2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Edmund's shifter critique

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pilosopo
-edit- Do you like the shifter in your MINI? I drove my WRX to the dealer to test drive one when they came out, and I remember thinking how alike the two cars were for me in terms of shifting. Weird eh?
the stock MINI shifter on my 03 didn't feel all that great. so im using a weighted MOMO ball knob and a shortshifter to tighten everything up... so my car feels pretty damn good right now. the knob is exactly where it should be close to the steering wheel and the stroke throw is just right.

the MINI feels nothing like the bugeye WRX. first the WRX was only a 5sp where as the Cooper-S are 6sp. also the clutch pedal engages closer to the floor and the pedal itself is closer to the floor so you kind of push the pedal forward vs stepping on it like on most other cars. it was kinda werd at first but gotten use to it. the MINI's gearbox in stock form was still waaay better than the bugeye WRX because it had less play and sloppiness.

the Fit's gearbox is yet quite a leap forward vs the MINI's gearbox was in stock form. and the clutch pedal is so light no issue in heavy traffic either. for a dd, the Fit's manual gearbox is just right, imho. the clutch is a tad too light for 'motoring' fun though. it lacks the sportiness when it's light like that.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:31 AM
5 Year Member
the clutch should catch a little earlier imo, test drove a 6sp TSX and 6sp IS250.. same thing! clutch caught at the very top... I think the stock knob REALLY kills the shifting feel. I mean... It's plastic for goodness sakes! who knows how much it flexes while you move it around. When my car left the dealership it already had a new knob on, i tried the stock one once for about half a day and couldnt wait to take it off, it's just too bulky and the plastic ruins all the feel

btw im running only hard mounts from H-Fit. Made shifting much crisper for 2-3 and 4-5 shifts

Old 03-05-2010, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
I dunno, the stock shifter on both GDs and GEs seems perfectly fine to me...although it's a little prone to baulking. Or maybe that's a set of worn synchros talking.

I do have to agree with the clutch takeup being a little too soft. If you're hustling a 1-2 shift and want a snappy change, the clutch sometimes has other plans of its own and likes to take a split-second to ponder things.

The shift knob...well personally I never understood the appeal of metal knobs. They're either too hot or too cold to touch, and most of the time people here don't wear gloves when driving. The GD's dimply stock knob does it for me, I like how it hearkens back to the VW Golf GTI Mk1's "golf ball" shifter.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
The GE8 shifter feels very loose. It needs to feel a litte more direct. I love how my DB8's shifter felt. The best Honda shifter I've felt is the AP2.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
The GE8 shifter feels very loose. It needs to feel a litte more direct. I love how my DB8's shifter felt. The best Honda shifter I've felt is the AP2.
I recently installed in the Mugen quick shifter and that really tightens up the shifts and gives it that notchy more direct connection feel. It was a bit spendy, but worth it in my opinion. Not sure it's on par with the S2000, but it's probably the best (for a economy car) I've used.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
i wanted the golf ball shift knob! i thought my fit would come with it but no go... i think in the US alot of those knobs kept breaking apart?

Old 03-05-2010, 03:22 PM
I don't have alot of experience with cars. The FIT is my first car ever. But I don't like the shifting to 1st or 2nd gear. Sometimes the shift (the motion of going from any gear->neutral->1 or 2) just isn't smooth. For the 2nd gear I really have to use alot of force. And often when going to first gear there is like an obstruction. First part of the motion is smooth but then theres an obstruction and then I have to push it further. After it feels like it falls in place. Is that the notch? The other gears are just so smooth. I don't feel any metal touching any metals, no obstructions or anything. But sometimes I do get that smooth motion for the first gear. Is this speed related or something? Ofcourse I fully press the clutch before doing any movements with the shifter.

Often I switch quickly back to neutral and then to 1st or 2nd again to make sure that I did it right and that the lever isn't somewhere halfway there or something. Pretty annoying. The shifter is definately a negative for me. I also often just shift to 3rd at lower speeds since that seems to be much easier then trying to consistently rev match the 2nd gear

If it is because of me then I'd like to hear criticism and change my driving style.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:51 PM
LOVE my 5spd....

Here is what "Car and Driver" said about the 2009 Fit Sport manual transmission:
"As before, the standard five-speed manual transmission is a pleasure to use. Internal ratios are taller, but the final drive is shorter, leaving all ratios except fifth shorter overall. The new Fit gets to 60 mph in 8.5 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 16.6 seconds at 83 mph."

Here is Car and Driver's take on the 09 Fit Sport Auto that they compared to the outgoing 08 Fit Sport Auto:

"How Much Slower, You Ask (vs the auto 08)?

When we got the acceleration test results, they were all positive. That’s positive in a bad way, as in, “We’re sorry, Mr. Gluckman, but the test came back positive.” With the Sport automatic, the sprint to 60 took an extra 1.4 seconds (9.9 vs. 8.5), and the quarter-mile was accomplished 1.0 second slower (17.6 vs. 16.6) at a lower speed (79 mph vs. 83). Skidpad grip and braking performance from 70 mph were basically unchanged."

Old 03-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
wilcoholic - take your time between 1-2 shift because the ratio is farthest. the syncro needs time to slow down the collar before it can align itself and insert into 2nd gear. you will feel resistance if you go too fast.

for getting into 1st gear.. before coming to a complete stop at the light, step on
the clutch (clutch-in) and while it's rolling forward, shift the lever into 1st, stop,
and then put the gear in neutral (clutch-out) while you wait.

this way when the light turns green your collar is already aligned and it's easy to get
the shifter back into 1st gear.

also double clutching helps if you need to get into 1st gear while the car is going faster than 5-10mph.
you will need to do 2-N-1 (clutch-in/out before both N and 1) and blip the throttle pretty high so the collar can align itself.

probably a good idea for some of you to check out how stuff works and see how manual transmissions work.

www.howstuffworks.com

Old 03-05-2010, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wilcoholic
If it is because of me then I'd like to hear criticism and change my driving style.
It's totally you…or there is something wrong with your particular car. Get someone more experienced to drive it and give you his/her opinion. I've driven manuals for over 30 years in IMHO, the Fit has the smoothest shifter/clutch I've ever driven. It. is. an. absolutle. dream!

Now to the article.

ARTICLE SAYS: "I don't think the Honda Fit's shifter is mechanically attached to the transmission. It is so ridiculously light and devoid of any resistance, moving the stick through its gates feels more like the manual shifter on an arcade game."

(WARNING! If you don't like politically-incorrect remarks, skip the rest)

That's like saying the $500 hooker I ordered had smoothly-shaved legs and smelled good…and she only cost me $200. I like 'em hairy and smelly so I am disappointed."

That's a complaint? Honestly, this is such a ridiculous complaint that I am waiting to find that it was written for The Onion.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:02 PM
my 09's stock feel was horrid, light and lifeless, just with a new knob it was a huge difference but now i have the h-fit hard mounts and the t1r short shifter and it loves to WOT all day now, effortlessly lol

Old 03-05-2010, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
i thought the fit was way to easy to shift too when i first owned it, its like it clicks into place, and its so light it feels more like your shifting the car with your fingers more so then your hand.

i personally kinda like it.. like this

Old 03-06-2010, 09:21 AM
The clutch and shifter movement in our 09 are very light. That is not a bad thing, actually it's very good for the wife as it is her car.
Going from the Fit to my 05 GTO makes the GTO feel like a tank. The Fit is not as precise as our 03 Acura RSX type S was, but it is very nice.
I think it fits the overall feel of the car. Light and nimble.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
Well the gearbox and shifter feel better than my dad's 05 Pt Turbo with a GeTrag. And that's saying something.