2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Holy Cow! I didn't know it was a chick car.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
Any small car that isn't a sports car is going to be considered a girl car. So what? I get a lot of envious looks and questions at the gas station.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:22 PM
may be a chick car but i got 2 compliments/conversations on the fit today, one from a guy with a turbo'd integra, so it can't be all that bad

Old 06-30-2009, 07:23 PM
+1 on the tC's being girl cars and add to the list celicas. I see nothing but chicks rollin in them over here and nothing but the elderly in fits around here.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
There are tons of articles out there on Chick cars and Guy cars. One of the better observations that cracked me up from another article was this:

---------
How do women decide which cars to buy?
"If you picture a fraction with cost as the denominator then, as the numerator, you have things like reliability, performance..." said Doug Scott, NOP World's automotive analyst.
He went on with a long list of factors.
To sum it up, women add up the good things, subtract the bad things, then compare the result with the cost of the car. Then they think carefully about the result.
Men, it seems, just add stuff up then wonder if they can afford it without having to switch to domestic beer.-------------

Source: What makes a 'Guy car'? It's simple - Jun. 14, 2005

If you look at the prices of the cars that are often listed as being "guy cars", they're ridiculously high-priced. And, in my opinion, make no sense at all. It costs a lot to buy, then it costs a lot to fill with gas and it uses a lot of gas. And it can't DO anything other than look pretty.

If they consider all relatively inexpensive cars as being "chick cars", what exactly are guys supposed to buy? Does the car have to make no sense at all in order to be a "guy car"?

And wouldn't it make a lot more sense for guys to buy cars that appeal to women? Think about it, fellas. Do you want guys to cluster around your ride telling you it's a real guy car? Or do you want women clustering around your car???

If you already have a girlfriend or wife, she probably thinks that FIT of yours is a smart buy. And that you're smart for choosing it.

I can't tell you how many stupid cars my former spouse brought home. Or other stupid moves he made via "guy stuff". Jet boat. Harley. Come ON! It's not practical or useful!!!

Old 06-30-2009, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
Fortunately, I'm secure enough in my gender identity that I can drive a Fit without feeling the least bit emasculated. Should that fail, well, there's still the Harley in the garage.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:31 PM
dgs
Manufactures don't make cars for girls and for boys, they make them for both sexes. Therefore I have never understood the term "chick car." Are there some cars that are more favored by girls than boys, yeah, the New VW Beetle comes to mind (with the little flower vase thingie) but I have even seen dudes driving those.

I make a very good living. If I wanted I could have afforded a car three times the price of my Fit (my car was $18,500 so you do the math) and that's not boasting, it is the truth. I suspect I'm not the only person here who could afford far more car than the Fit but bought one anyway because it takes care of all their needs. So the next time you see someone in a Fit don't assume they're a broke college kid! One of my co-workers just bought an Infiniti M45 sedan, fully loaded. The guy has an $1,100 a month car note and I know for a fact he makes less than I do because of his position, and I know it's a struggle to afford that monthly payment, but it was all about image. He has already boasted to a few of us how much the "chicks" dig his car when he goes out clubbing on the weekends. Pathetic. But he's only 28 and he's going through that whole young guy insecurity thing, where owning a really nice car validates your worth.

Lastly, any woman who would judge me for the car I drive and therefore wouldn't want to date me, is no woman I would want to be with in the first place. My long term girlfriend (five years) and I broke up only a couple of weeks before I bought my Fit five months ago, and I have not dated anyone new since then. But interestingly enough I do have a date this Saturday night and I can't wait to see her reaction to my Fit. If I catch any flack from her or sense her looking down on me the date will be over real fast. The Fit is a great car for exposing the gold digger snobs from those girls who have more substance and don't care about material things.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:15 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I wanted to buy the Fit because of number one the gas milage and number two I thought it was just the coolest looking car. This is the only car I have owned that has gotten such attention by other drivers on the road and people that have actually walked up and started a conversation about my car. I've never modded a car until this one and it has been a blast. I would only have respect and admiration for any guy who would own a Fit -
after all everyone is driving the same old tired cars out there - the Fit shows that we are not affraid to venture beyond what is normal! LOL

Cat :X

Old 06-30-2009, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
Don't worry, they're referring to the GD LOL! just kidding...

Old 06-30-2009, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
Wow, you mean driving a Fit might actually make me attractive to women??

Old 06-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
There are tons of articles out there on Chick cars and Guy cars. One of the better observations that cracked me up from another article was this:

---------
How do women decide which cars to buy?
"If you picture a fraction with cost as the denominator then, as the numerator, you have things like reliability, performance..." said Doug Scott, NOP World's automotive analyst.
He went on with a long list of factors.
To sum it up, women add up the good things, subtract the bad things, then compare the result with the cost of the car. Then they think carefully about the result.
Men, it seems, just add stuff up then wonder if they can afford it without having to switch to domestic beer.-------------

Source: What makes a 'Guy car'? It's simple - Jun. 14, 2005

If you look at the prices of the cars that are often listed as being "guy cars", they're ridiculously high-priced. And, in my opinion, make no sense at all. It costs a lot to buy, then it costs a lot to fill with gas and it uses a lot of gas. And it can't DO anything other than look pretty.

If they consider all relatively inexpensive cars as being "chick cars", what exactly are guys supposed to buy? Does the car have to make no sense at all in order to be a "guy car"?

And wouldn't it make a lot more sense for guys to buy cars that appeal to women? Think about it, fellas. Do you want guys to cluster around your ride telling you it's a real guy car? Or do you want women clustering around your car???

If you already have a girlfriend or wife, she probably thinks that FIT of yours is a smart buy. And that you're smart for choosing it.

I can't tell you how many stupid cars my former spouse brought home. Or other stupid moves he made via "guy stuff". Jet boat. Harley. Come ON! It's not practical or useful!!!
Very good article +rep...and my wife does think I'm very smart for buying a Fit. She didn't want me to get it at first but now she loves it. All the money we save on car payments/gas/and maint. I take her on vacations instead. (Just got back from a midwest road trip. Antigua vacation this winter and Portland, Oregon in the spring.) Thanks Honda for making a smart cheap car.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:08 PM
Our cars are just awesome, plain and simple. Slap some damn TINT, throw some sick wheels on, and drop the height 2+ inches, and I swear you will get looks nonstop. I got pulled over tonight for a headlight out (got off with a warning cuz of prior military lol) and first thing he said when he came back with the warning was "Honda Fit huh? Don't see too many of these" lol yeah he didn't really comment on the car itself, but still. I dunno. lol.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:11 PM
I went car-shopping with my girlfriend. We must've tried every single car under 40k that week. Not exactly fun.

The fit was the only car that we both agreed we liked.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by dgs
Manufactures don't make cars for girls and for boys, they make them for both sexes. Therefore I have never understood the term "chick car." Are there some cars that are more favored by girls than boys, yeah, the New VW Beetle comes to mind (with the little flower vase thingie) but I have even seen dudes driving those.

I make a very good living. If I wanted I could have afforded a car three times the price of my Fit (my car was $18,500 so you do the math) and that's not boasting, it is the truth. I suspect I'm not the only person here who could afford far more car than the Fit but bought one anyway because it takes care of all their needs. So the next time you see someone in a Fit don't assume they're a broke college kid! One of my co-workers just bought an Infiniti M45 sedan, fully loaded. The guy has an $1,100 a month car note and I know for a fact he makes less than I do because of his position, and I know it's a struggle to afford that monthly payment, but it was all about image. He has already boasted to a few of us how much the "chicks" dig his car when he goes out clubbing on the weekends. Pathetic. But he's only 28 and he's going through that whole young guy insecurity thing, where owning a really nice car validates your worth.

Lastly, any woman who would judge me for the car I drive and therefore wouldn't want to date me, is no woman I would want to be with in the first place. My long term girlfriend (five years) and I broke up only a couple of weeks before I bought my Fit five months ago, and I have not dated anyone new since then. But interestingly enough I do have a date this Saturday night and I can't wait to see her reaction to my Fit. If I catch any flack from her or sense her looking down on me the date will be over real fast. The Fit is a great car for exposing the gold digger snobs from those girls who have more substance and don't care about material things.
I'm right with you. My wife and I too make great money and both could afford more expensive cars. We are young (Me 27 Her 26) and have no kids so we bank what money we save on cars and travel with the rest. When I get old and can't travel or walk anymore then I will buy my expensive sports car and drive around everyday...lol.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:33 PM
I'm tempted to go buy a VW Beetle and a Del Sol and a Miata now.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:00 AM
Ein
5 Year Member
I wouldn't worry about it, unless your Fit's color happened to be Cool Rose Metallic.

Last edited by Ein; 07-01-2009 at 03:03 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:14 AM
Or whatever the Periwinkle blue is called. Heh.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by dgs
Manufactures don't make cars for girls and for boys, they make them for both sexes.
Actually that's not quite true. They ALWAYS have a target audience in mind. Sometimes it's an economic group, sometimes it's an age group, sometimes it's a lifestyle, sometimes it's gender. Usually it's a combination of those.

For instance the Element was directly targeted towards a male 20-something age group, outdoorsy lifestyle, college or college grad.

Cadillac's famous flop Catera was intended to attract younger buyers to the brand, particularly women. And ad featuring Cindy Crawford was actually discontinued because a sexy female model is probably not all the helpful in attracting other women to your product.

The fun irony is that in practice all this focus grouping often backfires. I'm sure Honda is pleased that the unusual Element ended up being a hot seller, but the outdoorsy male 20-something audience ran the other way while middle-aged folks in love with the SUV functionality in a compact size came buying in droves.

I have no evidence of what the Fit's target audience was meant to be. If I had to guess it was not gender-specific, though.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by dgs

QFT + Rep!
I agree! Although there are demographics with certain cars...they are definitely not gender specific.
Hell, my best friend drives a hot pink probe and he gets more chicks than any guy I know, haha.

Last edited by TekXoID; 07-01-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by jzerocsk

I have no evidence of what the Fit's target audience was meant to be. If I had to guess it was not gender-specific, though.
According to Honda, the Fit’s target market is first-time new car buyers, empty nesters, and those who are looking for a smaller affordable car with the flexibility to transport passengers and a wide range of cargo. After spending a week with the Fit, I’d have to say they’ve hit a bulls-eye! Honda aim to establish the Fit as “THE” car in the small car market.

Road Test: 2008 Honda Fit Sport :: PaddockTalk :: F1, Formula 1, NASCAR, IndyCar, MotoGP, ALMS, And More!

Old 07-01-2009, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TekXoID
QFT + Rep!
I agree! Although there are demographics with certain cars...they are definitely not gender specific.
Hell, my best friend drives a hot pink probe and he gets more chicks than any guy I know, haha.
That's not surprising, I thought that chicks LIKE hot pink probes!

Quick Reply: Holy Cow! I didn't know it was a chick car.