2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How to quiet a short ram intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
How to quiet a short ram intake

I just purchased and installed the PRM intake and really like the performance increase and sound, but unfortunately the sound is too loud inside the cabin. I have thought about using eDead 80 on the exterior of the filter to cut down on the sound level, but am not sure if that will work. Any ideas?

Old 05-28-2009, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
you can try eDead under the hood, in the firewall, i highly doubt it will work wrapping around the filter though

Old 05-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by RUFit
I just purchased and installed the PRM intake and really like the performance increase and sound, but unfortunately the sound is too loud inside the cabin. I have thought about using eDead 80 on the exterior of the filter to cut down on the sound level, but am not sure if that will work. Any ideas?
Yup, it can get loud.

Unfortunately, you'd best be served by insulating yourself from the sound as stated earlier, like through the firewall, interior etc.

I believe much of the sound is a byproduct of the speed/velocity at which the air passes through the whole system, and since there's no room room for the trickery employed by Honda in the stock intake, you won't be able to mitigate much of the noise at the intake itself.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
how bout put it back to stock.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
how bout put it back to stock.
I had thought about this, but I really want to keep the intake and just make it quieter at half to full throttle.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you for the advice. I had considered the firewall and hood for the edead as well, but was hoping for an easier/simple fix. Maybe this weekend I can do some testing and find out what parts of the intake actually make the loud deep throaty sound.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:32 PM
It's not the intake that makes the "loud, deep, throaty sound."

It's the valvetrain. Heh. Open intakes are loud. Open exhausts are loud. Just get used to it, or take it back to stock.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:00 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
go back to stock. unless you want the noise. the stock intake on the Fit isn't as bad as everyone thinks.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:06 PM
I like the stock intake. It'll make noise when you open it up, it flows well, and it doesn't look out of place in the engine bay.

And best of all, there's no droning at highway speeds.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
I was a little afraid of the newer PRM noise wise as it could not possibly be any closer to the driver.
I got and installed my PRM about 10 days ago, but I got the original PRM that has the intake way down by the bottom of the radiator.
The original is not that loud (obviously much farther away from the passenger compartment), but it only fits the manual tranny.
So if you got the MT see if Gerry will get you the longer intake, maybe exchange the tubes.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member
I do have an automatic so the other version is not possible. Last night I looked over the intake again and found that it had moved and was touching the metal bracket for the brake reservoir. For testing purposes I put a piece of rubber vacuum hose around the bracket to keep the intake from touching. On the drive to work today it was quieter and much more tolerable. Quite possibly it was the sound amplified by vibrating against the bracket. Now to find a more permanent solution. Thank you for all the help.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
Does anyone have a vid of the prm, maybe an in-car vid? I'm used to the sound from an AEM cold air, and I'd like to get the prm, but I don't want it to be annoying to my passengers, girlfriend mainly, haha.

I've heard a dyno vid with the prm, need to listen again before I drop the $ on one I suppose.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Thank you for the advice. I had considered the firewall and hood for the edead as well, but was hoping for an easier/simple fix. Maybe this weekend I can do some testing and find out what parts of the intake actually make the loud deep throaty sound.
It's the parts that aren't the intake that make the sound = the increased airflow/ air passage and the engine noise that escapes thru the intake. There is no way around the noise, you will find, apart from diminishing the performance of the intake - which defeats it's entire purpose!

Old 05-29-2009, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hondafrk
Does anyone have a vid of the prm, maybe an in-car vid?
Yep, sure do! Here ya go:

Stock - YouTube - Honda Fit 0-60 MPH

PRM installed - YouTube - 09 Honda Fit Sport A/T w/ PRM intake

One of the things I like about the PRM is that if you keep out of the high RPM range and shift early, it's pretty quiet, just a bit louder than stock. But yeah, if you mash on the throttle it growls and gets loud. With my wife in the car, or other passengers, I tend to shift early and use light throttle anyways, and even the first few times she drove the car herself with PRM installed, she commented that she liked it (citing smoother shifting through the gears AT). The PRM could also serve as a good reminder to conserve fuel...just keep out of the higher RPM range (and that PRM growl), and you'll know your shifting for maximum fuel efficiency. Of course this is all assuming you have the willpower to keep out of it!

Last edited by reako; 05-29-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
I dont know if you have played musical instruments, but the intake is about like a trumpet (more like a trombone actually)
Part of a trumpets sound comes from the fact that it is metal and bell shaped (basically like your PRM)

I think this will help, I have used it to quiet down performance snowmobile exhaust systems, and it quiets down snowmobile exhausts noticeably.
All you would be out is $10 and some time to try it. Many guys use this on cars to wrap headers, intakes and so forth. (car guys use it more to keep heat in or out, snowmobile guys use it to quiet exhausts so the DNR doen't give you a excess noise citation)
Pictured is the 15 foot roll of header wrap from Summit, my educated guess is you would get a 10-20 percent noise reduction.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tork
I dont know if you have played musical instruments, but the intake is about like a trumpet (more like a trombone actually)
Part of a trumpets sound comes from the fact that it is metal and bell shaped (basically like your PRM)

I think this will help, I have used it to quiet down performance snowmobile exhaust systems, and it quiets down snowmobile exhausts noticeably.
All you would be out is $10 and some time to try it. Many guys use this on cars to wrap headers, intakes and so forth. (car guys use it more to keep heat in or out, snowmobile guys use it to quiet exhausts so the DNR doen't give you a excess noise citation)
Pictured is the 15 foot roll of header wrap from Summit, my educated guess is you would get a 10-20 percent noise reduction.
Great suggestion, thanks Tork +1.... There may be other materials similar to this with even more sound deadening qualities as well, just need to be sure it's heat resistant to a high degree.

BTW here's a link:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1∂=DEI-010121&N=700+400384+115&autoview=sku

Last edited by reako; 05-29-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:52 PM
FYI: Wrapping everything that air comes through on a turbo'd car will reduce the turbo whine, and make the car more sleeper-esque. I'm talking intake plenums, fittings, etc. -- everything.

You can go from a car that's obviously turboed to a car that just sounds a little different.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
PRM sounds nice!

Old 05-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by reako
Yep, sure do! Here ya go:

Stock - YouTube - Honda Fit 0-60 MPH

PRM installed - YouTube - 09 Honda Fit Sport A/T w/ PRM intake
Looks like you have a CEL? Find out what it is and was it taken care of?

Old 05-29-2009, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dtmbmw325i
Looks like you have a CEL? Find out what it is and was it taken care of?
I forgot to plug in the intake sensor on first fire up after PRM install = CEL. Pulled negative battery cable for 10 min after this test run to clear it and it never came back. Other light is "VSA off".

Last edited by reako; 05-29-2009 at 10:34 PM.

Quick Reply: How to quiet a short ram intake