2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Engine light after new intake...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Engine light after new intake...

I just picked up my '09 CBP Fit sport and I'm very happy with the car. I have been reading these forums for several months in anticipation of getting a Fit, and I ordered a few goodies to bolt on before I took delivery of the car a week ago. Eibach springs, JDM tail lights, short shifter, center console/arm rest... and a Takeda cold air intake. I have been installing stuff as I have time after work.

Today, I installed the intake. It was very easy, and I am pleased that it seems to have made a small but noticable difference in power, as well as sounding racier without being excessively loud. However, no my check engine light is on. The MAF is installed and securely plugged in, and the single vacuum line is securely connected. Is this typical? Does the dealer have to reset the light?

I'd appreciate any insight anyone might have. The last new car I bought was a 1990 Miata, and I did a boatload more to the engine in that car without ever setting off the cel, so I'm hoping it's just something stupid... I hate seeing that light on in my brand new car, lol.

Thanks in advance

Old 06-26-2009, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
Try disconnecting the battery for about 10 minutes then reconnecting it and letting the engine run a bit. I've heard that that resets the ECU or something like that.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by cojaro
Try disconnecting the battery for about 10 minutes then reconnecting it and letting the engine run a bit. I've heard that that resets the ECU or something like that.
That is what I used to do with my '07 MX5...had a faulty gas cap that would trip the engine light (factory recall I never found time to get corrected at the dealer). Disconnect for 10~15 minutes and all was well (until it didn't seal properly and the light would come on again).

Make sure you know your stereo code I'm told it's actually listed on a sticker you can see when you open your glove box...

Old 06-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the replies. I did disconnect the battery during the installation, that was in the instructions supplied by Takeda. I will do that again tomorrow just to be sure.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
I noticed when doing my original cold air PRM that the MAF is longitudinal and looks like it could be installed backwards (I say that because the MAF looks directional) I almost reversed it from the stock direction because the wiring would route slightly better.
Dont know if that is it, but I did give it considerable thought during my CAI install which went well with NO CEL.

Otherwise could you have a leak in one of the intake connections? Accidentally pull a vac hose loose somewhere?

I dont remember a single report of a CEL as the result of an intake install on a GE

Old 06-27-2009, 09:47 AM
I have had my PRM intake on for a couple of months and never have gotten a CEL. A simple intake shouldn't throw a code. Make sure you check the maf for direction and make sure it is seated all of the way. Also check to make sure you didn't pull anything else loose during the removal of the stocker and install of the new.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:05 PM
i had that problem with mine too...and sometimes mine would lag big time...got tired of keep on having to unplug the battery..so i went back to stock

Old 06-27-2009, 12:27 PM
You would probably notice a vacuum leak from the way the car idles. I wonder if there is a problem with the diameter/ circum. of where the maf sensor is, knocking off the calibration or if there is a problem with the bends in the intake causing a disturbance with the airflow through the maf.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Problem solved...

I took the car back to the shop where I work to install the short shifter and console and mess with the intake and try to figure out my problem.

I disconnected the battery while I installed the shifter and console, and after I reconnected the battery I just let the car idle for a while. No engine light anymore. When I first put the intake in, I did disconnect the battery, but when I reconnected it I just started the car , revved the engine a bit to see how loud it was, and gave it a quick test drive up the street and back. I did not let the car idle for a while before I drove it.

Also, there was an issue with the fuel mileage meter that I did not mention in my first post. After I installed the intake initially, the meter took to swinging wildly between extremes, step on the gas a little, it went almost to zero, let off just a bit and it soars to eighty. Now it is back to behaving as it did before the intake installation. I drove it about 60 miles this afternoon and so far all seems perfect.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions