2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Not happy with the paint, scratches too easily

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
Luckily it wasn't through the clear...or I wouldn't have been able to get it out.
I used a three step polishing process.
Of course washed/clay bar (to remove contaminants in the paint)/ Then used Optimum poli seal three times to light polish the area with my dual action polisher (Portal Cable). First with a harsher pad (orange) then twice with a softer pad (green) to buff out any polishing swirls left by the orange pad. 32 oz. Optimum Poli-Seal
Then treated the car with Optimum Opti-seal to protect the paint. Optimum Opti-Seal Free Bonus!

Thanks, ..yea, the body shop thinks it will buff out ok.
I can take a finger nail and it indents a bit on a part of the scrape...so I take it this doesnt necessarily mean its right thru the clearcoat? It looks like there was a slight indent in your scrape(?)

To "lilaznphatboy"...well needless to say I wasn't too impressed and I talked to her and she was willing to pay for half, if it was going to cost me,but her "disability wasn't coming in yet for a couple of weeks" Then she proceeded to tell me she fell as she's had strokes.
So oy vey..what could I say...

Old 09-17-2019, 06:48 PM
The paint is a known issue, it is thin and VERY cheaply applied. The car was painted post assembly, so lots of areas are unpainted.

Why are you harassing each other about the "proper" paint technique and who gets through with no scratches... things happen, paint should be able to take some abuse. My 1997 Prelude has virtually flawless paint and that is because it is thick and higher quality, my 1991 is the same story. Honda saved cost and the paint sucks... I wish I could have paid for a proper paint job from the factory.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by preludes&fit
The paint is a known issue, it is thin and VERY cheaply applied. The car was painted post assembly, so lots of areas are unpainted.

Why are you harassing each other about the "proper" paint technique and who gets through with no scratches... things happen, paint should be able to take some abuse. My 1997 Prelude has virtually flawless paint and that is because it is thick and higher quality, my 1991 is the same story. Honda saved cost and the paint sucks... I wish I could have paid for a proper paint job from the factory.
Ten year old thread....you do realize?
I agree with the paint quality on the fit..very poor.
I also own and drive a 98 Prelude...the fourth Prelude I've owned. The paint on the Prelude looks like new and the 2010 Fit, that I also own, has multiple scratches from normal use.
The Prelude's doors and body panels are twice the quality of the Fits.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by preludes&fit

Not sure what you're on about about painting post assembly. You mean after most of the panels have been attatched, or after everything is put on? My '09 was painted the same way the Mercedes GLE, GLS and GLE coupe we build are, after the panels are attatched but before anything goes in it. Admittedly it was with pretty thin paint and clear.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member
A Prelude and Fit are not the same class of vehicle, IMO. Not saying the Fit paint is great but Prelude paint should be better seeing as it’s an upper trim.

Old 09-18-2019, 05:39 AM
5 Year Member
Paint goes cheaper every year...
Just sold a 2000 Civic with 260k km on it and the paint was almost like new.
My 2005 Accord with 180k km has cheaper paint, looks worst than the Civic, but better than the Fit.
My 2014 Fit with 85k km has the worst paint, but it is the newest car we own, with the less mileage.

I just think paint gets greener (water based paint now vs whatever they used before), so cheaper and also thinner to save costs and supposedly the environment. But in the end, if the paint is so cheap that I have to repaint the car or replace it twice as often, it is not better for the environment!

Was thinking of buying a Civic type R as my next car, but won't pay that much for a car that will look like crap in a couple of years because of the cheap paint.

Since I only own Hondas, I'm curious if it is the same for all manufacturers (new cars only since we know that older cars have better paint)...