2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Prm intake review

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Prm intake review

Ok let me first tell you this if you lose your stereo code the stock intake is a MAJOR pain in the butt to remove when you can’t take out the battery. Now with that said, I bout the PRM intake from Gerry and got the intake within a weeks’ time period from the point of purchase. It arrived clean and didn’t need to be wiped down at all (even thou I’m paranoid) and the instructions were newer- than previously reported with the proper corrections made. Then the whole process tool about 30min to remove that effin stock box and about 5min to install the PRM intake and adjust it to fit (hehe) perfect.(I will not go into more detail as there is a great how-to already on this intake in the forums. The only snag I had was when I went to start the car it stalled out within the first second but after the subsequent turnover its started up great and has since.

Fast-forward to a month later and 3 tanks of gas. For my first tank it was all city about 3.5 miles to my main workspace and 15 miles to my other. The end result was 32.8 MPG this was calculated by the odometer divided by how much it takes to fill-up the gas tank (all the tanks of gas were filled at the same gas station and at the same pump). I believe the fact that I frequently pushed the engine to roughly 5.5-6 rpms (since more noise makes you go faster lol).

So the next tank was a mix of city driving as reported above and highway driving (roughly 45 miles per trip taken on the highway). My style of driving was that of just shifting when it felt natural to do so(if that makes sense) not redlining but not shifting at 2 grand. The end result was a 38.6 mpg.

The final tank to which I filled up today was all city same rout as before with regular driving as stated with the second fill-up. The resulting tank was measured in at 34.5 mpg.Overall I’m happy with around 1-1.5 mpg improvement over the stock air-box.

Now, for the fun part the reason why I bought the intake from Gerry:

Sound: The great thing about this intake and this engine is that I can cruise at 3,000 rpms and there is no difference to me between it and the stock box sound wise. However if you go from 3-5 grand you get a pleasant deep growl. But if you venture into 5.5 and up it sounds as if your engine is yelling “FREEDOM” like Mel Gibson in Braveheart (lol). Overall I like it!

Performance: To me from a dig to 3 grand I feel as there is no gain or loss however the lower range feels smoother almost. In third gear you can actually now feel the v-tec crossover! From 3.5 rpms up you can feel the difference don’t get me wrong it’s not like slapping on a turbo but it is noticeable, especially in the 5.5 rpm range you can feel the engine cramming itself full of air and fuel. Overall I love it!!!!!!!!!!!

If there are any question I am happy to answer

Old 06-05-2009, 12:18 PM
i need an intake, but its definanetely not on top of the priority list!

Old 06-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Nice review and i feel the same way about PRM's performance. I drive mostly in the city and rarely if ever hit 5k rpm. By the time it hits 3.5k-4.5 rpm, I am already 20-30km over the speed limit.
I like the intake a lot. So much so that the radio is almost never on so i can hear it growl. I don't mind red lights any more as long as i am at the front. Love stepping on the gas and be the first one off the line.

At first i saw a little mpg improvement but now, i guess it is the way i drive, i lost about 15km per tank. Not concerned though because i am having a blast.