallel spots until I get it right.

That IS something to consider as well, with the Sport and it's lower front air dam thing. You don't want to hit those concrete tire stops. So, you might want to head out for parking practice too. Learning what inclines or dips have to be driven over with a bit more care.

One of the fellas here made fun of me for scraping my BASE lower front end. It's much higher up than the stock Sport. But it can happen.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
I would go Fit if you want better MPG. The new XB has gotten so big and heavy it's not exactly fuel efficient.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
[quote=IBJanky;687618]
The seats were nice and supportive. But as far as the materials used, I felt the xB has slightly better materials used on the seats.

Speaking of visibility, sitting inside the car, I couldn't really tell where the front bumper was, since it's so sloped downwards. Maybe it's just something that takes getting used to? The rear was no problem.

You get use to not seeing the front bumper, I just look at the car beside me and pull up until our side mirrors are even, usually I am still a little far back.

As for the seats, I ordered the Clazzio seat covers and they are awesome, pics of my car on page 5 - Good news is Clazzio makes covers for the Scion as well
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gaug...at-covers.html

Good luck with your choice, sounds like you will be pretty happy with whatever you choose.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Maybe it's because I'm short (5'7") but I can never see the end of the front end. Or in a non-hatchback, the end of the rear bumper unless there's a spoiler that sticks up.

Though I don't usually have trouble "sensing" where the car ends.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Insurance is also cheaper if I went with the Fit.

$586/6 mos for the Honda Fit Sport vs. $650/6 mos for the Scion xB

myke

Old 07-02-2009, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
Insurance is also cheaper if I went with the Fit.

$586/6 mos for the Honda Fit Sport vs. $650/6 mos for the Scion xB

myke
If the mpg is better and the insurance is less expensive, it would seem like a no-brainer. However, *SOMETHING* is drawing you to the Scion.

For me I checked the Smart car and the FIT. Smart was better on gas, and less to insure. It was much less reliable. And it makes an ideal city/commuter car, but I don't commute. I drive very little. And I have found that the options by going with the FIT are MUCH MUCH better for me.

No, I don't generally haul large items. But I have recently picked up quite a few things that would never have fit in the Smart. Like four-foot tall plants. Furniture. Etc.

The amount that I drive is very small. I just hit 1,000 miles at 6 months. Even so, I want good mileage. FIT has it. The Scion is not so good.

------------

So, here is what to do. First, how much do you HAVE to drive? Miles per year. And what is the cost of gas where you are? How much is city and how much is highway?
Side-by-Side Comparison

Using their preset numbers, you'll save about $300.00 per year in gas. Customize the numbers to get a better idea of how much you'll save.

-----------

Remember when gas was high? Consider it always being that high, or higher. Use the highest price shown at the bottom ($7.41) to recalculate at Fuel Economy:
Weekly Retail PrPemium Motor Gasoline Prices (Including Taxes)

Ahhhh, now the tables turn. Using the preset numbers...
Fit vs Cube:
Cost to drive 25 Miles
$6.18
$7.72
Fuel to Drive 25 Miles
0.83 gal
1.04 gal
Cost of a Fill-up
$70.69
$93.37
Miles on a Tank
286 miles
302 miles
Tank Size
10.6 gal
14.0 gal
Annual Fuel Cost*
$3705
$4631

Now it really matters, doesn't it? The MPG rating really matters when the prices get high. That's a big jump from where we are. But the prices have inched up over the years. And they will keep doing so. Today's fuel efficient vehicle will be tomorrow's gas guzzler (I hope).

-------------

High gas prices hit small town USA - Mar. 24, 2008

It's a matter of time before it affects us all in that degree.

Take what you save in insurance and gas, and shove it in a saving account. Let your money work for you. So you won't have to work as hard.

--------------

In the past six months, how often have you had a passenger? Two passengers? Three, four, five passengers? In the past six months, how often have you needed to haul something that would not fit in the FIT but would have fit in the Scion?

---------------

The comparison between FIT and xB is kind of hard. The comparison is better along the lines of similar cars, like the xD and the FIT. And I guess you aren't considering the xD. Why?

Old 07-02-2009, 11:06 PM
the fit. handsdown. the price you mentioned seems reasonable.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:29 AM
5 Year Member
P.S. Myke, you don't have to answer any of the questions that I posed here in the forum. Those are just thinking points, things I ran across myself when I was deciding. It took me a year to decide.

I calculated and recalculated. I read reviews and owner feedback. I felt like I was buying TOO MUCH CAR with the FIT. Because I do not have passengers or a family or big dogs or lots of cargo to move. That is why I considered the Smart car.

I looked at the Consumer Reports reliability page:
http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies/Reliability.jpg

Looked at the Consumers Reports fuel economy:
Best & worst cars review, fuel-efficient vehicles

Ratings:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...nder-25000.htm

The FIT kept showing up consistently. Good mileage. Good reliability. Recommended. The FIT Sport showed up on the COVER of the Consumer Reports Annual Auto Issue (which I bought).

Best VALUE:
New car value: Learn which models offer the most

" But according to a new Consumer Reports analysis, the Prius is one of the best values you can buy... Rounding out the top five models in overall value are the Mini Cooper, Volkswagen Rabbit, Honda Civic EX, and Honda Fit "

Likewise, the reviews kept steering me away from the Smart:
" A low price doesn't necessarily make a car a good value. Of the more than 30 small cars that we've recently tested, for example, the budget-priced $15,355 Smart ForTwo and the $16,470 Chevrolet Aveo5 were at the bottom of the value list, primarily because their low test scores mean they aren't very good cars. Even the $15,543 Toyota Yaris sedan, which has one of the lowest five-year owner costs, did not make the grade in value because of its mediocre road-test score. "

Quick Reply: Which new daily driver? 2009 Honda Fit vs. 2009 Scion xB