2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Is it ok to "patch" and AC Condenser instead of replacing it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Angry Is it ok to "patch" an AC Condenser instead of replacing it?

I just purchased a used 2008 Honda Fit with only 25K miles on it. I brought it in to Honda to get the AC checked and was told I needed a new AC Condenser that at some point, a rock had hit it and someone had attempted to repair it themselves. I contacted the dealership I bought it from (there's no way they didn't know about this) and they told me to bring it to THEIR Honda store, that they would fix it for me without any additional cost to me. Fast forward FOUR DAYS and I finally have my car back. Since it's not covered under my warranty, the second Honda dealership wouldn't fix it either, that the dealership I bought it from would have to pay for it. Well they obviously didn't want to do that so all they did was re-patch the patch. Since I was told by TWO Honda dealerships that I needed a NEW AC Condenser, does this sound fishy to you? How long is this "patch" supposed to last I asked...their response "indefinitely." Yeah right.

What ticks me off the most is that no one even told me that they were simply going to "re-patch" it so I assumed this whole time I was getting a new AC Condenser. It wasn't until they already did the work that I was told. I'm considering filing a formal complaint against the BBB. Not only was I not told the AC Condenser was damaged when I bought the vehicle but I didn't get the repair that I was promised.

Thoughts?

Last edited by acomma1; 06-26-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:38 AM
5 Year Member
I had a RX-7 years ago and I patched the condenser core at least three times (TIG welded) before I figured I would have been way ahead just going ahead and putting in a new one. I had A/C equipment to do the work...... Even when your work is "free" there is a practical limit to how many times you want to do it......

Most of the time the core is leaking multiple times because the systems has been breached and allowed moisture in the system. Over time the refrigerant will react with the moisture and form acids which will eat your core from the inside out. This is the reason its very important to not allow your system to leak and be depressurized during the non-use part of the cooler seasons. The system will "breathe" by the expansion and contraction of gas in the system.... during the contraction it will suck air and moisture into the system.

In your case (assuming that moisture intrusion was not allowed) then the issue will become heat transfer. Even though the core looks like a "ribbon tube" externally it is probably has multiple champers inside to promote heat transfer. Typical is 5 or 6 micro channels (or tubes cast into one piece) inside. When you spot repair a leak you usually end up plugging some of these micro channels. And the result will be less heat transfer capacity. Most cores are aluminum... and TIG welding was the only way I found to reliably patch. Using an epoxy or some other patch I don't think would likely hold over the long term.

The fact that the patch has failed at least once, and the fact that the heat transfer capacity has likely been compromised I would push them for a new condenser core.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:30 AM
Hmm, it depends on where the rock hit. If it was a clean break it could have been easily patched, but if it got lodged between several channels it will definitely not hold up. But thats when you are fixing it yourself for minimum cost, when it comes to a dealer, they usually always replace. Honestly, they sound cheap as hell!

I'm crazy so I'd buy a can of compressed air, blast the repaired spot with the freon by holding the can upside down for 30 seconds, and tap it with a hammer to make it shatter but just enough to make it look like an accident, then go to the dealer and say "bitches...your patch failed, replace it. now."

Old 06-29-2009, 12:26 PM
it all falls on this... "you get what you pay for"

Old 06-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by TekXoID
Hmm, it depends on where the rock hit. If it was a clean break it could have been easily patched, but if it got lodged between several channels it will definitely not hold up. But thats when you are fixing it yourself for minimum cost, when it comes to a dealer, they usually always replace. Honestly, they sound cheap as hell!

I'm crazy so I'd buy a can of compressed air, blast the repaired spot with the freon by holding the can upside down for 30 seconds, and tap it with a hammer to make it shatter but just enough to make it look like an accident, then go to the dealer and say "bitches...your patch failed, replace it. now."
Best...idea...ever!

Old 06-30-2009, 08:31 PM
JGW
I would talk to the general manager, or send an email or regular mail to the owner. If no joy, contact various local new organizations and see if they have interest in a story about dealerships screwing their customers.

Remember - patching is NOT fixing.

The BBB is almost worthless. You need to find a way were it would cost them more not to fix it. (Bad word of mouth, bad reviews, etc.). You could always file a complaint directly with Honda as well.