2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Tanabe NF 210 problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Tanabe NF 210 problems

I just got a set of Tanabe NF 210 fitted on my car and I am kind of disappointed in the end result.

The car lowered equal all around and the correct amount, but the car tends to sway and have more body roll than with stock springs driving in a straight line, going over very small bumps on the road.

Maybe I need time to adjust to the new feeling. Does anyone else feel the same way after fitting these springs? I had the fitting checked and they are installed perfectly

Last edited by Jo Jo; 06-15-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:18 PM
all lowering springs have increased spring rates... although nf shouldnt have THAT much of a difference.. when you increase the spring rates and have the same dampening... your going to get more "bouncing"... the shocks cant dampen as fast as the springs bounce...

Old 06-15-2009, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
I have DF210s installed on the car. Noticed more body roll than expected, but no "bounce" on the suspension that you described....yet. The ride is quite comfortably despite the higher spring rates.

Hope to correct the body roll with an auxiliary rear stabilizer bar in the near future.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Benggolf
I have DF210s installed on the car. Noticed more body roll than expected, but no "bounce" on the suspension that you described....yet. The ride is quite comfortably despite the higher spring rates.

Hope to correct the body roll with an auxiliary rear stabilizer bar in the near future.
really?
I have no body roll now. Stock was horrible body roll. Since the Df's my tires start sliding before I feel any body roll around the turn. Hope to resolve this with some lower profile tires.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
really?
I have no body roll now. Stock was horrible body roll. Since the Df's my tires start sliding before I feel any body roll around the turn. Hope to resolve this with some lower profile tires.
Maybe I should clarify. What I meant was that although the body roll was less compared to OEM, it was more that what I expected from my past experience with Eibach Pro-Kit.

Will definitely do the auxiliary rear stabilizer bar to minimize further the body roll.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jo Jo
I just got a set of Tanabe NF 210 fitted on my car and I am kind of disappointed in the end result.

The car lowered equal all around and the correct amount, but the car tends to sway and have more body roll than with stock springs driving in a straight line, going over very small bumps on the road.

Maybe I need time to adjust to the new feeling. Does anyone else feel the same way after fitting these springs? I had the fitting checked and they are installed perfectly

With any lowering with shorter but stiffer springs there must be less body roll. Weight closer to road and springs stiffer mean less body roll uinless the shocks have too little rebound, letting the inside rise up easily which would appear as body roll. . That unfortunately means less cornering power. You need to have some competent assistance.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Benggolf
Maybe I should clarify. What I meant was that although the body roll was less compared to OEM, it was more that what I expected from my past experience with Eibach Pro-Kit.

Will definitely do the auxiliary rear stabilizer bar to minimize further the body roll.
Oh ok I get ya. I think the overall high profile of the fit doesn't help either. I think my 95 Integra with Sprint springs had less body roll than my Fit with Df's but the Integra also had low pro tires.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
really?
exactly, I drove a stock fit the other day after driving mine for months on DF's and thought I was in my grandmothers Lincoln or something.

If you are experiencing increased body roll after lowering your car then something is wrong, although I will add beefier sway bars are ultimately what will make the most improvement in your cars handling.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:01 PM
also... just realized... did you do an alignment AFTER you installed? because bad alignment can cause a number of "bad suspension" symptoms...

Old 06-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
that's the result of progressive rate springs. now you need stiffer dampers and/or a stiffer rear swaybar.

let the modding begin. you gain some, you lose some.

this is why i dont recommend progressive rate springs. you want linear rate springs and
get the matching dampers in a set. ie: coilover kits.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dela
also... just realized... did you do an alignment AFTER you installed? because bad alignment can cause a number of "bad suspension" symptoms...
That's a rule of thumb (SOP) with me. Anytime I adjust or replace anything in my front suspension, I get a wheel alignment shortly after.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:45 PM
The garage aligned the car perfectly and yesterday they re-checked it.

It's hard to explain what the car really feels like now. I don't drive too fast and the car takes corners and U turns etc no problem at normal speeds. The car doesn't bounce too much from the front to back. It's more like side to side. It picks this up a lot driving in a straight line going over slightly uneven roads over 30 m\ph.

Actually, parking the car on a flat surface, I can rock the car from side to side very easily with my bare hands, so imagine what I am feeling when the car's moving.

These springs lowered the car F/20 mm and R/35 mm. Before the drop, the rear was much higher than the front, but now it's equal. Maybe with the rear higher it puts more weight on the front reducing this problem.

I have never had this problem lowering a car before. It has always made the car feel firmer, but comfortable. Maybe it's just the Tanabe springs being too soft.

Last edited by Jo Jo; 06-15-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:39 PM
The garage aligned the car perfectly and yesterday they re-checked it.

It's hard to explain what the car really feels like now. I don't drive too fast and the car takes corners and U turns etc no problem at normal speeds. The car doesn't bounce too much from the front to back. It's more like side to side. It picks this up a lot driving in a straight line going over slightly uneven roads over 30 m\ph.

Actually, parking the car on a flat surface, I can rock the car from side to side very easily with my bare hands, so imagine what I am feeling when the car's moving.

These springs lowered the car F/20 mm and R/35 mm. Before the drop, the rear was much higher than the front, but now it's equal. Maybe with the rear higher it puts more weight on the front reducing this problem.

I have never had this problem lowering a car before. It has always made the car feel firmer, but comfortable. Maybe it's just the Tanabe springs being too soft.
I'd try to contact Tanabe. Maybe you just got a bad batch. See if they will send you out a new set.
I had NF's on my CL-S and the springs def. didn't feel to soft to me.

What kind of springs have you lowered a car with before?

Last edited by Committobefit08; 06-16-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:28 PM
Tanabe-usa.com

Thank you for your inquiry,

Did you have a professional shop install the springs on your car? How long ago did you purchase these springs. and from where?

Also, please make sure you cut the OEM bumpstops (30% of the OEM) as well.

If you have any futher questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
The only thing the shop didn't do was cut the bumpstops 30%. Could it be the car is riding on these. The shop who installed the springs said it's not necessary to cut them.

Last edited by Jo Jo; 06-16-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:43 PM
I always cut mine. I cut mine in half when I installed my df's.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:07 PM
I cut 30% of the front bumpstops and it has made the car feel much better. Now the rear feels a bit harder than the front. I'm going to get the rear cut tomorrow, but I think I will try only 20% to help with rear weight.

Update: I had the rears cut and it rides perfect. It's a whole new driving experiance.

Last edited by Jo Jo; 06-19-2009 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Update
Old 07-05-2009, 12:15 AM
Lek
I had Nitrogen in my tires and it made the car feel soft and you could feel the Tanabe NF springs a bit.

I have since replaced the Nitrogen in my tires with normal air. It makes the tires feel harder and you can't feel the springs or body roll as much. Maybe just Physiological.

I quess, if you have hard springs use Nitrogen and softer springs use normal air. It seems strange, but it helps a bit.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lek
I had Nitrogen in my tires and it made the car feel soft and you could feel the Tanabe NF springs a bit.

I have since replaced the Nitrogen in my tires with normal air. It makes the tires feel harder and you can't feel the springs or body roll as much. Maybe just Physiological.

I quess, if you have hard springs use Nitrogen and softer springs use normal air. It seems strange, but it helps a bit.

You need to find another reason.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:13 AM
Lek
Either way Tanabe springs aren't very good. The only thing they do is lower the car a bit and there's no sag, but the ride isn't very good.

I tried changing from nitrogen to normal air and it felt a tad better. I don't know why, the local garage suggested it.

I am getting BC coilovers fitted on Friday, the ride will be firm, so I'll go back to nitrogen. Nitrogen only costs $1 in Thailand and normal air is free.

Last edited by Lek; 07-05-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
I cut 30% of the front bumpstops and it has made the car feel much better. Now the rear feels a bit harder than the front. I'm going to get the rear cut tomorrow, but I think I will try only 20% to help with rear weight.

Update: I had the rears cut and it rides perfect. It's a whole new driving experiance.
Looks like we have a moral to the story here.

BTW, is the rear toe adjustable on the GEs?

Quick Reply: Tanabe NF 210 problems